Corsair Community

New User, questions (noise and temps)

zbose

So I read the reviews and decided on a hydrocool 200ex for my barton 3000+ system. My system has always run hot (slk900 w/ 92mm fan), seeing temps up to 58C, case temp of 33C, under extereme, long term load. More often around 55C when playing games. It is rock solid stable so that never bugged me. But I want to start pushing it a bit, maybe a modest overclock. So I got the Hydrocool, installed it, and now i have questions! 1) I can't seem to find any posts (when I search) older than 2003. Am I missing something? 2) This thing is not any quieter than my old setup, just deeper pitched. I get a noise that sounds a bit like static (schkhkchk quiet schkkkk) that I think maybe the pump "bleeing air" but I don't know how to get rid of it. Its been running straight for two days now. I also have the hum of the pump. I am using the entire bottle of stuff corsair included, and distilled water up to the bottom of the threads in the res. 3) My water temp has settled at about 29-33 C. My processor remains around 38C average (as high as 44 C though) and my case is about 28C (got some hot ram/vid cards). Are these temps appriopriate? I keep seeing people talking about 30C or less proccessor temps with overclocks! 4) The temperature readout is very jumpy, it never stays at one temp for more than 1/2 a second, constantly increasing/decreasing/increasing about .5 C. Is that typical? Thanks! So far I love this thing, just trying to get the kinks worked out. -zb

I'm also pretty new to the Hydrocool, but I'm real good at general cooling problems, or at least so people tell me. For a AMD system your temps sound a bit high. First thing you need to do is look at your room temp. At a room temp of 24c and 100% full load on a fully OC'd AMd my CPU temp is 38c. As room temp goes up, so will the temps of the Hydrocool and your CPU. It looks to me that you might need to look at your case air flow, your case temps seem pretty high to me. Even when you're water cooling you still need to have good air flow in your case to cool the rest of your HOT cards and such. You need to have cool air coming in and a way for the hot air to be removed. I would say at least 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan in addition to the fans in your PSU. Case temp is just like room temp, the higher the case temp the hotter the rest of the system. My case temp never goes higher than 2c above room temp, but I've got some extreme air flow in my case, 7 case fans, all rounded cables and all PSU wires are sleeved and routed out of the way of the air flow. As for the noise that you're getting, I was getting the same thing for the first few days. It was the air working its way out of the system. What I was told to do about this was to rock the HC gently from side to side, up and down and all around to try and get any trapped air out of its little hiding places. I even turned it upside donw for a short time, it needs to be 100% full when you do this or the low level alarm will sound. Anyway, I hope this helps you out a little.

[quote name='Bio-Hazard']For a AMD system your temps sound a bit high. First thing you need to do is look at your room temp. At a room temp of 24c and 100% full load on a fully OC'd AMd my CPU temp is 38c.[/QUOTE] My room temp is highly variable, but I would say its generally around 24c. [quote name='Bio-Hazard'] I would say at least 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan in addition to the fans in your PSU. Case temp is just like room temp, the higher the case temp the hotter the rest of the system. My case temp never goes higher than 2c above room temp, but I've got some extreme air flow in my case, 7 case fans, all rounded cables and all PSU wires are sleeved and routed out of the way of the air flow. [/QUOTE] I have a Lian-LI case with two intake fans that blow past the harddrive, and one outtake fan in addition to the PSU. I think what gets my case so hot is that I have overvolted ram, 4 cards, one being a 9800 pro which gets hot when I play games, and a serial ata harddrive. I have SATA cables or rounded cables and pretty clean looking case. Maybe my ambient temps are just higher than I think. [quote name='Bio-Hazard'] As for the noise that you're getting, I was getting the same thing for the first few days. It was the air working its way out of the system. Anyway, I hope this helps you out a little.[/QUOTE] As for the air sound thing, that has indeed seemed to go away. But the hum of the pump is still louder than I had anticpated. Oh well, can't have everything. Thankyou for your help!

[quote name='zbose']1) I can't seem to find any posts (when I search) older than 2003. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE] Not really. A couple of years ago there was a ... snafu ... and a lot of older posts went bye-bye. IIRC, the Corsair ones remained intact, only the HoH posts were affected, although I could be wrong about that. Earliest post I could find (by trying post #s) was 10-22-2002, although if you check RamGuy's stickies, some of them are dated March 2002. I think later I'll do a more in-depth check to see what the oldest post is... Too bad, there were some great threads back in the day... :(

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using the Hydrocool since early on. I have found that simply adding pressure to the pump fixed my pump noise. I determine dthis by running it and pressing againt the pump with my hand. After determing that helped, I simply zip tied the (pump) to an internal piece and thus applied a constant low pressure. Obviously you do not want to stress it too much! As I recall there was a bar of sort coming off of the internal cage that I strapped it to. Since then NO noise. For a long time I thought my Raptor hard drive never made any noise (when I had air cooling). Since strapping my hydrocool I realized that the raptor does make noise! Hope that helps, BOb

[quote name='zbose']So far I love this thing, just trying to get the kinks worked out. -zb[/QUOTE] Got an old AT Power Supply to power the unit.(so not to power your MB) whiile the CPU block is flat Level on the floor and with the hoses pointing to the ceiling, with the res filled to top an capped, an unit on chair then move hydrocool box every way to burp out air in system, then check res an fill again repeat movements , then place on chair an open cap, while pump is running ,get so tissues place around filler hole now fill to 1/2 way up the threads of res then screw cap in tight. you can also try using a cpu shim make sure its barton approved anoob KC

Archived