Corsair Community

ASUS P4G8X Deluxe & TWINX512-3200LLPT Problems

Roland Deschain

I just put together a new system, and I’d like some help isolating a hardware issue that I’m having. [U][B]The System:[/B][/U] [B]MB (new):[/B] Asus P4G8X Deluxe [B]CPU (new):[/B] Intel Pentium4 3.0GHz (Northwood core, 800FSB, 15x multiplier) [B]RAM (new):[/B] Corsair TWINX512-3200LLPT Note: DIMMs installed in A1/B1 sockets on mainboard for dual-channel operation [B]Video:[/B] Nvidia GeForce2 Ultra 64MB AGP4X [B]SCSI:[/B] Adaptec AHA-2940U2W (PCI) [B]Audio:[/B] Creative SB Live! 5.1 Value [B]HDD1:[/B] SCSI – IBM DHRS 36GB 7200RPM UW(40MB/s) – Boot device + system partition [B]HDD2:[/B] ATA – WD1200JB 120GB 7200RPM [U][B]The BIG problem:[/B][/U] I put just the basic components (ram, cpu, video) onto the board and fired it up. I got the default BIOS setup screen and made these changes: CPU Speed: Manual FSB Speed: 200 AGP/PCI: Manual, locked @ 66/33 Vcore: Manual, 1.55v Chip timings: By SPD (BIOS showed 2-2-2-5 :confused: ) Disabled: both serial ports, legacy USB, audio, midi, spdif, firewire Set primary video to AGP device I got no boot, no beeps, nothing. The monitor went into power save mode. So, I cycled the power and dropped the FSB back to 100MHz. System boots OK. I began upping the FSB in 10MHz steps, and it booted fine until I got to 190MHz. I backed it down to 180MHz and began stepping it up in 1MHz increments. The cutoff point was 184MHz, and I had to raise the DDR voltage to 2.6v to get it there. Any higher FSB setting would not boot at all. I installed the SCSI and sounds cards, but I had major OS problems (Win2K-AS), lots of different BSODs, etc. Downloaded MemTest86 ([url]http://www.memtest86.com[/url]) and let it run. The standard memory test produced MILLIONS of memory errors. So, I started backing down the FSB in 1MHz steps and repeating the memory tests (also reduced DDR volts back to 2.5). The memory tests only run consistently without error with the FSB at 178MHz. Any higher setting produces errors. [U][B]The Ancillary Problem:[/B][/U] So, I’m aggravated that my 3.0GHz is actually running at 2.66GHz and my PC3200 (DDR400) RAM is running around 356MHz. I downloaded the latest version of CPU-Z and ran it. Sure enough, it identifies the CPU as a 3.0GHz model, running at 2670MHz on a 178MHz system bus. No surprise here. The interesting detail, however, was the Memory Report. It shows both DIMMs running at 2.5-3-3-7 timings!!! I ran the CPU-Z SPD report, and the chip tables call for 2-3-2-6 timings. So, I go back to the BIOS and set the chip timings manually to 2-2-2-5, which worked for THG. Run CPU-Z again and NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The RAM is still actually running at 2.5-3-3-7. I go back to BIOS and set timings to 2-3-2-6 to match the SPD report. Run CPU-Z once more and it’s STILL THE SAME 2.5-3-3-7 timings. So, I tried backing the FSB down to 133MHz. NO CHANGE. Backed it down to 100MHz, still no change. As a side note, I’ve tried toggling both the DRAM Idle (16T/Infinite) and the Memory Turbo (Auto/Enable/Disable) in the BIOS with no effect. Nothing I do will get the memory to run at timings faster than 2.5-3-3-7. [U][B]The Rest:[/B][/U] I’m very familiar with hardware and utilities, but I’m not sure how to proceed with a diagnosis here. I was basically modeling this system after an article published by Tom’s Hardware Guide ([url]http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030429/index.html[/url]), and the only difference is that they used the 1004g BIOS while I have the newer 1006g. Otherwise, it’s the same board, same RAM, same CPU. The bottom line is this: I have a CPU designed to run at 3GHz and matched low-latency DDR400 DIMMs, so I’m not really “overclocking” the components. I just want them to run at their designed speeds (200MHz FSB) and timings (2-3-2-6). I’d appreciate any input, suggestions, ideas, etc.

• Corsair Employees
First thing: This MB will only officially support 533FSB CPU's! Second thing, CPU-Z is likely showing the SPD settings, but to be sure I would use Aida32 and see what the chipset is actually running at! You are welcome to try and run with the Rass to Cass set to "2". However, I would suggest you use Cass 2-3-2-6 till you find the top end of the chipset; probably about where you are now unless you have some really good cooling for the Chipset. Last thing, its not uncommon to have the timings be forced to a more relaxed setting by the bios in an extreme O.C. It should not happen, but I have seen this with a few different MB’s

Thanks for the response...I wasn't familiar with the Aida utility, but it was simple enough to figure out. It confirms the CPU-Z results...the RAM is in fact running at 2.5-3-3-7 Not sure why my BIOS sees the SPD timings as 2-2-2-5, so I have it set manually to 2-3-2-6, per the actual SPD and published specs. Doesn't matter...still running at the slower timings. This is also true when I clock the board's FSB to the "official" 133MHz setting, or any other value. As for the CPU being different...it really isn't. It's just a 15x multiplier and runs at slightly lower voltage than it's 533 cousins...a voltage that I have manually locked at 1.55v as per the spec on the CPU box.

• Corsair Employees
The first and third Pic show the SPD is set to Cass 2.0 at DDR400; so the SPD is set correctly. I would have to assume there is some bios issue as that’s the only possibility that I can see from what you have posted!

Archived