Corsair Community

PSU to power fans/lights

6806goats

Greetings all.

Hey I'm building a plywood box (24"w x 24"d x32"h) for my Ham Radio system and am using 12v fans to help cool it. Also have some 12v mod lights I want to use to light up the inside but not sure how much noise they'll inject into the radio.

Was looking at the 750TX and noted some problems so now I'm not sure which way to go. The radio is a Flex 5000A which uses a stand alone computer as the radio is Software defined. No knobs but uses the processor to control everything. Will use an older P4 3Ghz laptop for now but plan on building a newer system later on. That's the reason I'm going overboard now but until I do build a system I won't be able to fully load the PSU. Are Corsair PSU current sensing and if enough amps aren't needed will it operate? Might be better to get the lowest wattage PSU for now and then when I build, factor in all the components.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 years later...

Holy smokes RG, I reply 2 yrs late? Thank you for asking. I was going to use a seperate PSU for lights and fan but the project got indef side tracked. Still working in Iraq but haven't operated the radio.

Came here to register my computer parts (AX850 and 6 GB of ram) and went looking to see what post I had. :o: Sorry about that but now that I have made a purchase, maybe I'll visit more frequently.

Best regards,

Goats.

• Corsair Employees
Holy smokes RG, I reply 2 yrs late? Thank you for asking. I was going to use a seperate PSU for lights and fan but the project got indef side tracked. Still working in Iraq but haven't operated the radio.

Came here to register my computer parts (AX850 and 6 GB of ram) and went looking to see what post I had. :o: Sorry about that but now that I have made a purchase, maybe I'll visit more frequently.

Best regards,

Goats.

Haha no problem! Let us know if you have any questions!

Just one more question. I think I screwed up by not getting a big enough PSU and should have gone with the AX1200. I haven't seen anything about upgrades like EVGA has so I don't think it's possible...but is it? :D:

NewEgg has a 60 days return but wonder if shipping the 850 back and then shipping the 1200 back out might make it cost prohibitive. Now thinking of running a pair of EVGA GTX 470's. All about planning...or lack there of. Still debating on why I need 2 GPU's as I don't even own a video game yet. I just know that I want to run a couple of monitors for flight sim.

Something about the old adage...build it and they will come. :D:

Archived