Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX Low Everest Copy performance

voventus

Hello to everyone!

I just bought a 2x2Gb TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX Corsair memory, replacing my 2x1Gb ******** Memory. I noticed that in Everest v4.6 the memory Copy performance is very low comparing to my old ******** memory.

With Corsair i have: Memory Read 6842, Memory Write 7044 ad Memory Copy only 4686, with the latency at 70,6ns

With ******** i had: Memory Read 7364, Memory Write 7094 ad Memory Copy 6217, with the latency at 66.8ns

Both configurations run with 4-4-4-12 timings at 2.1V

I found also this article http://www.r3view.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1035&Itemid=56&limit=1&limitstart=3

where, with this Corsair memory, the guys have very good copy performance (6260), and they only have a better CPU than mine (E8500 vs E8300).

I am running an E8300 cpu on MSI P35 Neo2-FR and ECS 8800GT vga card with Vista SP1 32bit.

What can be the problem of so poor performance?

Thanks

They were very likely using an ASUS motherboard which has a memory speed technology that your MSI board can not compete with.

You can overclock your system a bit to get better performance though.

EDIT:

Yes, they were using a

Mainboard: ASUS P5K-E WiFi/AP

http://www.r3view.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1035&Itemid=56&limit=1&limitstart=2

ASUS Super Memspeed Technology Enhances Memory Speed up to 75%

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1655&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534

They were very likely using an ASUS motherboard which has a memory speed technology that your MSI board can not compete with.

Ok, but why this difference between my old and my new memory (about 30% loss in Memory copy). This isn't normal, doesn't it?

You were using 2 X 1024MB. Just as lower density DRAM modules overclock a fair bit better than higher density DRAM modules, there is also a better DRAM throughput with lower density modules vs higher density modules. You will lose more speed if you populate all four DRAM slots also.

If I were you, I would perform a nice light and safe overclock and get up to speed. :):

You were using 2 X 1024MB. Just as lower density DRAM modules overclock a fair bit better than higher density DRAM modules, there is also a better DRAM throughput with lower density modules vs higher density modules. You will lose more speed if you populate all four DRAM slots also.

If I were you, I would perform a nice light and safe overclock and get up to speed. :):

Thanks, I will try.

I just noticed that when I'm running on Windows XP the memory Copy of the Corsair is very close to my old one (about 6200). Very interesting....

Can this be a Vista SP1 issue?

Use Memtest. Check the speeds in Memtest. Then insert the old ones and test with Memtest again. This will give you a clear indication. There will be a difference between higher density and lower density all other variables equal. How large a difference is not so definite, depending on the motherboard, chipset, etc. etc.

This is a quantification of read/write/move/copy --> Access and Load.http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/d89e707c7.jpg

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Download Real Temp from-->

To be certain of both CPU and Memory, use the Intel Linpack CPU/Memory test.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Set to these values:

Advanced BIOS Features

Cell Menu

FSB/Memory Ratio

DOT Control = Disabled
Intel EIST = Enabled
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 400MHz (1600Mhz QDR)
Adjust CPU Ratio = 8.5

Advanced DRAM Configuration = Manual
Memory Clock = 800
Memory Timings = Manual
DRAM CAS# Latency (tCL) = 4
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) = 4
DRAM RAS# Precharge (tRP) = 4
DRAM RAS# Active to Precharge (tRAS) = 12
DRAM tRFC = 52
DRAM tWR: 11
DRAM tWTR = 11
DRAM tRRD = 11
DRAM tRTP = 11 
Adjust PCI-e Frequency = 100Mhz
Auto Disable DIMM/PCI Frequency = Enabled

CPU Voltage = Auto
Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Memory Voltage = 2.1v
NB Voltage = Auto
SB Voltage = Auto
FSB VTT Voltage = Auto

Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test. This will give you 3.4Ghz on the CPU and no needed extra voltages at that light overclock.

I just bought a 2x2Gb TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX Corsair memory, replacing my 2x1Gb ******** Memory. I noticed that in Everest v4.6 the memory Copy performance is very low comparing to my old ******** memory.

With Corsair i have: Memory Read 6842, Memory Write 7044 ad Memory Copy only 4686, with the latency at 70,6ns

With ******** i had: Memory Read 7364, Memory Write 7094 ad Memory Copy 6217, with the latency at 66.8ns

Both configurations run with 4-4-4-12 timings at 2.1V

{snip}

I am running an E8300 cpu on MSI P35 Neo2-FR and ECS 8800GT vga card with Vista SP1 32bit.

What can be the problem of so poor performance?

Thanks

For comparison, here are my results with Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX (run with 5-5-5-18 timings at 1.8V):

Memory Read 6894, Memory Write 7082 ad Memory Copy 5351, with the latency at 73,3ns

The above results are typical for a system which must adhere to the strict JEDEC reference standards for memory latency timings and voltage. Also, my Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU runs at only an actual 2.66GHz (versus the Core 2 Duo E8300's true clock speed of 2.83GHz).

In this case, then there is something on your system that's bottlenecking your system's memory performance. Also, different IC chips, even of the exact same density, can perform differently.

Archived