Corsair Community

ACER 1652 2GB upgrade and crash

majordom

Hi guys

thanks for this service. first of I speak little english and a PC newbee. I just bought 2 x 1GB DDR2 VS1GSDS533D2 for my ACER 1652 (recommended) but after several hours (watched 2 movies) laptop crashed. Blue screen. Reboot and crash on reboot. I removed Sticks and use old ones. I am not overclocking, no virises found. Any suggestions? Thanks

Does the BIOS allow you to load setup defaults? There can be issues transitioning to new DRAM when the OLD settings are still running in the BIOS.

Can you contact Acer and see what instruction they give you for resetting the BIOS to re-enumerate the BIOS for the new DRAM?

I Didn't understand this passage The old settings. I check on HD properties and it was 2 GB? How can I know it's old still settings. Thks

Look through your BIOS. See if you see something like "Setup Defaults", "Optimized Defaults", etc.

Alternatively, you can try to restore your BIOS by pressing and holding the F10 key as you turn on the computer. While continuing to hold the F10 key, you should hear two beeps indicating that the settings have been restored. This used to work with Acer but I'm not certain if it does with the newer machines.

OK first of, ACER costomer service is not answering if you add extra components, results: go scrw yourself. Next I tried the F10 press on boot but nothing apparently happened, oh yes, a lot of bip bip bip errors. Then I upgraded my drivers (bios I still don't know) and it's working. I watched two movies, opened many windows, but don't know what to do really. I'm just afraid the crash comes again. Let see. I'll repost tonite to confirm good work. Thks

Next I tried the F10 press on boot but nothing apparently happened, oh yes, a lot of bip bip bip errors. Then I upgraded my drivers (bios I still don't know) and it's working. I watched two movies, opened many windows, but don't know what to do really. I'm just afraid the crash comes again. Let see. I'll repost tonite to confirm good work. Thks

Alternatively, you can try to restore your BIOS by pressing and holding the F10 key as you turn on the computer. While continuing to hold the F10 key, you should hear two beeps indicating that the settings have been restored.

The Beeps are not errors. When you press F10 on boot and hold it, you reset the BIOS to default. Hearing those Beeps is a good thing, it means that ACER is still using the key command function to reset the BIOS.

Let us know how it goes. It sounds as the BIOS has now re-enumerated the extra DRAM.

Hi, everything seems OK till now. I don't know about the F10 key. I seemed It was the same sound when I pressed other F keys wrongly at boot: after some time the computer bip several times, seems not to like it. I still don't know how to upgrade the BIOS. My bios is 2005 version 3A33. On the ACER site there is 3 proposals (for ACER 1650 with XP): 3A41, 3A43 for intel UMA and 3A45 for ATI M22 M24, M26.) This is the page http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_1650.html) My ATI is radeon 300, so is it 3A41 for the update? and what to do with the ZIP file I'll download. 1 question: is it necessary to update the BIOS?

Just after writing the previous message Kboum, explorer.exe shut down, then firefox, then blue screen reboot and crash several times, very similar than last time. On reboot the HDs checked show many errors in sectors, with the old sticks no errors on HD (what is true?). I removed the new sticks. Don't know what to do. Update the bios? Kill Bill? Why is it not working as supposed to? It a very normal laptop, no fancy use of it. thank you for your help.

Archived