Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME & TWIN2X2048-8500C5D x2 - Restart Loop

DigitalDJ

Hi,

I previously had an ASUS P5K Deluxe which was full of problems. Random No POSTs and all the rest. As far as I know these POST problems with the P5K were due to RAM and the P35 chipset. I could never get it running reliably, even with 1 stick of RAM.

I recently purchased a Gigabyte EP45-EXTREME and I am having trouble trying to get my TWIN2X2048-8500C5D modules to work with it.

I currently have:

TWIN2X2048-8500C5D v1.2 (marked 5-5-5-15)

TWIN2X2048-8500C5D v1.2 (marked 5-5-5-18, which I've been told is a misprint)

TWIN2X2048-8500C5D v2.3 (marked 5-5-5-15)

Straight off the bat I installed 4GB of RAM (4x1GB) and got stuck in an endless reboot loop - nothing was displayed on the screen, it just kept powering on and off. The little debug LED on the motherboard gets to "C1 - Detect Memory - Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC", then it restarts.

I tried single sticks to find that both v2.3 modules work fine. 1 of the v1.2s (marked 5-5-5-15) also works, the other in that pair does not. None of the v1.2s marked 5-5-5-18 worked.

When I received the board it was revision F4, only the v2.3 modules worked. I flashed the BIOS to the latest revision, F8 and then got that extra v1.2 module working.

I know for a fact that the v1.2 modules aren't faulty, they were previously being used in the P5K. Is there something I'm missing or something I have to set in the BIOS to get these to work properly?

I have cleared the CMOS and the BIOS is at the latest version, F8.

Is there anything I can do to get these working? It's very frustrating, I really don't want to go out to buy another pair, but I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and buy 2x2GB, sigh.

I really don't want to go out to buy another pair, but I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and buy 2x2GB, sigh.

It's really the best way to go. With DRAM prices so low.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) @ ($79.00 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate )

However, let's give it the college try.

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of v2.3. Restart. Enter the BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before. Enter these values:

MIB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)

Robust Graphics Booster: Auto
CPU Clock Ratio: 10x
Fine CPU Clock Ratio: +0 5
CPU Frequency: 2.66Ghz (266*10)

Clock Chip Control

Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): 266MHz
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz): 100MHz
C I A 2: Disabled

Advanced Clock Control

CPU Clock Drive: 800ps
PCI Express Clock Drive: 900ps
CPU Clock Skew (ps): 100ps
MCH Clock Skew (ps: 200ps

DRAM Performance Control

Performance Enhance: STANDARD
Extreme Memory Profile (X M P ): Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch: 333MHz
System Memory Multiplier: 3X
Memory Frequency (Mhz): 798Mhz
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time: 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 15

Advanced Timing Control
tRRD: 4
tWTR: 4
tWR: 6
tRFC: 60
tRTP: 4
Command Rate (CMD): 2

Channel A
Static tRead value: 10
tRD Phase0 Adjustment: Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment: Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment: Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment: Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank): Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank): Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank): Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank): Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control: Auto
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control: Auto

Channel B
Static tRead value: 10
tRD Phase0 Adjustment: Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment: Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment: Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment: Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank): Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank): Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank): Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank): Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control: Auto
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control: Auto

Motherboard voltage Control
voltage Type: Manual

CPU

CPU vcore: Auto
CPU Termination: 1.25v
CPU PLL: 1.500v
CPU Reference: Auto
CPU Reference2: Auto

MCH/ICH

MCH Core: 1.300v
MCH Reference: Auto
MCH/DRAM Ref: Auto
ICH I/O: 1.6v
ICH Core: 1.2v

DRAM

DRAM voltage: 2.200v
DRAM Termination: Auto
Channel A Reference: Auto
Channel B Reference: Auto

Advanced Settings

Limit CPUID Max  to 3: Disabled
No-Execute Memory Protect: Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2): Disabled
CPU EIST Function: Disabled
virtualization Technology: Enabled

Shut down the System. Remove the stick of v2.3 and insert a stick of 1.2 in the first slot and in the third slot. Retest. Finally, set the other (version 2.3) modules in and restart. If you gain boot, run Memtest.

Results?

Thanks for the help, alas, still doesn't work. Did exactly what you said and it still refuses to POST with 1 stick of v1.2. I'm still a tad confused as to why 1 of my v1.2 sticks work (out of the 4 I have).

Oh well, to be honest I've had enough messing around. The P5K gave me crap for a bit over a year, I'm just going to go buy 2x2GB. Prices might be good over there in the States but we don't get a cool mail-in rebate over in Australia :P Not to mention our exchange rate sucks hah.

Thanks for the help, alas, still doesn't work. Did exactly what you said and it still refuses to POST with 1 stick of v1.2. I'm still a tad confused as to why 1 of my v1.2 sticks work (out of the 4 I have).

Oh well, to be honest I've had enough messing around. The P5K gave me crap for a bit over a year, I'm just going to go buy 2x2GB. Prices might be good over there in the States but we don't get a cool mail-in rebate over in Australia :P Not to mention our exchange rate sucks hah.

One of your sticks could be bad. Micron D9's were very touchy IC's. If your system posts with three sticks of V1.2 singly, and not the fourth, then it's quite likely that one is bad.

One of your sticks could be bad. Micron D9's were very touchy IC's. If your system posts with three sticks of V1.2 singly, and not the fourth, then it's quite likely that one is bad.

Nah, it's the other way around. ONE stick of the v1.2 POSTs, the other 3 do not. I've tested them all on a different motherboard and Memtested them for about 24 hours. No errors :/ I have a feeling it's just a BIOS compatibility issue? Seeing as BIOS update magically made one of the v1.2s work *shrug*

But no worries. I went out today, bought some 2x2GBs (of a different brand unfortunetly, the local store didn't sell high end Corsair, wtf right?). I'm now running those 2x2GBs with the 2x1GBs (v2.3) for a total of 6GB of RAM (DDR800, 5-5-5-18). CPU is at 3GHz / 333 FSB. So far stable, for once. Happy with that IMO.

But no worries. I went out today, bought some 2x2GBs (of a different brand unfortunetly, the local store didn't sell high end Corsair, wtf right?). I'm now running those 2x2GBs with the 2x1GBs (v2.3) for a total of 6GB of RAM (DDR800, 5-5-5-18). CPU is at 3GHz / 333 FSB. So far stable, for once. Happy with that IMO.

Hey, as long as you have a system running with stability. That's what matters most.

:)

Archived