Corsair Community

HX-1000 & "clicking noise"

Psychor

Hi,

The other day while working down by my PC I noticed something odd. The HX-1000 was making what I can best describe as a clicking-type noise similar to the sound a playing card stuck bicycle spoke makes. The noise isn't loud but I can hear it. For most people you'd probably have to put your ear to the PSU. ;) Regardless, I've never noticed a noise like this from any other PSU - Corsair or other.

To make sure it was in fact the PSU making the noise and not something else in the case I took the PSU out of the case and ran it. I also thought it might have something to do with my APC, even though it generates true sine wave on battery, so I connected the HX-1000 directly to the wall. The noise was still there.

Then when I powered down my PC I noticed the sound was no longer constant and was in fact dying down. So I think it might actually be the PSU fan even though I've never heard a fan make a noise like this before. I checked to make sure the PSU fan was not somehow obstructed - it isn't.

Does this sound normal for this unit or should I look into sending it into Corsair for a replacement? The unit is only a few months old.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
The noise would not indicate a serious problem with the PSU, however if the noise is loud enough to be bothersome, then lets get the unit replaced. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived