Corsair Community

Motherboard voltage,something I just noticed.

cockroachjosh

I've been poking around now that I have more time to do so and noticed in my bios it only gives me the option to set the memory voltage to 1.9v I believe, where as my memory is supposed to be 2.1v. Also noticed the timings off a bit too like I've seen several other people mention, where it should be 4-4-4-12 and it's turning out more around 5-5-5-18. Can that cause a decrease in performance or should I not worry too much about it? Still fairly new to ocing but after noticing some lack of performance I started digging around non-stop for a couple weeks and learned quite a bit. Thanks.

To run the memory at 4-4-4-12 you need ~2.1v. 1.9v is needed for 5-5-5-18. Your low end motherboard does not allow for higher end settings of the DRAM and as such it is doubtful you will find stability at 1.9v and 4-4-4-12. I advise you to just leave it alone as it is stable and after playing with the BIOS, you may lose stability.

I would not even overclock a motherboard such as that. It was not created for overclocking and I doubt if it has the required PCI-e and PCI locks. You could easily burn out the onboard video or PCI bus if you play with overclocking on that board.

Ok, thanks a lot for the info, will save me a lot of time digging my fingers into my skull. But while I'm thinking of it, are you able to suggest any mbs off the top of your head that would pair ok with my current setup should I be able to grab one in the near future? Well, I guess a better way to say it would be do you think I'd do better off just with a better quality asus board, or would another brand maybe work out better? Thanks again for everything.

Ok, thanks a lot for the info, will save me a lot of time digging my fingers into my skull. But while I'm thinking of it, are you able to suggest any mbs off the top of your head that would pair ok with my current setup should I be able to grab one in the near future? Well, I guess a better way to say it would be do you think I'd do better off just with a better quality asus board, or would another brand maybe work out better? Thanks again for everything.

You have an AMD processor with the memory controller on the CPU die. The DRAM speed is not going to hold back that 2000Mhz (1000 * 2) HT speed, so you are not bandwidth saturated anyway. I would keep the system, not spend any money on it and when you migrate to a new system, then you can purchase higher end components. Purchasing a higher end motherboard would not gain you all that much and you would just lose money.

Post back here when you are looking to migrate to a new system and we can advise you on a low cost, highly overclockable (and fully stable) system.

Archived