Corsair Community

Is my VX550W causing my computer to fail?

ericc191

Today my computer began to die on me over and over. I was in the process of installing a fresh copy of Vista x64 when the computer just turned off and then tried to turn back on. It did this about 8 times before finally making it through an installation. I Googled "computer keeps restarting" and read that it could be any number of things causing it. Hardware, viruses, drivers. I ruled out both viruses and drivers since it is a fresh install. I tried removing my 9800GTX+ and it seemed to run fine so at first I decided it was the card but then I realized if the PSU wasn't giving the card enough juice, that might cause random failures also. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

I ran memtest and it came back with 0 errors. I also switched out my memory with some stuff I used to use and the power failures continued. I tried installing XP cause my buddy kept telling me it was Vista drivers most likely. Well the power failures continued lol. Lastly, I swapped out my power supply with my gfs since she doesn't use her comp anymore and there hasn't been a single failure since which leads me to believe it was the power supply.

I filled out an RMA request and my RMA number is 762824.

Should I get an RMA number too? My computer was acting very strange and finally some of the hard drives got wiped out, like, the BIOS couldn't see them anymore.

Luckily they only contained image backups so there was no real data loss but the drives are dead (2 Maxtors).

Could the PSU be causing this? This happened on two different mobos.

Thanks. I don't trust the PSU anymore and it is just laying around.

• Corsair Employees
Just wanted to say thanks Corsair! You guys made my first RMA quick and painless. The new power supply is here and I am about to install it! You have a customer for life. Thanks again.

Glad to hear everything worked out, let us know if you have any more problems!

• Corsair Employees
Should I get an RMA number too? My computer was acting very strange and finally some of the hard drives got wiped out, like, the BIOS couldn't see them anymore.

Luckily they only contained image backups so there was no real data loss but the drives are dead (2 Maxtors).

Could the PSU be causing this? This happened on two different mobos.

Thanks. I don't trust the PSU anymore and it is just laying around.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived