Corsair Community

Ram Timings Messed up. Help.

leenix

Hi

up to now i used to run my system on this Ram

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400C4.pdf

This is the 2 x 1GB 5.5.5.12 Timing Set

And i recently wanted to upgrade my system to 4Gb.

So i went and ordered another similar Set.

When i tried to install the Ram i got various Problems when entering windows, such as Reboots / Shutdowns / Hibernations and games wouldnt play.

I took a Closer look at the Ram and realised that this new Ram i got was actually a

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/CM2X1024-6400.pdf

This is the 1 x 1GB 5.5.5.18 Version

Which from what i understand comes in a Single Pack right? As in you buy only 1 Module.

These guys sold me a Pack which had 2 of these rams in a packet of the 5.5.5.12 Version.

So now i wanna run my system with

2 x1GB 5.5.5.12 Rams and 2 x1GB 5.5.5.18 Rams

I tried going into the Bios and Seting the Timings to 5.5.5.18 To all Rams but it didnt work.

Any suggestions on what to do? I am planning to return the ram but if i can fix this without doing so it would be more beneficial

So Help :P

Hi,

First of all the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 are modules designed to run at 4-4-4-12

In other words, these are better specified then the 2 new CM2X1024-6400, you recently have bought, those are indeed designed to run at 5-5-5-18 timings.

(p.s if you bought a package with 2 modules then you bought the TWIN2X2048-6400 kit, made of 2 matched CM2X1024-6400 modules ;):)

When you want to run your system with more then 2 modules, a dram speed of 667 is suggested. Aother thing is that you have to use less tight timings. Meaning 5-5-5-18 instead of 4-4-4-12!

The most ideal solution would be to replace them all for a 2 x 2GB kit, to maintain higer dram speed and less stress on your memory controller, as you can research here: http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

If you dont mind to run the modules at lower specifications, then set your dram speed to DDR667, dram voltage to 2.1 volt

and increase your northbridge voltage with +/- 1.5 volt.

you can use memtest to assure dram stability. (make sure you disable USB legacy while testing with memtest)

If you dont mind to run the modules at lower specifications, then set your dram speed to DDR667, dram voltage to 2.1 volt

and increase your northbridge voltage with +/- 1.5 volt.

Is it ok to take the Ram to 2.1V? Can they tolerate that much?

What should i do about the Ram Timings? How to set them exactly?

Ok i've updated my System Specs.

But can you tell me to what timings i should try puting the memory on? :P

Let it on Auto or change it? And if so to what should i put my timings to?

Nvm just clicked o nthe link you gave me :P

My Computer Boots into Windows and works.

But applications with Sound have their sound distorted with a lot of static.

If i try to Open a Game the whole screen gets filled with Artifacts and i need to restart.

I've tried the LOWEST Settings available in my System even 6.6.6.20 whatever it was 2T.

I tried With Both Modules, Single Module 1, Single Module 2 but nothing. It's Simply the Timings Not matching.

Tried at 800Mhz 667 Mhz and even 533 Mhz And Nothing.

I've increased the NB Voltage but that's not it.

My PC crashed when i open a Video game and if i dont play a game it will simply go into Standby for some reason...

I'm planning on Shoving the rams up the Salesmans *** because i found out that they say on their site that TWIN2X2048-6400C4 is the same as the 5.5.5.18 one.

If it cant be helped by any way at all. I'm just gonna have to return them.

Had a big fight with the Shop where i bought the Ram from.

They wont let me return the ram and they even blacklisted me and refuse to sell me anything else.

Now i'm stuck with 2 RamSticks i cant use.

I've tried all the methods you told to me above. But nothing, the ram simply wotn work correctly no matter how i set the timings or voltage.

If you can think of any way at all that i might be able to use it please tell me.

I'm planning on Shoving the rams up the Salesmans *** because i found out that they say on their site that TWIN2X2048-6400C4 is the same as the 5.5.5.18 one.
That's false advertising on their part. I'd report them to the local Better Business Bureau (or the equivalent where you are).

Have you tested the new memory by itself?

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from-->

Insert a single DRAM stick and enter BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults and enter these settings.

Advanced Settings

CPU Configuration

AM2 Boost = Disabled
Overclock Mode = Manual
CPU Frequency = 200
PCI-e Frequency = 100
Boot Failure Guard = Enabled
Cool 'n' Quiet = Auto

Processor Maximum Multiplier = 14.5
Processor Maximum Voltage = Auto
Multiplier/Voltage Change = Auto

Chipset Configuration

Memory Clock = 667Mhz
Flexibility Option = Enabled
CAS Latency = 5
TRCD = 5
TRP = 5
TRTP = Auto
TRAS = 15 
TRRD = Auto
TRC = 26
TWR = Auto
TWTR = Auto
TRWTTO = Auto
TWRRD = Auto
TWRWR = Auto
TRDRD =  Auto
MA Timing = 2T
Bank Interleaving = Enabled

Chipset Settings

Dram Voltage = 2.05
NB Core Voltage = High
NB +1.8v = Auto

Shut the system down and insert the second stick in Dual Channel Mode and restart to the Memtest CD. Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

• Corsair Employees

Even if you had all four modules that are the same part but they are not a quad this would still apply, and did you test the modules one at a time to make sure one was not failing?

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ok i just did it, tested every single slot with the new rams.

It seems the ram timings arent a problem after all.

Whenever i put a 4'th Ram Stick on my Motherboard everything is extremely unstable.

Both sticks work fine. I can only run 3Gb with 3 x 1Gb sticks atm.

I've got the timings to 4.4.4-12 Stable atm.

But if i put a '4th stick on no matter what timings i set or whatever speed my system crashes.

Bump

:S Anyone?

Hmmmm... You tried flashing you bios to the latest available for your motherboard ? That might help with the compatibility issues.

I wonder how you did you testing. (Some of the errors I saw only occurred at 90%+ on Memtest86+ btw and they were supposedly x3 matched ram.)

The problem with my ram was the timings, command rate and voltage had to be manually set.

I've tried all rams on different slots. All the rams and Slots Seem to be fine.

I've tried lowering the Timings to the lowest possible stuff for compatibility. But nothing.

Last night when i attempted to put the 4'th stick on, my pc wouldnt boot at all.

But most of the times it can go into windows but screw up when i try to start up a game.

I tried a Voltage of 2.05 Volts which is around 2.1-ish with overvolting from my mobo.

All i got left is Flashing the bios with a newer one. Although i did that a few months ago. Gonna try it tonight when i get home and hope it works.

Archived