Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX Big Problems

xms3500

I received a set of CM2X2048-6400C4DHX as a present form my father in law only to find out they will not work in three different Motherboards.

This is what I have tried so far:

On my Rampage Formula MB:

I turn the computer on and it just sits there running with a black screen, it will not even post at all.

I have even tried setting a very high tRFC of 52 to 72 with ram that work in the Rampage Formula (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF), and that didn't help at all.

I then tried it in another MB P5Q and it did the same thing as my Rampage Formula did, just sat there running with a black screen.

I tried to set the vdimm to 2.2v as well with working ram and still no go.

The last MB I tried was a Gigabyte X48-DS4, and all it would do was keep resetting like it was overclocked, which it wasn't everything was at stock.

After reading what another member suggested to try by dropping out the CMOS battery and doing a hard reset of the system, and that still didn't help at all.

The 3 Motherboards that I tried the CM2X2048-6400C4DHX all run fine with the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, but will refuse to run with the CM2X2048-6400C4DHX.

Has anyone got any other ideas that I could try before I RMA them.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Insert a single stick of the 6400C4 in the first slot (Closest to the CPU). Restart and enter the BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults and enter these values:

Extreme Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual
Ratio CMOS Setting : 9
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333
FSB Frequency : 333
PCI-E Frequency: 100

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800
DRAM Command Rate : 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency : 4
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 4
RAS# Precharge : 4
RAS# ActivateTime : 12
RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto
Write Recovery Time : Auto
Read to Precharge Time : Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto

Write to PRE Delay: Auto
Read to PRE Delay: Auto
PRE to PRE Delay: Auto
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: Auto
ALL PRE to REF Delay: Auto

DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Ai Clock Twister : Auto
Transaction Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage : Auto
CPU PLL Voltage : Auto
North Bridge Voltage : Auto
DRAM Voltage : 2.1v
FSB Termination Voltage : Auto
South Bridge Voltage : Auto
Loadline Calibration : Auto
CPU GTL Reference : Auto
North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto

DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : Auto
SB 1.5V Voltage : Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut the system down and remove the stick. Insert the second stick in place and retest.

Results?

First off thanks for the reply OldGeezer and DerekT.

Try one stick at a time. You don't have to install both sticks to get a POST. I suspect you have a bad stick.

I should have mentioned in my original post, I have tried one stick at a time, after the computer wouldn't boot with both sticks, it doesn't matter which stick or which dimm slot I put it into the computer won't boot at all, just sits there running with a black screen on the Rampage Formula and the P5Q, the Gigabyte it just keeps rebooting in a loop.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Insert a single stick of the 6400C4 in the first slot (Closest to the CPU). Restart and enter the BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults and enter these values:

Extreme Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual
Ratio CMOS Setting : 9
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333
FSB Frequency : 333
PCI-E Frequency: 100

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800
DRAM Command Rate : 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency : 4
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 4
RAS# Precharge : 4
RAS# ActivateTime : 12
RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto
Write Recovery Time : Auto
Read to Precharge Time : Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto

Write to PRE Delay: Auto
Read to PRE Delay: Auto
PRE to PRE Delay: Auto
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: Auto
ALL PRE to REF Delay: Auto

DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Ai Clock Twister : Auto
Transaction Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage : Auto
CPU PLL Voltage : Auto
North Bridge Voltage : Auto
DRAM Voltage : 2.1v
FSB Termination Voltage : Auto
South Bridge Voltage : Auto
Loadline Calibration : Auto
CPU GTL Reference : Auto
North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto

DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : Auto
SB 1.5V Voltage : Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut the system down and remove the stick. Insert the second stick in place and retest.

Results?

I can't run Memtest because, I can't even get into the BIOS, with either stick in any slot at all, it just sits there running with a black screen, I can put my 8500 ram straight back in and boot up fine.

It will not post at all with the 6400 ram, and it at least needs to post to be able to boot from the CD rom to run memtest.

I would have run memtest if I could get the computer to boot as I have run memtest on my 8500 ram and it passed with flying colours.

Any other ideas or should I just RMA the ram??

What BIOS version are you using?

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues that can result when changing hardware components.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord
  10. Restart the system
  11. Enter the BIOS
  12. Load Default Settings
  13. Save Default Settings and Exit, shutting down the system

Insert a single stick of DRAM in Slot 1 and restart. Does this clear the issue?

I have the same motherboard and ram modules. both running very well here.

my settings are 4-4-4-8 at 800MHz at 1.8V

i know asus had problems with old versions of the motherboard. the revision is the same but there are differences!!

Check the silver heatsink between the rear connectors: is the asus sign to long/short or does it fit perfectly on the heatsink? are there fins on the right side of the heatsink or not?

if the asus sign is to short/long and if there are fins on the right, you have the old version. get a RMA and replace it.

First i had the old version, after many errors with the bios the board crashed itself. i got it replaced and the new version (sign fits perfectly and no fins on the right) works perfectly!

if you can replace your board at your local dealer, check the new board. open the box and take a look through the windows - there you can check if the replacement is the new or old version.

I forgot to mention that one module is inserted into RAM_A1 and the other into RAM_B1 (both with same color).

What BIOS version are you using?

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues that can result when changing hardware components.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord
  10. Restart the system
  11. Enter the BIOS
  12. Load Default Settings
  13. Save Default Settings and Exit, shutting down the system

Insert a single stick of DRAM in Slot 1 and restart. Does this clear the issue?

I had already tried that m8 and that didn't help at all still does the same thing, and the BIOS that I tried were the most recent 0601 and then I went back to 0410 to see if that would fix the problem but it didn't.

I really thought the sticks would have worked in the P5Q as the board has been running happily with G**L ram at the same ratings as the 6400 corsair ram.

I have the same motherboard and ram modules. both running very well here.

my settings are 4-4-4-8 at 800MHz at 1.8V

i know asus had problems with old versions of the motherboard. the revision is the same but there are differences!!

Check the silver heatsink between the rear connectors: is the asus sign to long/short or does it fit perfectly on the heatsink? are there fins on the right side of the heatsink or not?

if the asus sign is to short/long and if there are fins on the right, you have the old version. get a RMA and replace it.

First i had the old version, after many errors with the bios the board crashed itself. i got it replaced and the new version (sign fits perfectly and no fins on the right) works perfectly!

if you can replace your board at your local dealer, check the new board. open the box and take a look through the windows - there you can check if the replacement is the new or old version.

I forgot to mention that one module is inserted into RAM_A1 and the other into RAM_B1 (both with same color).

I can asure you that the board isn't the problem as it runs fine with my 8500 corsair ram, even at 5-5-5-15 with my E8600@ 4.4Ghz 8x550MHz, and its stable at that speed as well, just need to see how much further I can push it.;):

My sticks are in RAM_A2 and RAM_B2 so that I can use the Dominator fan with the True 120 Heatsink.:):

Here's the thing. Dual channel mode is a function of the on motherboard (Intel prior to i7) and on CPU (AMD and i7) memory controller, not the DRAM. If both sticks pass singly but not in tandem, then the issue is external to the DRAM. But since you can run other DRAM in the board, it is a conundrum.

I am certain Corsair will give you an RMA for the DRAM. Just don't expect the RMA to clear up the issue.

Here's the thing. Dual channel mode is a function of the on motherboard (Intel prior to i7) and on CPU (AMD and i7) memory controller, not the DRAM. If both sticks pass singly but not in tandem, then the issue is external to the DRAM. But since you can run other DRAM in the board, it is a conundrum.

I am certain Corsair will give you an RMA for the DRAM. Just don't expect the RMA to clear up the issue.

But on 3 different Motherboards, you would expect the ram to a least work on one Motherboard if it wasn't faulty, wouldn't you?

And I can't even get one of the 6400 sticks to work either, doesn't matter which stick I used in which Motherboard, I got one of two results, either the computer sat there running with a black screen (two ASUS boards) or it would continuously reboot when in the Gigabyte board I couldn't even get into the BIOS on any of the boards.:(:

So you don't think that getting the ram RMA will fix the problem?

If the ram is faulty, then hopefully getting good ram it should work in the Motherboards.

So you don't think that getting the ram RMA will fix the problem?

You could be a very unlucky person and have two bad sticks. This is very unusual unless the modules have been damaged together due to high voltages, etc. I have been building systems since 1982 and have yet to find two modules damaged unless there has been external (voltage/electrical charges or physical) damage.

At any rate, I would go with an RMA. You may be one of the very unlucky ones.

Archived