Corsair Community

Newbie Q: Can I mix 5400 and 6000 SDRAM

brianblank

I am sure this is a very basic question, but I couldn't find any info that explicitly said if it was OK or not.

My current WHS machine has "CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)" installed. I am looking to upgrade or max out the memory. I can buy another set of the same memory to give me a total of 2GB or for a few $ more I can get a set of "CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)" for a total of 3 GB.

My mother board, ASUS P5AD2 Premium, has 4 slots and can take up to 4GB at 533MHz. Will there be issues mixing RAM speeds? running RAM that is faster than the MoBo can handle?

Thanks for you help,

Brian

It's never advised nor is it supported to mix and match DRAM modules of different version and/or models.

You can try and see if you can get them to play nice together. Since you have yet to buy any, I personally would not even try it.

Very likely you will have to drop the DRAM speed to 533Mhz and raise the voltage to the Memory Controller +.2v to effect long term stability. But that is if they even work together at all.

By not supported, I mean that should you buy the DRAM and it doesn't work in that system (as that system doesn't support 800Mhz DRAM or mixed and matched DRAM) you will not be able to RMA the DRAM. You might be able to send it back to the reseller for a restock fee.

It's never advised nor is it supported to mix and match DRAM modules of different version and/or models.

You can try and see if you can get them to play nice together. Since you have yet to buy any, I personally would not even try it.

Very likely you will have to drop the DRAM speed to 533Mhz and raise the voltage to the Memory Controller +.2v to effect long term stability. But that is if they even work together at all.

By not supported, I mean that should you buy the DRAM and it doesn't work in that system (as that system doesn't support 800Mhz DRAM or mixed and matched DRAM) you will not be able to RMA the DRAM. You might be able to send it back to the reseller for a restock fee.

Thanks, that clears things up.

Now the debate is, do I get another 2 x 512MB set to bump my system up to 2GB total or do I get 2 - 2 x 1GB sets to bump it up to 4GB. Decisions decisions.

Thanks again DerekT for helping a newbie.

Brian

Now the debate is, do I get another 2 x 512MB set to bump my system up to 2GB total or do I get 2 - 2 x 1GB sets to bump it up to 4GB.

Running Windows XP 32bit. I would go with 2 X 512MB. If you intend on transitioning to a 64bit OS, then I would go with 4GB. You will not see the full 4GB in a 32bit OS so you would be throwing a GB away as far as addressing memory goes.

Archived