Corsair Community

Awful 8GB Voyager performance

MrBojangels

Please try to format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager)

Please try the HD-Bench software to test the performance with 100 MB File size.

for the 8 GIG FV the write should be about 7.4 MBps and read should be about 28 MBps.

If you still have problems we can get it or them replaced, please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I'm not asking about large file data transfer.

• Corsair Employee
That is not what this is about. The question is about the drives performance and until we know how your drive is actually performing we do not know if the drive is possibly failing or there is some other issue.

I don't mean to get in the way here, but I'm an EE and in my experience the transfer of a large number of small files is an area of weakness in all SLC and MLC flash devices regardless of size. However, I have noticed a marked difference between smaller drives (512MB-4GB) from about 1-2 years ago and today's larger drives (8GB+). A lot of the changes in write speeds especially have to do with the actual chip makers and their fab processes, in this case I believe Samsung is Corsair's sub-contractor for these chips, and there is a distinct trade-off between speed and density. In order to achieve the greater density in the same package size (and price point), a move was made to the slower MLC chips at Samsung.

(sorry if I am out of place in making these comments)

• Corsair Employee
Not at all and you are exactly correct but there is more to that then just the cost. The Cost to make an 8 Gig SLC based drive right now is about 3-4 times what we can build it with MLC and the SLC controllers are hard to get. Not to mention using SLC technology comes with legal baggage adding to the cost.

Archived