Corsair Community

Awful 8GB Voyager performance

MrBojangels

http://i33.tinypic.com/2ykywl0.jpg

When trying to copy a large file to the drive Vista reports only 5.4MBps, this is horrible I purchased this drive based on reviews reporting 30MBps read speeds and 15MBps write speeds, after reading this forum I have seen Corsair have cheaped out on memory controllers and will only RMA drives getting less than 7MBps write speeds? My 2 year old ******** drive I paid the same amount of money for as this Corsair drive outperforms those speeds.

A flash drive this slow is completely useless to me and is nothing but wasted money. Attempting the Format (G:) /FS:FAT32 /U command in CMD results in invalid drive specification.

• Corsair Employees
A flash drive this slow is completely useless to me and is nothing but wasted money. Attempting the Format (G:) /FS:FAT32 /U command in CMD results in invalid drive specification.

The correct syntax is: Format G: /FS:FAT32 /U

Please try to format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager) then try the HDBENCH v3.40 Beta 6 to test the performance. And please do a full format of the drive before you run the test and set it to 100 MB file size.

The Transfer speeds should write at about 7.8 MBps and Read at about 29.9 MBps.

RAM GUY states, "The Transfer speeds should write at about 7.8 MBps and Read at about 29.9 MBps."

To which I reply, EXCUSE ME??? Is this NOT a Corsair 8GB Voyager that MrBojangels is complaining about???

Since WHEN does the 8GB Voyager perform at average WRITE speeds of 7.8 MB/S and average READ speeds of 29.9 MB/S???

Surly, RAM GUY's reply to MrBojangels is 100% INCONSISTENT with RAM GUY's response to my inquiry, just over 6 months ago, on 27 MAY 08, regarding 8GB and 16BG Flash Voyager USB drives, as follows . . .

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:44 PM

Subject: Re: CMFUSB2.0

Thank you for supporting our products. I am sorry you cannot find that information on our website, the write and read speeds might vary from system to system. Here are the specs for the 2 flash drives and yes they have different performance specs.

16GB NON-GT average sequential write speed is 7.8 MB/S and average read speed is 29.9 MB/S

8GB NON-GT average sequential write speed is 3.3 MB/S and average read speed is 9.1 MB/S

We test the flash drives with HDBench v3.4 with 100MB file.

Best regards,

Ram Guy

RamGuy@corsairmmemory.com

Corsair Memory Technical Support

Corsair Memory Inc.

Corsair Corporate Headquarters

46221 Landing Parkway.

Fremont, CA. 94538

(510) 657-8747

(510) 657-8748 Fax

800-205-7657 Toll Free

http://www.corsairmemory.com

http://www.asktheramguy.com

Regarding the OBVIOUS INCONSISTENCY, less than a week ago, RAM GUY replies . . .

Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:09 PM

Subject: RE: good sport - - FAT32 /U test results : BRAND NEW 16GB Flash Voyager 21.0% SLOWER than your specs

Dear Valued Customer,

We are sorry but the test results you have provided in the email are well within the spec. for our 16GB drive. Generally, the larger the drive is, the slower the drive is. The 16GB uses high density chips and the result will be slower write speed compare to lower density chips used on the 8GB drive.

Please let us know if you have any other question.

Best regards,

RAM GUY

Corsair Memory, Inc.

46221 Landing Parkway

Fremont, CA 94538

510-657-8747

ramguy@corsairmemory.com

Of course, there is my NEW favorite RAM GUY reply in this forum, posted 24 hours after sending me the above email . . .

And doing a RMA for the record will likely not improve the performance much the controllers have changed and we had no choice and the current speed will be a bit less than before. However, we have never published a Spec or speed rating for our flash drives so I am not quite sure what would be gained.

MrBojangels, as a fellow Corsair 8GB Voyager owner, while I have COMPLETE DISDAIN for RAM GUY's email reply dated Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:09 PM CDT, and given RAM GUY's posted statement at 11-26-2008 05:23 PM (CST), as a fellow USB drive consumer, until Corsair returns to producing HIGH QUALITY drives (where LARGER CAPACITY drives ARE faster than their LOWER CAPACITY drives) because THEY CHOOSE to improve the performance of their controllers, my second 16GB Flash Voyager (and second Corsair USB drive - my first being an 8GB Flash Voyager) will be the LAST Corsair product that I purchase.

I cannot continue doing business with a company appears to misrepresent their specs, retracts their statements (in the public domain or specified in email correspondence), or whom placates customers with generalalities and obfuscations like "...RMA for the record will likely not improve the performance much the controllers have changed and we had no choice and the current speed will be a bit less than before. However, we have never published a Spec or speed rating for our flash drives so I am not quite sure what would be gained."

RAM GUY states, "...not quite sure what would be gained?" To which I reply, how about CUSTOMER LOYALTY???

What are the TRUE read and write speeds for the Corsair 8GB Voyager, and or 8GB Flash Voyager, and or 8GB Flash Voyager (non-GT version)?

Good luck with your case, MrBojangels. Oh, before I forget, regarding WHATEVER speeds RAM GUY confirms for your 8GB Voyager, it is IMPERATIVE that you included the /U format switch (superfluous, IMO, specifically for Windows XP SP2 users) and select the "Optimize for performance" setting found in Device Manager / Disk drives / Corsair Flash Voyager USB Device Properties / Policies. The "Optimize for performance" setting is ESSENTIAL when testing with HDBENCH 3.40 and evaluating the results in a true "Apples-to-Apples" environment. Anything less will surely prolong your aggravation and may exaggerate RAM GUY's obvious inconsistency.

Regards,

T4USD

RAM GUY states, "The Transfer speeds should write at about 7.8 MBps and Read at about 29.9 MBps."

To which I reply, EXCUSE ME??? Is this NOT a Corsair 8GB Voyager that MrBojangels is complaining about???

Since WHEN does the 8GB Voyager perform at average WRITE speeds of 7.8 MB/S and average READ speeds of 29.9 MB/S???

Surly, RAM GUY's reply to MrBojangels is 100% INCONSISTENT with RAM GUY's response to my inquiry, just over 6 months ago, on 27 MAY 08, regarding 8GB and 16BG Flash Voyager USB drives, as follows . . .

Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:44 PM

Subject: Re: CMFUSB2.0

Thank you for supporting our products. I am sorry you cannot find that information on our website, the write and read speeds might vary from system to system. Here are the specs for the 2 flash drives and yes they have different performance specs.

16GB NON-GT average sequential write speed is 7.8 MB/S and average read speed is 29.9 MB/S

8GB NON-GT average sequential write speed is 3.3 MB/S and average read speed is 9.1 MB/S

We test the flash drives with HDBench v3.4 with 100MB file.

Best regards,

Ram Guy

RamGuy@corsairmmemory.com

Corsair Memory Technical Support

Corsair Memory Inc.

Corsair Corporate Headquarters

46221 Landing Parkway.

Fremont, CA. 94538

(510) 657-8747

(510) 657-8748 Fax

800-205-7657 Toll Free

http://www.corsairmemory.com

http://www.asktheramguy.com

Regarding the OBVIOUS INCONSISTENCY, less than a week ago, RAM GUY replies . . .

Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:09 PM

Subject: RE: good sport - - FAT32 /U test results : BRAND NEW 16GB Flash Voyager 21.0% SLOWER than your specs

Dear Valued Customer,

We are sorry but the test results you have provided in the email are well within the spec. for our 16GB drive. Generally, the larger the drive is, the slower the drive is. The 16GB uses high density chips and the result will be slower write speed compare to lower density chips used on the 8GB drive.

Please let us know if you have any other question.

Best regards,

RAM GUY

Corsair Memory, Inc.

46221 Landing Parkway

Fremont, CA 94538

510-657-8747

ramguy@corsairmemory.com

Of course, there is my NEW favorite RAM GUY reply in this forum, posted 24 hours after sending me the above email . . .

And doing a RMA for the record will likely not improve the performance much the controllers have changed and we had no choice and the current speed will be a bit less than before. However, we have never published a Spec or speed rating for our flash drives so I am not quite sure what would be gained.

MrBojangels, as a fellow Corsair 8GB Voyager owner, while I have COMPLETE DISDAIN for RAM GUY's email reply dated Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:09 PM CDT, and given RAM GUY's posted statement at 11-26-2008 05:23 PM (CST), as a fellow USB drive consumer, until Corsair returns to producing HIGH QUALITY drives (where LARGER CAPACITY drives ARE faster than their LOWER CAPACITY drives) because THEY CHOOSE to improve the performance of their controllers, my second 16GB Flash Voyager (and second Corsair USB drive - my first being an 8GB Flash Voyager) will be the LAST Corsair product that I purchase.

I cannot continue doing business with a company appears to misrepresent their specs, retracts their statements (in the public domain or specified in email correspondence), or whom placates customers with generalalities and obfuscations like "...RMA for the record will likely not improve the performance much the controllers have changed and we had no choice and the current speed will be a bit less than before. However, we have never published a Spec or speed rating for our flash drives so I am not quite sure what would be gained."

RAM GUY states, "...not quite sure what would be gained?" To which I reply, how about CUSTOMER LOYALTY???

What are the TRUE read and write speeds for the Corsair 8GB Voyager, and or 8GB Flash Voyager, and or 8GB Flash Voyager (non-GT version)?

Good luck with your case, MrBojangels. Oh, before I forget, regarding WHATEVER speeds RAM GUY confirms for your 8GB Voyager, it is IMPERATIVE that you included the /U format switch (superfluous, IMO, specifically for Windows XP SP2 users) and select the "Optimize for performance" setting found in Device Manager / Disk drives / Corsair Flash Voyager USB Device Properties / Policies. The "Optimize for performance" setting is ESSENTIAL when testing with HDBENCH 3.40 and evaluating the results in a true "Apples-to-Apples" environment. Anything less will surely prolong your aggravation and may exaggerate RAM GUY's obvious inconsistency.

Regards,

T4USD

I have read your thread and others and found out about what is happening, its too bad newegg seems to refuse to put my review up of this product.

This is just as dirty as Dell or Samsung releasing a new LCD monitor with high quality IPS panels for reviews, then switching to majority crappy PVA monitors when they're selling well because everyone thinks they're receiving a great product and continues to buy monitors with horrible performance.

In regards to the Format G: /FS:FAT32 /U command, my write speed is still absolute **** at 6MBps on large files, forget copying small files my transfer rate crawls at 100KBps, I paid for a drive that writes at 15MBps and I didn't get it, why is it that a memory based company produces higher quality power supplies than memory devices?

Whats worse is that as far as I can tell majority of the drives being sold won't even meet their rated 7.8MBps but since the average consumer won't notice Corsair is mostly getting away with selling slower drives than spec.

> I have read your thread and others and found out about what is happening, its too bad newegg seems to refuse to put my review up of this product.

Yes, it is. Perhaps an old fashioned "snail mail" letter address to Newegg Inc, the parent company of Newegg.com, recently appointed, Chairman and CEO, Tally Liu, is in order.

> This is just as dirty as Dell or Samsung releasing a new LCD monitor with high quality IPS panels for reviews, then switching to majority crappy PVA monitors when they're selling well because everyone thinks they're receiving a great product and continues to buy monitors with horrible performance.

I agree, and I was not aware of that. Corsair appears to be another manufacturer employing the old BAIT 'n SWITCH scam.

> In regards to the Format G: /FS:FAT32 /U command, my write speed is still absolute **** at 6MBps on large files,

**** you mean, as in Shh . . . hhh . . . it? Just trying to inject MINOR HUMOR here.

> forget copying small files my transfer rate crawls at 100KBps,

I will have to try this with my 8GB drive. Course, its now formatted to FAT32 with data and programs and I won't be clearing it to run the test, but it WILL reflect REAL WORLD results. I'll get back to you with those results later today.

UPDATED

Well, I just transferred a 280KB file and 870KB file (separately) and both transferred in a flash (no pun intended here), or less than a second. Perhaps these files sizes are NOT characteristic of the "small files" to which you are referring. Let me try a larger (small size) file, at 1,273 KB. Nope, same flash speed, less than a second. How SMALL is "small size" for you?

ANOTHER UPDATE

Just transferred a 216,068 KB = 211 MB file in 31s = 7.03 MB/s. This is MUCH faster than RAM GUY's 3.3 figure, but, as I said above, my 8GB drive is loaded with data and programs and I did not clear it (with a fresh FAT32 /U format) to run the test, but it the 7.03 MB/s does reflect REAL WORLD results.

> I paid for a drive that writes at 15MBps and I didn't get it, why is it that a memory based company produces higher quality power supplies than memory devices?

Your initial post states, 8GB Voyager. It may seem stupid to ask, but is your Corsair a "Flash Voyager" and is it the GT version or non-GT version? I ask because, unless you read something different, I never found any info (online) that stated a 15MBps WRITE speed. Did you, and if so, where??

If I can determine how to upload it, for your review, I will add a screenshot of the HDBENCH 3.40 Beta 6 test, at 100MB, that I conducted on my 8GB Flash Voyager (non-GT version) USB drive.

On a related note, before purchasing my FIRST Corsair, an 8GB Flash Voyager (non-GT version), I read all the posts the Corsair Jack Flash forum and sent an email RAM GUY as follows . . .

To: info@corsairmemory.com

Cc: customerservice@corsairmemory.com

Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:21 PM

Subject: CMFUSB2.0

Hello,

Running on a PC with Windows XP Home Edition operating system (all SP3 updates), USB 2.0 ports, regarding the CMFUSB2.0-16GB (non-GT model), what are the READ and WRITE rates in MB/sec? And, where can this information be verified on the Corsair website?

Are these READ and WRITE rates the same for the CMFUSB2.0-8GB (non-GT model)? If not, please specify.

Thank you.

. . . to which you have already read his reply.

A month after purchasing my Corsair 8GB drive, I tested it with a REAL WORLD transfer in NTFS format. When I analyzed the results, with GREAT enthusiasm, I replied to RAM GUY as follows . . .

To: Ram Guy

Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2008 4:23 PM

Subject: CMFUSB2.0-8GB / Read & Write rates

Thought you and CORSAIR might appreciate the following results . . .

WRITE SPEED TESTS

- MULTIPLE FILES (audio files, wma, multiple directories and subdirectories)

Copied from NTFS, default block size, 4K

901 MB at 3m49s = 3.9 MB/sec

- SINGLE FILE (single file, dvr-ms)

Copied from NTFS, block size 64K

1478 MB at 2m57s = 8.3 MB/sec

Copied from NTFS, block size 64K

3071 MB = at 6m28s = 7.9 MB/sec

READ SPEED TESTS

====================

Copied to NTFS, default block size, 4K

1477 MB at 0m58s = 25.5 MB/sec

Copied to NTFS, default block size, 4K

3071 MB = at 2m0s = 25.6 MB/sec

Thus far, I am favorably impressed with the Read and Write rates associated with my new CORSAIR CMFUSB2.0-8GB purchase.

While my Write speed of 3.9 MB/s is quite close to your average of 3.3 MB/s (over 18% higher), my Read Speed of 25.5 is close to 200% higher than your average of 9.1 MB/s (over 180% higher).

I understand that your figures represent an average, however, given your averages, do you also have the range - i.e. high and low - figures?

As you can see, my WRITE test results were no where close to 15MBps. However, at 3.9 MB/s, the WRITE speed exceeded RAM GUY's 3.3 MB/S quote. In addition, at 25.5 MB/s, the READ speed VASTLY exceeded RAM GUY's 9.1 MB/s quote. As a result, as stated above, I was quite pleased - at that time.

It seems reasonable to conclude that my "initial" experience with Corsair and their 8GB Flash Voyager (non-GT version) USB drive may not have any impact on your disappointment, but it may help us BOTH flush out the LARGER SCAM that appears to have been perpetrated on USB consumers EVERYWHERE.

Looking forward to your reply,

T4USD

• Corsair Employees

Then your drive is with in spec and should be fine, trades4usd and please quit jumping others threads its not needed and or polite unless you have something constructive to add.

MrBojangels did you get the same results?

With the 8GB Flash Voyager, Corsair is claiming 33MB/s read speeds and 16MB/s write speeds. Well, how fast did we find the Corsair 8GB Flash Voyager to be? The average read speed was an impressive 31.63MB/s. The read speeds were tested using hdparm -t, which displays the speed without any prior caching of data and without any file-system overhead. For comparison the read speed for the ******** Technology

Mega-Kart 8GB was 21.71MB/s and the Corsair Flash Voyager 512MB had read at 19.21MB/s. Testing had occurred on a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 notebook with an Intel Core Duo T2400 on Fedora Core 6. When transferring files to the Corsair Flash Voyager 8GB we found the write time to be approximately 15MB/s.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=587&num=3

Please note this is a review for a non-GT drive, that's right when Corsair initially released the Voyager series they had a write speed of 15MBps.

In regards to your small file transfer question, when you're transferring a LARGE number of small files you will get no where near 7MBps, my drive will crawl at under 200KBps.

edit: The small file problem is worse than I thought, I went to transfer hundreds of small text files and here is the kind of speed the Voyager cranks out

http://i33.tinypic.com/25sst8z.jpg

Then your drive is with in spec and should be fine, trades4usd and please quit jumping others threads its not needed and or polite unless you have something constructive to add.

MrBojangels did you get the same results?

...quit jumping others threads its not needed and or polite...?

B.S. I am offering CONSTRUCTIVE perspective, INSTRUCTIVE and HISTORICAL data in a manner that is both PROFESSIONAL and EXCEEDINGLY POLITE to this user.

Clearly, your inconsistent and or disinformation, specifically 8GB drives having "...transfer speeds should write at about 7.8 MBps and Read at about 29.9 MBps" merits an objective and "experienced" Corsair OWNER'S opinion, RAM GUY. Who can trust your numbers anyway, they vary from day to day, week to week and month to month.

In addition, if you HAD read MrBojangels reply, it is ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that he/she found value in my reply and most definitely did NOT find it impolite.

Again, RAM GUY, your attempts to OBFUSCATE the issue as well as your attempts to STIFLE others is NOT ONLY UNPROFESSIONAL, IT IS UNWARRANTED AND CLEARLY DEMONSTRATES YOUR FAILURE TO RESPECT CUSTOMER LOYALTY.

With due disdain for your unprofessional and totally unwarranted criticism,

T4USD

Please note this is a review for a non-GT drive, that's right when Corsair initially released the Voyager series they had a write speed of 15MBps.

In regards to your small file transfer question, when you're transferring a LARGE number of small files you will get no where near 7MBps, my drive will crawl at under 200KBps.

WOW!!! That is a VERY interesting article. Thanks for the link and references, MrBojangels. I had no idea that Corsair initially professed the 8GB Flash Voyager at 15MBps WRITE speeds. The fact that RAM GUY now states, publicly (at least what I believe as a reliable figure) a WRITE speed of 3.3 MB/S or MBps, Corsair should be ashamed to have descended to such levels - production, marketing, sales and service. ASHAMED!!!

On the LARGE number of files, let me review my previous post where I stated:

WRITE SPEED TESTS

Here, I copied audio files (.wma format, extension) from multiple directories and subdirectories from my NTFS HDD, to my Corsair 8GB Flash Voyager (non-GT version) USB drive (also formatted to NTFS). The multiple files totaled 901 MB and transferred at 3.9MB/sec or MBps.

While you are EXACTLY CORRECT, they did NOT transfer anywhere close to 7MBps, 3.9MBps is 18.2% above RAM GUY's 3.3 figure, and while NO WHERE CLOSE to the "once professed" 15MBps figure, these files did transfer much faster than 200KBps. It seems reasonable to conclude, that like my first 16GB drive (not to be confused with my 8GB drive), you must have a REAL LEMON on your hands.

Sorry to hear that you are having a truly bad experience, and I hope RAM GUY can get it rectified immediately to your complete satisfaction.

Respectfully,

Doubtful (aka T4USD)

WOW!!! That is a VERY interesting article. Thanks for the link and references, MrBojangels. I had no idea that Corsair initially professed the 8GB Flash Voyager at 15MBps WRITE speeds. The fact that RAM GUY now states, publicly (at least what I believe as a reliable figure) a WRITE speed of 3.3 MB/S or MBps, Corsair should be ashamed to have descended to such levels - production, marketing, sales and service. ASHAMED!!!

On the LARGE number of files, let me review my previous post where I stated:

WRITE SPEED TESTS

Here, I copied audio files (.wma format, extension) from multiple directories and subdirectories from my NTFS HDD, to my Corsair 8GB Flash Voyager (non-GT version) USB drive (also formatted to NTFS). The multiple files totaled 901 MB and transferred at 3.9MB/sec or MBps.

While you are EXACTLY CORRECT, they did NOT transfer anywhere close to 7MBps, 3.9MBps is 18.2% above RAM GUY's 3.3 figure, and while NO WHERE CLOSE to the "once professed" 15MBps figure, these files did transfer much faster than 200KBps. It seems reasonable to conclude, that like my first 16GB drive (not to be confused with my 8GB drive), you must have a REAL LEMON on your hands.

Sorry to hear that you are having a truly bad experience, and I hope RAM GUY can get it rectified immediately to your complete satisfaction.

Respectfully,

Doubtful (aka T4USD)

My test was transferring 998 473byte text files, very small files, when transferring less and slightly bigger files like word documents performance isn't much better, only like 200KBps unlike the 3KBps in my small file screenshot.

My test was transferring 998 473byte text files, very small files, when transferring less and slightly bigger files like word documents performance isn't much better, only like 200KBps unlike the 3KBps in my small file screenshot.

Then my test was NO WHERE CLOSE to apples-to-apples. The average audio file transferred in my test ranged between 1,500 and 5,000 KB (significantly higher than yours 473 byte text file size). I will try to find a similar count (around 1000) and size (around 500 bytes) on my PC, then test and report the results back to you later this evening or tomorrow morning.

For additional perspective, however sad, check out this user's experience with the 8GB Flash Voyager... http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74052

Till then, here's wishing your day is less "RAM GUY" stressful,

T4USD

Guys, if you want to convey a lot of information that you've already posted somewhere else in the forum, post a link to your post/thread instead of repeating the same information again. It's MUCH easier to read that way and doesn't clutter up threads.

As for the actual issue, personally I'd ask for an RMA.

http://tsxpress.corsairmemory.com

If you choose not to RMA it, then there's nothing else to be done here.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, that's fine, but NOT over multiple threads.

UPDATE:

After reading your answer to others having the same problem I know what your answer is going to be in my case. Using trashy controllers is not an excuse for manufacturing trashy USB flash drives. I don't think I'll ever use Corsair memory products again. After reading your answers I don't trust Corsair commitment to their customers and to good products.

:(: It's sad that such bad business practice is coming from a company that is supposed to have a good reputation.

UPDATE:

After reading your answer to others having the same problem I know what your answer is going to be in my case. Using trashy controllers is not an excuse for manufacturing trashy USB flash drives. I don't think I'll ever use Corsair memory products again. After reading your answers I don't trust Corsair commitment to their customers and to good products.

:(: It's sad that such bad business practice is coming from a company that is supposed to have a good reputation.

Please don't move my posts in a poor attempt to cover up your dirty way of running a business.

• Corsair Employees

First thing I am sorry for the problem but it is not as you say trashy controllers the issue is what are available to us and they have changed and the performance has dropped a bit on our flash drives but the density has been increased with the advent of 32 and 64 Gig Flash drives. We are looking into other controllers that may be available in the future with having a heavy price tag or some excess baggage associated with them. But for now there is not much we can do and for the record we have never published a Performance spec on any of our flash drives as we know it will change and be subject to the system you run the test with.

Please don't move my posts in a poor attempt to cover up your dirty way of running a business.

Posts are moved in order to provide the proper support and for that reason if for example I were to move this to Customer Care It would be expected especially if you have some concerns related to customer service.

And if so I would suggest you do as I instructed and call in and talk to our customer service and see if there is anything that can be done to help. Please call them at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "3" and I am sure they will do their best to help you.

Please do not double post if you have questions please see the forum rules. I have replied to you once.

NO REPEAT POSTS.

If no-one answers your question, bump it (only once every 24 hours) rather than posting it again. Please don't post the same question in every forum. If necessary, a staff member will move it to the appropriate area. If you think you (or someone else) has posted in an incorrect area, please post this in the thread, or PM an administrator for it to be moved, or better yet, hit the Report button to bring it to the attention of the staff. Corsair's hours of operations are at the top of the forum. It is useless to bump a post made after Corsair's business hours if they have not even seen your post yet. Reading the same thing over and over again is the best way to annoy people and the worst way to get answers.

First thing I am sorry for the problem but it is not as you say trashy controllers the issue is what are available to us and they have changed and the performance has dropped a bit on our flash drives but the density has been increased with the advent of 32 and 64 Gig Flash drives. We are looking into other controllers that may be available in the future with having a heavy price tag or some excess baggage associated with them. But for now there is not much we can do and for the record we have never published a Performance spec on any of our flash drives as we know it will change and be subject to the system you run the test with.

Posts are moved in order to provide the proper support and for that reason if for example I were to move this to Customer Care It would be expected especially if you have some concerns related to customer service.

And if so I would suggest you do as I instructed and call in and talk to our customer service and see if there is anything that can be done to help. Please call them at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "3" and I am sure they will do their best to help you.

Your customer service can't do anything, you initially released this product with specs to a review site that stated 15MBps write speed, you guys won't live up to that, therefore poor business practice.

Just because it wasn't published on your main website doesn't mean you shouldn't have to live up to it, CORSAIR claimed to a review site that their Voyager 8gb flash drive would read at 33MBps and write at 16MBps

Corsair is claiming 33MB/s read speeds and 16MB/s write speeds

A camera company can't release a camera initially with a 10 megapixel sensor and later just start throwing in 6 megapixel sensors because they have become more expensive, they have to release it as a NEW MODEL.

What allocation unit size does Format X: /FS:FAT32 /U use on the flash drives, and will a different size prove to be faster when handling smaller files for running programs?

MrBojangels Please do not double post if you have questions please see the forum rules. I have replied to you once.

I didn't, one of your moderators moved my post from another thread into this one.

• Corsair Employees
The allocation size will be set automatically based on the cluster size and will vary with the size of the drive. Best would be default but you are welcome to play with that setting and test it for better performance for how you use the drive. The link a provided will give you some tips on what you can and cannot change.

• Corsair Employees
Just because it wasn't published on your main website doesn't mean you shouldn't have to live up to it, CORSAIR claimed to a review site that their Voyager 8gb flash drive would read at 33MBps and write at 16MBps

Quote:

Corsair is claiming 33MB/s read speeds and 16MB/s write speeds

Where did a company representative state that please post a link?

I do not think you will find it because we have never published a performance spec. The only thing we have ever posted would be for a specific drive if someone had a question in reference to said drive performance on our forum. However that is not a performance spec and one we did not promise only a guide line to help a user determine if they should replace their drive or not if they had a problem.

Your customer service can't do anything, you initially released this product with specs to a review site that stated 15MBps write speed, you guys won't live up to that, therefore poor business practice.

Have you spoke to them and asked for a supervisor?

A camera company can't release a camera initially with a 10 megapixel sensor and later just start throwing in 6 megapixel sensors because they have become more expensive, they have to release it as a NEW MODEL

Agreed and in this case the size of the drive is the guide not the performance. And if a smaller drive has failed on someone we have replaced it will a larger size.

This is more complicated then just the cost of the controllers and it is industry wide and again we are sorry but there is not much we can do until new controllers come to market

I didn't, one of your moderators moved my post from another thread into this one.

Yes, I moved your posts back to your own thread, as this is where they belong. You have your own discussion thread already. There is no need to take over someone else's thread.

I'm not going to bother calling customer service I refuse to pay for shipping, especially since my biggest beef with this drive is that it takes 20minutes to copy a 350mb application because it can't handle high numbers of small files well.

Maybe if you guaranteed a replacement drive could do better than 150KBps when copying a file heavy applications(7900 files and 350mb) but from I've read your memory controllers are designed to move only very heavy files well(about 100mb in size)

Do I expect 7MBps write speed in this situation? No, but my o.c.z drive I purchased 2 years ago for the same price manages to copy the directory in 5 minutes.

• Corsair Employees

Please try to format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager)

Please try the HD-Bench software to test the performance with 100 MB File size.

for the 8 GIG FV the write should be about 7.4 MBps and read should be about 28 MBps.

If you still have problems we can get it or them replaced, please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived