Corsair Community

Possible bad memory

RTom

VS4GSDSKITT667D2 G installed in Dell Precision M4300 laptop. After notification of memory change at startup, system goes into endless boot cycle. Reinstalled original memory - everything is OK. Reinstalled Corsair memory and back to endless boot cycle.

Wired, thanks for the reply. Yes, it'll see one of the sticks in the BIOS and show 3GB total with one of the original sticks in the other slot. But XP X64 only sees 2GB. I haven't tried both sticks like that, the first one I tried worked as described - maybe only one is bad or maybe ...

Rather than send the memory back to Corsair, I went back to the store and exchanged it for exactly the same part. I installed it and the system booted fine and recognized 4GB just like it should. About 2 minutes later, the laptop crashed and rebooted. This system has NEVER crashed with the original memory. What should I try now?

• Corsair Employee

I would suggest the following:

1. Remove all RAM

2. Power on system

3. Let it run for 20-30 seconds(system may power off prior to 20secs)

4. Remove battery and AC(to insure power is off)

5. Only install the Corsair RAM

6. Check if system is stable

This should force the system to read the SPD on the modules and ensure that the memory settings are being correctly loaded from the modules. Let us know your results!

I flashed the latest BIOS version and I still get the same behavior. About 2 out of 3 times that I power up the laptop, the system crashes and reboots within the first couple of minutes. After that it's fine until the next time I power it up. The new BIOS rev did change one thing, I no longer get an error report in the Event Viewer when the system crashes like this.

Would flashing the BIOS with a new rev do the same thing as powering it up with no memory? I have to remove the keyboard to get at DIMM A and I'm not sure how many times (6 already) I can do that before I break one of the plastic snaps or some other thing. The hinge cover is already starting to look uneven where some of the snaps don't hold as tightly as others.

OK, I did as you suggested - removed the RAM - powered up until it shut itself down - reinstalled RAM - powered up. Same problem. Can you explain a bit about what has to be disabled to run the memory tester? And how to disable and re-enable it? Thanks

Ram Guy, thanks for your help, but I've already spent way too much time on this. I've ordered Dell memory. If I have problems, they'll fix it over the phone. And if they can't, they'll have some one come fix it the next day. The laptop is just a tool not a hobby and I really can't afford to spend more time on it. Thanks again.

A quick update: installed Dell RAM and have seen no issues. The fact that two seperate sets of Corsair memory had problems, but the Dell memory works fine, indicates that Corsair has a compatability issue. RMAs and memory testing would have just prolonged the inevitable.

Archived