Corsair Community

Corsair 4gb to 8gb upgrade

lgbzone

Hi

I have a home server based on an asus m2n-sli deluxe motherboard that currently has 4gb of corsair memory, the code on the memory package states "twin2x4096-6400c4dhx g". I run many virtual machines on this server and would like to add further memory, there is an 8gb kit available but it costs a fortune and I couldn't afford it, can i purchase a second 4gb kit, identicle to the one i have and add that to give a total of 8gb of memory, what are the chances of it working?

many thanks

Lee

Let's just say your odds would be greater if you bought the memory as a quad pack. That means going to 8 gb right from the start. Even so, with all memory slots populated, you will need to lower your memory speed by one or two notches. There are countless posts in these forums relating to that issue.

BTW, please post your system specs. It makes it easier for others.

Hi oldgeezer, thanks for the reply

I understand that an 8gb set would have been preferable, however they didn't exist when i built the server. i have spent time looking at posts on the forum and appreciate that using all for memory slots would most probably mean slowing the bus down, this wouldn't be an issue as i'm more interested in memory size than performance.

adding a second 4gb pair would cost around £50 which i can live with, whereas an 8gb set would cost £170 which i can't justify, especially as i wouldn't have use for my current 4gb pair.

Has anyone tried using 2 twin2x4096-6400c4dhx pairs of memory together, if so please let me know if you had any success or not, especially if you were using an asus m2n-sli deluxe motherboard.

Many thanks

Lee

Has anyone tried using 2 twin2x4096-6400c4dhx pairs of memory together, if so please let me know if you had any success or not, especially if you were using an asus m2n-sli deluxe motherboard.

I have built machines with 4 X 2048 of 6400C4 modules and M2N-SLi Deluxe.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Insert a single stick of the 6400C4 in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU). Restart and enter the BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults and enter these values:

Jumperfree Configuration

AI Tuning: Manual

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: 667MHz
DDR Voltage Control = 2.0v
CPU--> Chipset HT Voltage --> Manual and set to 1.25V
Chipset Standby Core Voltage = 1.45V

DRAM Configuration

Memory Clock Frequency = Manual
Tcl = 4
Trcd = 4
Trp = 4
Tras = 12
1T/2T Command Rate = 2T (MUST be 2T when populating with four DRAM slots)

Shut the system down. Insert a second stick in Slot 3. Restart and check for boot. Shut down and insert a third stick in slot 2. Restart and check for boot. Shut down and insert the last stick in slot 4. Restart and boot to the Memtest86+ V2.01 CD. Run Memtest for two full passes.

Results?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Many thanks for the information.

I purchased a second 4gb pair yesterday, i took the plunge and installed the memory and started the machine leaving all settings on auto, the memory is displayed by the bios. the os is installed onto a mirrored raid after about half an hour the raid array fell into a degraded state, checking the event logs it seems that one of the drives dissapeared for a moment and then returned, any way i rebuilt the array and the server has been running fine ever since, maybe i've just been lucky.

i'll need to shut the server down later for something so i'll take and post the specs here in case it's useful for some one else, i'll also take the oppotunity then to run memtest etc.

obviously problems regarding stability could still arrise yet but i'll keep an eye on it and report back, however i'm feeling quietly confident.

many thanks for your help

Lee

started the machine leaving all settings on auto, the memory is displayed by the bios. the os is installed onto a mirrored raid after about half an hour the raid array fell into a degraded state, checking the event logs it seems that one of the drives dissapeared for a moment and then returned, any way i rebuilt the array and the server has been running fine ever since, maybe i've just been lucky.

When the system fails and by fail I mean that the memory controller (On CPU) degrades due to the Auto settings, keep in mind that you have been warned. The issues I mentioned are often longer term and degenerative. Very likely some day you will turn the system off and it will not turn on, or you will find a blue-screen from which there will be no restart.

I see downtime in your future because you don't listen to advice.

Good luck.

Archived