Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-6400C5 v3.1

yoink21

Rather than starting a new thread i figured I'd just jump in on http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74281]this one. If you'd rather I started my own please let me know.

I also have the Asus P5W-DH and am trying to get it to work with the 8GB of ram (2 pair Corsair TWIN2X4096-64005C 1.8v Ver3.1). I've read the other posts about this and just had a couple questions. First, I'm not too concerned with trying to get 800Mhz out of the DRAM, and am fine with 667MHZ.

Right now I've got my Ram settings at :

DRAM Frequency: 667MHZ

Cas# Latency: 5clocks

Ras # Precharge: 5clocks

Ras to Cas Delay: 5clocks

Ras activate to precharge: 18clocks

Write Recovery Time: 5clocks

Memory Voltage: 1.8v

MCH Volt: Auto

I'm not sure what the write recovery time should be. I couldn't find it listed in any of the forums, so i just stuck with the 5 of everything else. All the other treads said to bump up the MCH Volt, but since my default is auto i didn't know what to bump it up to. My options are 1.55, 1.65, 1.75, 1.85. With the settings i've currently got in the computer it will boot, but is slow to respond and eventually crashes (time depends on what i try to do). Both pairs of my ram are 1.80v and version 3.1.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Rather than starting a new thread i figured I'd just jump in on this one. If you'd rather I started my own please let me know.

I also have the Asus P5W-DH and am trying to get it to work with the 8GB of ram (2 pair Corsair TWIN2X4096-64005C 1.8v Ver3.1). I've read the other posts about this and just had a couple questions. First, I'm not too concerned with trying to get 800Mhz out of the DRAM, and am fine with 667MHZ.

Right now I've got my Ram settings at :

DRAM Frequency: 667MHZ

Cas# Latency: 5clocks

Ras # Precharge: 5clocks

Ras to Cas Delay: 5clocks

Ras activate to precharge: 18clocks

Write Recovery Time: 5clocks

Memory Voltage: 1.8v

MCH Volt: Auto

I'm not sure what the write recovery time should be. I couldn't find it listed in any of the forums, so i just stuck with the 5 of everything else. All the other treads said to bump up the MCH Volt, but since my default is auto i didn't know what to bump it up to. My options are 1.55, 1.65, 1.75, 1.85. With the settings i've currently got in the computer it will boot, but is slow to respond and eventually crashes (time depends on what i try to do). Both pairs of my ram are 1.80v and version 3.1.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Try 1.65v or 1.75v. Also, make sure you have good case airflow as your memory controller will get hotter with 4 modules and the added voltage. If you don't already have one, you may want to add a fan specifically on the memory controller.

So i tried it with the MCH set to 1.65v and 1.75v. Both had the same results as before - the computer boots up fine, then crashes after a few minutes... Not sure what to try from here. I think i may try testing each set individually for stability - just to make sure i don't have a bad dimm or something.

Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

OK, so i decided to test my 2 pairs individually with memtest.

With the first pair, i manually set all timings (667mhz, 5-5-5-18-5, 1.8v) but let the MCH stay at auto as it had been in the past. It passed all tests. I even bumped it up to 800mhz, where it also passed all tests.

I did the same thing with the second set of memory, but it would fail the tests. I then decided to try booting with one stick (from the set that failed) and discovered that one of the sticks seems to be bad, and when i only used it the system wouldn't even post (when i use only the other stick the system posts fine and reads 2048). When i put the bad set in as a pair the bios reads 4096 ram, but fails all memtests.

Is there anything else i should try before requesting an RMA?

After reading a few more threads i decided to do a few more tests.

-Since i have an asus board, i turned off the legacy USB

-Reset all Bios settings to default

-manually set timings (frequency = 800 5-5-5-18-5 1.8v)

-Ran Memtest on first pair Only (They passed 2 full passes)

I then tried to do the same thing with the 2nd pair (the pair i previously had issues with). When both were in, the computer wouldn't even post. I removed one and the computer posted fine. I ran memtest with only the one dimm in and it passed 2 full tests (again with the same settings as the previous test). I then swapped the dimms (using just the one i had pulled when the two wouldn't post) and again the system wouldn't post. I tried multiple dimm slots but it wouldn't post. I'm pretty convinced i have one bad stick of ram.

I then tried to do the same thing with the 2nd pair (the pair i previously had issues with). When both were in, the computer wouldn't even post. I removed one and the computer posted fine. I ran memtest with only the one dimm in and it passed 2 full tests (again with the same settings as the previous test). I then swapped the dimms (using just the one i had pulled when the two wouldn't post) and again the system wouldn't post. I tried multiple dimm slots but it wouldn't post. I'm pretty convinced i have one bad stick of ram.

I agree. RAM GUY will deal with this thread with regards to RMA.

Archived