Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF has no EPP? only runs at 800

bprice

I have a Dell XPS 720 which came with two GB of Corsair Dominator 1066 RAM. I replaced this with 4 GB of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF but this memory only shows running at 800 in BIOS with no EPP (2 GB has EPP).

Windows experince score is 5.9 with 2 GB of RAM from Dell but only 5.1 with new RAM from Corsair.

What do I need to do to get this new RAM to run at 1066?

He replaced the old memory, not added to it :)

Thanks for the clarification :P: And yes, the system is supposed to recognize EPP. Otherwise the BIOS must be manipulated by Ntune to change timings/voltages.

Manual Tuning

The NVIDIA nTune performance manager also has controls located in the Adjust Motherboard Timings and Adjust GPU Settings screens allow the bus speeds to be adjusted manually to increase performance for gaming, or lower performance to conserve power and create a quieter user environment.

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=gy&l=en&s=gen&docid=2D49BCB34F93B73BE040A68F5B281E9B&journalid=5C080FB0D421B164E040AE0AB7E10947&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=28793~7~262233&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

These settings only remain active for the current Windows session. This allows a user to safely return to Windows in the event of a crash, without any possibility of boot issues since the changes are not made directly to the BIOS settings.

Download CPU-z from

Please post screenshots of CPU-z's SPD tabs for both modules.

Thanks for the pointer on using Ntune. I had looked at that before.

I guess I'm confused because the original 1gb x2 sticks of Corsair memory from Dell automatically run at 1066 with the EPP. I expected the new 2gb x2Corsair memory to do the same. But in the BIOS the new memory only shows as 800 and the BIOS screen does not show EPP.

He replaced the old memory, not added to it :)

It looks as though he is either trying to run both sets at the same time or running as the CPU-z SPD tabs show, one 1024 and one 2048? I don't see replacement of the old modules in the SPD tabs.

@bprice

If you are trying to run both sets of modules, then you will not access EPP as the EPP standard is relegated to one set of modules only. In other words, you will only be able to access EPP in the BIOS if you use one set of modules. If both other modules are also EPP enabled (both modules of each kit), then you can test this by installing one kit alone and checking in the BIOS.

It looks as though he is either trying to run both sets at the same time or running as the CPU-z SPD tabs show, one 1024 and one 2048? I don't see replacement of the old modules in the SPD tabs.
Note that both of those screenshots are in slot #1.

bprice, he meant take screenshots of the CPU-Z SPD tab for both of the NEW modules, not one of the old and one of the new.

Archived