Corsair Community

Major issues with the 2gb DDR2 8500 DOMINATORS

ThunderCall

I have 4 2gb sticks that are just laying around because when i try to put them into my computer, they cut my fsb speed and CPU clock speed in half. I'm only using default settings with default BIOS. Right now I'm running fine with 2 1gb PC2 5300 sticks and it's working correctly. I want the 8gb DOMINATORS though. please help

OK, let's get some understanding of hardware limitations and what can be done. When you populate all four DRAM slots it is advised to drop the bandwidth.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard memory controller and a population of all four banks, when running at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Often this will occur in the longer term and the system seems fine until the memory controller finally degenerates somewhat. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have/they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth or the move to an overclock of the FSB <--> MCH <--> DRAM and recoup some DRAM speed via the overclock. I have personally seen these issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

If you research that thread well, you will see that there are two alternatives. One is to drop the bandwidth, raise the memory controller voltage. The other is to drop the bandwidth, raise the memory controller voltage, increase the CPU FSB (via overclock) and concurrently raise the DRAM speed to recoup some of the lost bandwidth.

Before we move on, you must understand this limitation and what can be done. Please post in this thread once you have studied that post and understand it.

Archived