Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - Passed memtest, but random system hangs and slowdown

tylerf08

Just recently upgraded my CPU and RAM, and have been having two issues since this time.

First, I'm noticing an odd type of system slowdown. While my framerates have increased in WoW, for example, I am getting extremely sluggish video performance from my SlingPlayer (streaming video player) when I run it simultaneously on a second monitor with WoW.

Second, for three nights in a row, leaving the system on overnight results in a system hang/crash by the time I wake up in the morning. I'll come back and the display will be blank, keyboard and mouse frozen, and my keyboard's clock (tied to the system) will be frozen. System is still on, however - fans running, etc.

I ran memtest overnight and came back with no errors. This initially led me to think it wasn't the memory. After swapping the memory for my old sticks, however (TWIN2X2048-6400C4D), the SlingPlayer sluggishness goes away completely (framerate in WoW goes down a bit, however). I have not yet had any hangs with the old sticks installed.

BIOS Settings for the new RAM (same as old, coincidentally):

Voltage 2.1, timings 2-2-2-12T

CPU-Z of new RAM:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4657&d=1227661672http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4658&d=1227661695

Two questions:

1) What could be causing these issues with my new sticks, but not showing up on memtest?

2) What should the advanced timings be set at? (left mine at default settings)

Thanks!

EDIT 1: The computer has now been running constantly with no crashes/hangs for 3 days since I swapped out the new RAM for the old RAM.

EDIT 2: Spoke too soon. System hang happened again last night, so now my new culprit is the CPU (possibly the fact that it's a 1333MHz FSB processor in a 680i system, although it has the necessary BIOS upgrades to run such a processor). System is now running with old processor and new RAM - we'll see what happens :/

EDIT 3: Oddly enough, now that new RAM is back in, getting the performance hits I described earlier when running SlingBox and WoW together. So something about this new RAM is definitely making that situation worse. Very confused now.

Thank you for the reply, but this actually isn't a 4 stick setup. I have never had more than a single pair of sticks in the system at a time. I've recently replaced my old corsair ram with new corsair ram, with limited success. I'm seeing slowdowns/performance hits places I haven't before, namely when multi-tasking a fairly memory-intensive game and a streaming video application. (Leaving aside, for the moment, the system freezes, which may be CPU-related and not the fault of the new RAM).

Then the problem is most likely not the memory! Have you tried moving the modules to the other two slots and loading setup defaults and then set the tested settings?

I'll give that a try tonight.

One thing I'll repeat, just for you to keep in mind: when the new RAM is in, I get slowdowns/performance hits, namely when multi-tasking a fairly memory-intensive game and a streaming video application. Removing the new RAM and swapping the old RAM back in (while changing nothing else) resolves this issue.

My apologies - when I said "while changing nothing else," I didn't mean to imply that I failed to reset my BIOS between hardware configuration changes, as I have been doing so each time.

Perhaps I have not been resetting the BIOS correctly/fully? I have been going into the BIOS screen, hitting F7 ("load defaults"), then rebooting back into another BIOS screen and manually setting the timings. Do I have the correct procedure?

• Corsair Employees
From the sound of it, it seems like you can get the system to crash just about every night that the system is left on. With the new modules I would boot into safe mode and leave the system on overnight. If the system has no problems in safe mode, then you may have a driver/software issue. If the issue remains, then its either a hardware problem or an issue with the Windows installation. Let us know your results!

I think I have a better handle on what's going on now. The crashing issue and the multitasking slowdown issue appear to be 2 separate problems. The crashing issue I have narrowed down to a motherboard/CPU issue, so let's get that off the table.

I am still quite concerned about the separate RAM issue, however. I am seeing slowdowns/performance hits, namely when multi-tasking a fairly memory-intensive game and a streaming video application. Removing the new RAM and swapping the old RAM back in (while changing nothing else) resolves this issue.

I am now wondering whether or not there is any documented incompatibility between my memory and the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR board that I have. As part of the resolution of the freezing/CPU issue, I am in the process of RMAing my motherboard, which will be replaced with the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 model. I am hoping that as a collateral benefit, this will also resolve the RAM issue as well, but I would appreciate knowing if I'm on the right track here.

Thanks.

Archived