Corsair Community

Corsair CMPSU-650TX 750TX

erevo

I have a question regarding these powersupplies.

Intro:

I have bought a powersupply from a competitor.

There i have recognized, that after powering off the powersupply still uses 21 watts. Ouch. When powersupply is on, but PC off (Asus Workstation-Board), the system uses 35 Watt... still powered off, 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.

Energy is expensive so i will give it back.

I have looked through many test, technical specificatios etc... but i'm missing how many watts are powersupplies using while the PC is powered off.

Question:

How many watts are the 650tx and 750tx using while the powerswitch is turned off on the powersupply?

How many watts are both using while the powerswitch is turned on, but the pc is turned off?

As i understand, i can calculate the watts myself if the pc is on:

Formular: Watt usage for the complete pc = 100%

So if 85% efficient, 15% of the complete Watts are used from the powersupply.

So what do i have as a customer from an efficients of 85% if the powersupply itself is using 35 Watt when PC is powered off?

Thanks for the answere.

Thorsten

• Corsair Employees
There are several threads on this subject in this section and I think you are making some miss judgments. Please read through some of the other posts and then if you still have questions I will ask Power Gu to help you.

Hello Ram Guy,

thanks for the fast answere.

I have read all Messages back till may 08 and couldn't find an answere to my question and it seems, that you self have no answer on this issue?

I have found two threads related to my issue with no answer at all... but it seems, that this problem is also arround with corsair products... but it is not clear what is happening.

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73226

here we have the same problem = the same question i have.

Your answere is to RMA the PSU... but i don't think this is a psu problem, may be it is a problem by design? (Related to all PSU's world wide?)

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72951

Also here is the same question i have...with no answere from Corsair!

I know, that a cheap wattmeter is not able to show exactly the watts and i really don't care if it is clibrated or not. I'm not intereseted if the used Power is 21 watt or 19 watt. I also know, that ther is Cos pi and wattage which is not showing correct because of the phases. (Sorry my mother language is not english).

However, as everybody is thinking:

If i put the powerswitch on the PSU to off: The wattmeter should show 0 Watt! And not as in the second example 10W! If i putt off the Powercord, the wattmeter shows 0 watt so i think this is digital on/off and there for also a cheap wattmeter is enough.

If the PSU is switched on and the PC is switched off, i'm expecting someting like 3 Watt for the motherboard to power on and may be 2 more watts for the PSU = 5 watts.... but not 35 watts i have seen! May be the wattmeter is not exact so i can subtract may be 10 watts... but 25 watts is also to much for 24h*365days a year.

But may be i have not find the correct thread, but i'm sure, there is no answere at all.

Here again my question about the technical data of Corsair specifications:

How many watts are the 650tx and 750tx using while the powerswitch is turned off on the powersupply?

How many watts are both using while the powerswitch is turned on, but the pc is turned off?

Thanks

Thorsten

• Corsair Employees

The PFC (power factor correction) circuit causes a discrepency between what the PSU is *really* drawing from the wall and what it's *apparantly* drawing from the wall (according to your meter).

It is explained fairly well on wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

Specifically the top paragraph that reads:

"Due to energy stored in the load and returned to the source, or due to a non-linear load that distorts the wave shape of the current drawn from the source, the apparent power can be greater than the real power."

The other issue is that not every PSU uses the same PFC circuit, and even though two power supplies may be rated the same as far as wattage, the reading from the wall may be different because of these differences.

Archived