Corsair Community

Random voltage coming out of 5V rail

Dean C

I contacted someone on another forum who was a Corsair rep regarding this issue, and he promptly replied to my PM, but has yet to reply to my email which he provided. Consequently I'll post this here :)

The problem

I had 3 hard-drives fail within the space of a week and became suspicious that my PSU was playing up. I tested the 5V rail, using a multimeter, and it was throwing out 5.65V which is well above the max allowed of 5.25V according to the ATX spec.

The communication

I sent in an RMA request with a detailed explanation of what the problem was with the voltage and simply received two automated replies setting up an RMA number, telling me to ship my PSU (from the UK) to the Netherlands, where it will be inspected and a replacement sent if it's deemed faulty.

I'd taken the time to try and explain what I thought was wrong with my PSU and expected to receive a reply written by a human on whether the PSU was faulty or not or whether that kind of voltage could have bricked my drives. So I replied to the automated email stating that it will cost me almost as much as the PSU cost to ship it to the Netherlands and that I was disappointed that no-one had even answered the questions I posed in my original RMA request. I also pointed out that I am a university student and cannot afford to be without a working PC during my exam periods.

I received a response written in Engrish which again evaded my technical questions and said in a roundabout way that if I gave corsair a tracking # as soon as I sent my package they'd send a replacement.

So, to conclude there are a few outstanding issues:

1. Shipping something as big and heavy as this PSU to another country is going to cost me almost as much as it would to just order a replacement off ebuyer. The Sales & Goods Act (law) in the UK states that manufacturers owe it to consumers to replace defective products and cover any costs incurred facilitating this replacement. So why is Corsair telling me that I will not have my shipping refunded?
  2. After having 3 drives failed (presumably as a result of this defective PSU), I'm now going to have to wait for a replacement PSU and have no way of doing my university studies at home whilst I wait for a replacement? I recently had a failed XBOX360 off of amazon.co.uk and they sent me a replacement no questions asked with next day delivery, and then gave me a month to send back my defective unit. They also refunded the (expensive) shipping for me to send back the xbox360 to them. That is what customer service should be like.

As a side note I would like to thank George (RedBeard) for his prompt response to my private message over at another forum. After finding this forum hopefully we can get all of this sorted out :)

Thanks

Dean

The Sales & Goods Act (law) in the UK states that manufacturers owe it to consumers to ... cover any costs incurred facilitating this replacement.

1. How long have you had the PSU?

2. I attempted to find where in that Act that it states shipping must be covered, and I didn't find it. Could you please provide a link to where it says that?

1) 4 months

2)

If the consumer chooses the option of a repair or replacement, the trader must do this within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer. The trader must also pay all the relevant costs, e.g. labour, postage, etc.

Unfortunately, for me, because I am going directly to the manufacturer (Corsair), the sales & goods act doesn't apply to me. I'll try getting in touch with ebuyer unless Corsair are willing to help me in the way the retailer is required to, by law. Sorry for the confusion.

• Corsair Employees
1) 4 months

2)

Unfortunately, for me, because I am going directly to the manufacturer (Corsair), the sales & goods act doesn't apply to me. I'll try getting in touch with ebuyer unless Corsair are willing to help me in the way the retailer is required to, by law. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem at all, if you have problems with your reseller, then please contact our Customer Service and they may be able to help you!

Archived