Corsair Community

RAM - Frequency Vs. Latency

Argon

Howdy,

See my specs sheet.

Due to the mobo I am running, it would seem that I cannot currently run my RAM at the 1600 Mhz it is rated too.

My question, could I lower my letency settings from 9-9-9-24 to get a bit more speed out of them at the lower frequency of 1333 Mhz?

The mobo originally had the RAM set at 7-7-7-20 at 1.5v.

Any ideas on latency I should use?

Also, is it better to have a higher FSB with a lower multiplier (400Mhz x 7 vs. 333Mhz x 8.5), or does it make no difference?

Thanks

Howdy,

See my specs sheet.

Due to the mobo I am running, it would seem that I cannot currently run my RAM at the 1600 Mhz it is rated too.

My question, could I lower my letency settings from 9-9-9-24 to get a bit more speed out of them at the lower frequency of 1333 Mhz?

I have personally found 7-6-6-16 1T at 1500Mhz and 1.8v with my 1600C7 to be pretty fast. Test for yourself. It's not something I can give you. You must test your hardware to see what you can get out of it. It's the board, cpu and DRAM. Just lower and Memtest.

Also, is it better to have a higher FSB with a lower multiplier (400Mhz x 7 vs. 333Mhz x 8.5), or does it make no difference?

It is better to have a higher FSB with a lower multiplier IF you can gain the same speed. I run with 500Mhz X 8 = 4.0Ghz on this board, but my last board would not do that and I had to run with 450 X 9. 500 X 8 is snappier to be certain, but if you blue screen, then it's not much use.

It's all hardware specific.

Howdy,

See my specs sheet.

Thanks

Haven't had a chjance to fully test this yet...

Ran benchmark on Far Cry 2, highest setings, 8 x AA.

CPU FSB @ 333 Mhz x 8.5 = 2.83 Ghz and RAM at 1333 Mhz - FPS = 31.5

CPU FSB @ 400 Mhz x 8.5 = 3.4 Ghz and RAM at 1200 Mhz - FPS = 31.4

Everything else was left same, like latency timings. Haven't had a chance to try many settings yet. Only other setting I had time for was,

CPU FSB @ 450 Mhz x 8.5 = 3.825 Ghz and RAM at 1350 Mhz - but it crashed

Will try a few more tonight, seems the RAM is not stable after 1333 Mhz, but will memtest it when I have the time.

Haven't had a chjance to fully test this yet...

Ran benchmark on Far Cry 2, highest setings, 8 x AA.

Everything else was left same, like latency timings. Haven't had a chance to try many settings yet. Only other setting I had time for was,

CPU FSB @ 450 Mhz x 8.5 = 3.825 Ghz and RAM at 1350 Mhz - but it crashed

Will try a few more tonight, seems the RAM is not stable after 1333 Mhz, but will memtest it when I have the time.

It takes a lot of time to find stability. I've been working for two days to get my latest fully stable. Memtest stable, Linpack stable but still reboots.

But that's the fun of it for me. If it was just plug and play I would have no fun. I can plug and play 4.0Ghz with 1500Mhz and 7-6-5-15 1T and a 500FSB. 1600Mhz on these Micron IC's takes work on this board. The BIOS seems to be more tuned to the Samsung IC's at the moment. The BIOS engineers can only spend so much time on different IC's. Until then, it is more up to us to find stability at the higher end. But that's what I personally like.

Here's 68 pages of people working on this board.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196683

See? That's the fun of it. Those who do not want to work on systems need to buy a more lower functionality based system.http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/6-2.jpg

I personally stick with ASUS for the highly tuned boards. They have far more BIOS and System Engineers than any other company. I find Gigabyte harder to get stable and far less revisions of BIOS's tuned to the DRAM.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from and I will certainly spend a bit more time on research before buying my next system.

But, I was just posting that there was no discernable difference in gaming performance having a higher FSB and total clock frequency when the RAM stays at the same frequency.

But, I have only spent very little time on this yet and tried only two settings (did a complete RAID and windows rebuild last night, ran out of time). Is interesting though.

Edit: Why is there a mad face in my subject line? Don't remember pressing that. Meh...

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from and I will certainly spend a bit more time on research before buying my next system.

But, I was just posting that there was no discernable difference in gaming performance having a higher FSB and total clock frequency when the RAM stays at the same frequency.

But, I have only spent very little time on this yet and tried only two settings (did a complete RAID and windows rebuild last night, ran out of time). Is interesting though.

Edit: Why is there a mad face in my subject line? Don't remember pressing that. Meh...

You need to perform far more tests than one and especially just one game. There could well be a capping of the frame rate. You need to perform many more tests.

And if you find the same results, then your findings are contrary to those of us who have tested the results differently. Multiplex audio and video into a rendered format. Test the time to perform this task. Import a 100MB video file and create 50 steps of actions. Then undo those actions. Test how long this takes. Test a load of FEAR, FAR CRY, CRYSIS, BIOSHOCK. Test the FPS of both and see the results.

It's your choice though. I know what I have found.

As well, test with the same CPU speed and DRAM. With your CPU it will be hard since you are locked at a lower multiplier. I have tested with QX9650.

Is not the way to test. Keep the CPU Speed the same, lowering and raising the multiplier and strapping to gain close to identical DRAM speeds.

The only variable that should be different in the comparisons is the FSB via the multiplier.

Your DRAM is faster in comparison 1 and CPU slower. You measure this against a faster FSB and CPU (By 600Mhz) and a lower DRAM speed.

Test this way:

CPU FSB @ 333 Mhz x 8.5 = 2.83 Ghz and RAM at 1333 Mhz - FPS = ???

CPU FSB @ 400 Mhz x 7 = 2.8 Ghz and RAM at ~1333 Mhz - FPS = ???

See?

Archived