Corsair Community

replacing bad modules for different kind of modules?

Yoad

Hello,

I have a set of XMS2 Twin2x2048-6400cl4, Both showed errors on them.

A Little piece of my technical history I should point out is that even prior to them showing errors [as when I recieved the modules, they did not show any errors at memtest of the version that was back then 'latest'] the computer still had a lot of issues working with them, for example, it would not boot at the correct CL timings [4-4-4-12, it would only boot at 5-5-5-18+], It gave me blue screens, reset loops at POST etc..

So i've tried replacing the motherboard [after they started showing up errors] and it did not fix the errors.

The memories may or may not be damaged [although probably they are], but I was recommended to get a different model of memory and I wanted to know if it can be done, i'm willing to add money if that's the issue.

Also I should note that I spoke on the phone with the tech department, they said that there should not be any compatibility issues with my current set of memories, so they don't see a reason to give me a different set of modules[meaning they are willing to replace my damaged ones for new ones of the same part number], how ever, because I currently live outside of USA, shipping the modules isn't as cheap as shipping them inside USA to corsair, So to make sure there is no compatibility issue I would still like to get a different modules, Can you do something about it?

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, I've seen that list, how ever due to the fact that even prior to giving errors [or at least the version of the memtest that was available when i first checked them didn't find any errors] they already didn't work very well with the board... and along with the possibility of compatibility issues with the cpu's memory controller, isn't it just better to give me a different set and avoid the possible hassle? [and expense of money on shipping?]

erm, the pc i have listed in my profile is not updated XD i've a completely different pc. still even with the current motherboard i've, the site says they should be compatible, but that still doesn't necessarily means its NOT compatibility issues [if not with motherboard than with what you mentioned..]

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
The modules that you have are designed to boot up at 5-5-5-18 for compatibility reasons, and you would need to set the tested settings manually in the BIOS to make sure the system is 100% stable. The tested settings consist of setting the memory voltage to 2.1 volts, and setting the timings to 4-4-4-12. If the memory was left at the default (1.8v) setting, then that could have caused some stability issues. I would test each module one at a time at these settings and see if you still get the same errors. Let us know your results, and also please tell us which type of motherboard these are being tested on, along with the type of CPU you are using.

The modules that you have are designed to boot up at 5-5-5-18 for compatibility reasons, and you would need to set the tested settings manually in the BIOS to make sure the system is 100% stable. The tested settings consist of setting the memory voltage to 2.1 volts, and setting the timings to 4-4-4-12. If the memory was left at the default (1.8v) setting, then that could have caused some stability issues. I would test each module one at a time at these settings and see if you still get the same errors. Let us know your results, and also please tell us which type of motherboard these are being tested on, along with the type of CPU you are using.

Hi.

Sorry but I don't get it? I bought CL4 Memories and paid a premium for it over the CL5 version, why would they be designed to boot at 5-5-5-18?

Also, I did test the settings manually in bios, made sure voltage is correct, and ran memtest on both modules together at dual mode and each one individually [i think I even tested different ram slots, but that's irrelevant because i've also tried replacing the board].

either way it seems they have deteriorated to the state where my system would not even boot with them any more. [won't show POST].

So what about my main question?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Hi.

Sorry but I don't get it? I bought CL4 Memories and paid a premium for it over the CL5 version, why would they be designed to boot at 5-5-5-18?

Some motherboards will simply fail to boot up if the SPD is programmed to boot up at 4-4-4-12 at 800MHz. The fastest official spec for DDR2 is 5-5-5-18 at 800MHz, anything more aggressive than this is an overclocked spec and you would need to manually configure the system. We test and guarantee every module to run at its advertised settings.

For returns or exchanges please contact your reselller, if they can not help you then you can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see if there are any other options.

If you would like to have us replace the modules for you, for the same part number, then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

• Corsair Employees

I understand that you believe there to be a compatibility issue between the motherboard you are using and the memory you have. Can you tell me the make and model of the motherboard and which BIOS revision are you using? Also, what type of CPU do you have and what is the revision of the memory that you are using?

If the memory was working well enough to allow you to use the system, and you were even passing Memtest initially, then I would not suspect that there could be a compatibility issue.

Whether or not our RMA department can give you a different part number is not up to me. If our memory configurator lists your memory as being compatible with your motherboard then we guarantee it to work. If you get another set of this same memory and it turns out that there is a compatibility issue then we would take care of it for you, but first I need to know some information on your system to see if a compatibility issue is even a remote possibility.

Hi,

965P-DS4 Rev 2.0 is the MB, and the CPU is C2D E6400.

Well, from the very first week that I've had them, the computer gave blue screens, and would get into random restart loops [especially prior to POST when trying to start the computer], and other problems.

Now, it might be on your compatible list, and I understand you guarantee it to work and are even willing to give me a different part number of ram in case another set of ram of the same P/N won't work, but since there are grounds to suspect there are compatibility issues and I currently reside outside the US, i'm asking if you can check what you can do to spare the hassle, and i'm even willing to add money.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Gigabyte has your exact memory modules listed on their motherboard memory QVL (qualified vendor list). At this point I have seen nothing that would give me the slightest idea that the modules are failing due to a compatibility issue with your motherboard. Can you tell me why you believe this to be a compatibility issue?

Hi,

As i've said in earlier posts, even prior to memtest finiding errors on the ram [perhaps it has to do with the version of memtest but i didnt really try to verify that] the computer had a lot of stability issues, which got worse on time to the point of which the comp won't get to POST with the sticks.

I'm not a ram expert, but from what I understand, ram that comes OK usually stays OK, these ram modules developed more issues over time [along with errors at memtest and failure to reach post].

I'm just trying to avoid shipping back and forth since these shipping are costly for both sides.

• Corsair Employees

I would suspect that you either had a failing DIMM slot on the board, a problem with the memory controller on the system or possibly a configuration issue. Although its possible that both modules slowly failed on their own at the same time with the same issues, it would be extremely unlikely. Normally if you have a failing memory module you will get one that fails and one that passes. If the problem is with the memory modules themselves, then replacing them for the same part should resolve your problem. If you have the same problems with a new set of memory, then I would suspect that you have some other issue.

As far as compatibility, you can look up our Lab Tests and you will see that we tested the GA-965P-DS3 with the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 modules and had no problems at all. We were able to run through all of our benchmarks without any problems.

Just set the first drop down menu to - "Show All Tested"

Set the second drop down menu to - "Gigabyte"

Set the third drop down menu to - "GA-965P-DS3"

Then select your memory modules (TWIN2X2048-6400C4).

In the report you will see the settings which we have manually set along with our test results. I am aware of the fact that your motherboard is the GA-965P-DS4 version, however the only difference between the two boards is the built-in RAID controller, the single x16 PCIE slot, and the heatsink they use on the chipset. None of these things will effect your memory compatibility.

If you would like to accurately check the memory to make sure that the modules are faulty then I would do the following:

First Clear your CMOS via the CLRTC jumper on the board and see if either module will allow you to post individually. If both modules fail to post individually, then take a single module and test it in each slot to make sure you do not have a failing DIMM slot on the board. If both modules fail to allow the system to post, then I would test them in a different system to be 100% sure the problem is with the modules and not the motherboard.

If you are able to post the system with either one of the modules please do the following:

Update your BIOS to the most current version

Load setup/optimized defaults in the BIOS

Memory Frequency: 800MHz

Memory Voltage: +.3v on Gigabyte, this will put you at 2.1v (default value is 1.8v)

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2T

Save and exit the BIOS, and then you will want to test each module one at a time with Memtest86 version 2.1. Here are detailed instructions on how to run memtest:

Step:

1. Go to http://www.memtest.org and click on the "Download (Pre-built & ISOs)" link near the top of the page. This will take you further down the page to the download section.

2. The most common way to run Memtest is to burn it to a CD/DVD and boot the system from the disc, so you will want to click on the "Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)" link. Make sure you are downloading the most up to date version of Memtest; the most current version will normally be listed first underneath a header with red text.

3. Once you have downloaded the .zip file you will need to extract the file inside. The easiest way to do this is to simply double-click the file you just downloaded, and then drag the file that you find inside to your desktop. The file you downloaded and the file you extract have very similar names, so try to make sure you know which is which. Once you have extracted the file that you need, please delete the .zip file which you originally downloaded, so you do not get the 2 files confused.

If you do not know which file is which, then you can right click each file and select "Properties" to view its file size. the file you are going to use will be larger than the .zip file, so you can delete the smaller file..

4. So now you have your .iso file and you are ready to make your Memtest disc. You will need to have some CD/DVD burning software installed such as Nero or Roxio, although there are many others which will work fine as well. You can not burn this correctly using the built in Windows burning utility. The easiest way to properly burn the disc is to right click the .iso file, select the "open with" option and then locate and select the CD/DVD burning software that you are going to use. When opening the file this way all proper settings should be automatically set, so just make sure you have a blank disc in your drive and click "Burn."

If you have trouble burning the disc this way then you will need to open your CD/DVD burning program and find the option that says "Burn Image to Disk", or "Burn Backup from .ISO file." Once you have selected the correct way to burn the disc, locate the Memtest .iso file on your desktop and either drag it into your programs burn window, or locate it using the built in browser in your program, and then click “Burn.”

5. Once you have successfully burned your Memtest disc, its time to run it. You will need to make sure that your BIOS has been setup to boot from your CD/DVD rom before your Hard Disk. Once you reboot your system you may need to "Hit any key to boot from CD/DVD" so keep your eyes peeled and hit a key when it requests it.

6. If everything was done right, then you should see a blue screen with a lot of numbers and progress bars. At the top right you will see a "Pass %" and a "Test %." The Pass % tells you how far you are from making one complete pass through Memtest. The Test % tells you how far you are from completing the current test. There are 8 different tests, and once you make a full pass, Memtest will automatically loop back to the first test and start over. If you see the Pass % is over 100% then you have already made a full pass.

And here is a guide to help you interpret your results:

How to test:

You will want to test the modules one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU to start testing. If you get errors, hit "ESC" to stop the test and go on to the next module.

How to interpret your results:

One module gives me errors, my other module(s) do not: If you have followed the instructions above and you have a single module giving you errors in the slot closest to the CPU and an identical module (same part number) which gives you no errors, then there is a good chance that the memory module is faulty and we would want to replace the pair/set for you.

All of my modules are failing when tested individually: This might indicate a problem with either configuration, or a problem with the motherboard. The first step would be to test the modules in a different DIMM slot on the board to see if you get consistent results, and if possible, test in a different system to verify that the problem follows the memory.

All of my modules pass when tested individually, but fail when tested as a pair: This might indicate a problem with running in dual channel mode which is a function of the motherboard, and could possibly indicate a problem with the memory controller. At this point you should install the pair of modules in single channel mode (usually single channel will be enabled when you install each module into a different color slot on the board, however this is not always the case, and you should refer to your motherboard manual to make sure).

My memory passes Memtest in single channel mode, but fails when running in dual channel: This would normally indicate that you are using mismatched memory, have a problem with the memory controller, or a power related issue. If you have the option, you will want to test the memory in a different system. If this is what is happening to you, then it would be suggested that you contact your motherboard manufacturer to see if they would recommend getting the board replaced.

Of course if you would just like to try replacing the memory then we can do that, please use the links I provided in previous posts (above) and we will be happy to replace them for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi,

About the chance about bad ram slot, thats why i've tried to replace the motherboard to same model different revision to make sure its not the problem...

Anyhow, currently im pretty sure they're damaged but as I keep saying, I get a feeling what ruined them was compatibility issues [although I can't be 100% sure] for the reasons I have stated a couple of times along this topic.

Well, replacing them is something that should be done, the only question is why's it such a problem to replace them to a different model of ram, when i'm even willing to pay a premium for that swap?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Well, replacing them is something that should be done, the only question is why's it such a problem to replace them to a different model of ram, when i'm even willing to pay a premium for that swap?

From technical support I would not be able to set this up for you, we have nothing to do with the RMA once the RMA has been approved. You can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see what options would be available.

The bottom line, is that depending on the revision of the modules that you have, it would be unlikely that you would receive the same revision as a replacement. Just getting a different revision of the same part should rule out a possible compatibility issue, so there is no reason to change the part number.

Hi,

Alright, since my RMA is already approved and all, i'll try to talk with the customer service.

Thank you for the information and the service you provided me in this thread :) I appreciate it.

Regards,

-Yoad

Archived