Corsair Community

Unable to boot into windows with 4gb of ram with Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard

petev

I have an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard with a core2 E6600 CPU. I have been using CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB at default bios settings for memory, which is set to Auto. (voltage was monitored at 1.8v) I have an NVIDIA Geforce 8800gts 320mb video card. For the power supply, I am using a 535w ENERMAX EG565P-VE FMA II ATX 1. I am running windows Vista Ultimate-64bit

I just purchased 2 more gigs of corsair ram: TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX

After I put in the RAM I went to Bios first and verified that it was seeing all 4096mb of ram. I then exited with default bios settings and got a dos error, before windows loaded. It said I needed to run a repair install on windows? I then tried just using one module of ram and was able to boot and run windows fine. Windows saw 3gb of ram.(on a side note, my windows rating DROPPED with the extra gig of ram) I then turned off the computer and moved the working module to the other dimm slot on my mobo and worked fine. I then added the second module and had the same problem with the error and was unable to boot into windows. I then took out the 4th module and went online and updated to the latest Bios version from Asus for my board. Still had the same problems with the ram after the bios update.

I went to your forum and after seeing a similar problem manually set my bios settings:

Sli ready: disabled

memory voltage:2.0v

1.2vHT: 1.25v

NB core:1.4v

sb core:1.55v

CPUVTT:1.25v

Tcl:5

Trcd:5

Trp:5

Tras:12

command per clock:2

Trc:24

After making these changes I did not get the dos error, but then got a Blue screen about a memory dump and had to shutdown. I got this error even when trying to boot into safe mode. I then went back to Bios and changed the settings to:

Tcl:4

Trcd:4

Trp:4

Tras:12

Command per clock:2

Trc:24

Saved and reboot

THIS TIME, I was able to boot into safe mode and windows was detecting all 4gb of ram. When I tried to boot into normal mode, I got the blue screen with the error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I have tried memtestx86, but can’t figure out how to create a boot DVD(only writable data I have) with the ISO file(cant use the exe because of 64bit) I saved the ISO to DVD and when I boot with it, just says non boot disk. I then extracted the ISO file and saved the BOOT folder and ISO file to another DVD, that got the same error when trying to boot with that as well.

I apologize for the long-winded description. Thank you very much for your time and help!

When you populate all four DRAM slots it is advised to drop the bandwidth one bin and increase the Memory Controller voltage +.2v.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller.

Insert one stick of DRAM in slot 1. Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Tuning = Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex = Disabled
LinkBoost = Disabled

Extreme Tweaker Screen

FSB & Memory Config[/b][indent]FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 266 (1066)
MEM (DDR), MHz = 333 (667)

CPU Configuration
CPU Multi = 9
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled 
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Enhance Intel Speedstep Tech = Disabled

Chipset

Memory Timing Setting
tCL = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
Command Per Clock = 2 clocks

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 60  
Async Latency = Auto

Voltages
Vcore  = Auto
Vdimm (DRAM Voltage)  = 2.1v
1.2v HT = 1.2v
NB Vcore = 1.45v
SB Vcore = 1.55v
CPU VTT = 1.35v

Shut the system down. Insert the second stick of DRAM in Slot 3. Install Windows VISTA and update to SP1. After update to SP1, restart the system and allow Windows to load to the desktop. Download memtest from http://www.memtest.org and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Do not use a DVD Blank, use a CD-ROM to burn the image. Be sure to burn as an image and not a data disk.

Restart the system and make sure it boots. Then shut down and insert a third stick in slot 2. Restart the system and make sure it boots. Then shut down and finally insert the last stick in slot 4. Restart and boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

PS. Please clean up your post. There is so much white space that it is hard to read and many will just bypass your post.

Thanks Derek!!

I was finally able to boot into windows and run all my programs without any errors! I ran memtest and did 2 full passes with no errors! I will post my cpu-z screenshots tonight when I get home.

One thing I noticed is that my windows rating for memory did not change from when I had 2gb to now having 4 gb. It is still at a rating of 5.4

Thanks again for all your help!

Pete

Quite often the Rating will lower because VISTA checks for DRAM speed and since you have more DRAM density, often the test will not a somewhat slower speed and reflect this. It does not check and apply a higher rating for more DRAM density (Capacity).

Good to hear that you are running stably now.

Thanks Derek!!

I was finally able to boot into windows and run all my programs without any errors! I ran memtest and did 2 full passes with no errors! I will post my cpu-z screenshots tonight when I get home.

One thing I noticed is that my windows rating for memory did not change from when I had 2gb to now having 4 gb. It is still at a rating of 5.4

Thanks again for all your help!

Pete

Archived