Corsair Community

8gbs @1600mhz runs stable but 4gbs will not

Bigbruser13

I have not been able to boot into Vista stable @1600mhz with one kit but If I put in my Mushkin 2x2gb kit with the same Cl 7 and speed with my Corsair I can boot into Vista stable. I Have read every thread I can find with problems running my Corsair at rated speed and know one has the same issue I have. I want to run my Corsair alone twin3x4096-1600C7DHXIN G according to Corsair compatibility list for Rampage Extreme this kit almost the same except the only difference is mine is DHXIN and the listing is just DHXN, what is the difference? I can't find answer anywhere. And why am only stable with 8gb in? It seems contrary to what is expected with running this much ram. I'm confused and I've tried mem test and they seem fine until I hit the O.S. I get the BSOD unless I skew em a bit but still not stable enough. Anybody have a clue as to what might be the issue? Thanks

It's a typo. There's no TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXN model, just TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN.

So are you saying that running the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN by itself isn't stable, but running it with the other brand memory gets you a stable rig?

What timings / voltage are you running the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN pack at (by itself)?

It's a typo. There's no TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXN model, just TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN.

So are you saying that running the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN by itself isn't stable, but running it with the other brand memory gets you a stable rig?

What timings / voltage are you running the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN pack at (by itself)?

I have DHXIN and the listed compatible ram for this board is DHX So I typoed yes. So everything in the "part number" is the same except mine is like I said DHXIN G and the listed is all the same too except it is DHX G at the end. And Ya I can run with another brand totaling 8gb, everything is the same: speed, voltage, size-density (2x2gb kit) Cas 7. But Corsair the corsair kit alone in dual channel will not boot into vista at the XMP rated SPD

Yes please list the exact settings you had set for both CPU and memory?

Everything is auto when booting 8gb @1600mhz except, [RAM V. 1.89X], [timings are set to rated 7-7-7-20] [speed is 1600mhz] [CPU is Q9550 ratio 8.5] [FSB=400] [CPU PLL=1.5XX] I can even overclock a little with 8gb in to 17XXmhz. But with ether kit alone installed I can only boot into vista in single channel mode or if I skew the RAM a little @1600mhz, but is very very unstable with the skew, "but bootable". I've tried a ton of different settings trying to get 1 kit to boot at the XMP rated SPD but nothing works except like I said above. Very strange indeed. So what is the difference between DHXIN and just DHX? One other thing, my Corsair kit number starts with: (WIN3X) on the NewEgg sales order and on the web page but not on the package. What's with that? or what does that mean?

Same thing here. I have Corsair 1600DHXIN 2x2GB and plunked another brand of 1600 2x2GB in and set RAM Volt 1.9, 7-7-7-20-2N and she booted fine and ran 3DMARK06 no sweat. This board wants bios settings set manually and the funky memory controller wants all 4 sockets filled for 1600MHz. After that it's cake. I have had this memory issue since early September and 4 boards later until now to get more than 2GB stable @ 1600MHz. Feeling pretty hampy right now. Hope this helps some of you guys.

PS That's 8GB total at those settings.

Right, the C7DHX set seems to handle this board with 2x2GB stix alot better and have been tested and qualified for this board. The DHXIN set that I have just seemed to give not only me but alot of other people issue unless you were using 1x2GB stick or 4x2GB stix. 2x2GB stix just seemed unhappy no matter what.

Right, the C7DHX set seems to handle this board with 2x2GB stix alot better and have been tested and qualified for this board. The DHXIN set that I have just seemed to give not only me but alot of other people issue unless you were using 1x2GB stick or 4x2GB stix. 2x2GB stix just seemed unhappy no matter what.

Strange. I do find that the white slots are better though and that the blue slots are a bit more unstable at 1600Mhz. Timings tighten better in the second set.

Nice looking setup btw. Does the Auzuntech soundcard have a Front Panel header?

Check the Corsair site for the difference :) IN = Intel XMP.

If you mean the part # of the sticks isn't identical to the pair, that's because they ARE supposed to be different, as each denotes different things.

Have you tried checking the site for IN = Intel XMP? I have, No hits. So I tried IN Intel XMP and all I got was: Intel XMP. The search Ignored the IN part which is the most Important part so why don't you explain it? And if you are suggesting that IN refers to Intel well obviously I have an Intel board so then since Ii have DHXIN I do not have a pair of Corsairs recommened kits for my board which really bites since I paid 450.00 for them. I made the mistake of trusting the newegg customer reviews on these sticks with this board. Dam I should have came to the site first.

Strange. I do find that the white slots are better though and that the blue slots are a bit more unstable at 1600Mhz. Timings tighten better in the second set.

Nice looking setup btw. Does the Auzuntech soundcard have a Front Panel header?

Thanks DerekT, No front panel but the digital out works great and the overall sound is phenominal.

Have you tried checking the site for IN = Intel XMP? I have, No hits. So I tried IN Intel XMP and all I got was: Intel XMP. The search Ignored the IN part which is the most Important part so why don't you explain it? And if you are suggesting that IN refers to Intel well obviously I have an Intel board so then since Ii have DHXIN I do not have a pair of Corsairs recommened kits for my board which really bites since I paid 450.00 for them. I made the mistake of trusting the newegg customer reviews on these sticks with this board. Dam I should have came to the site first.
http://www.corsair.com/products/xms3dhx/default.aspx

TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN *

* Supports Intel Extreme Memory Profiles

Corsair Modules Compatible with the Asus Rampage Extreme

TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX are indeed compatible. The variations (NV/IN) aren't always listed, usually human error I believe, but worst case scenario, the extra settings in the NV/IN variations are ignored by the board, so they won't affect compatibility.

Also:

Asus Rampage Extreme spec page

- Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

Archived