Corsair Community

Shorted out PSU (HX520), now unstable OS

imastud71

I built a computer for my mother in law and right before I was going to deliver it I opened up the case to zip-tie a wire while the computer was on and my ring hit the exposed power leads on the video card, sparked and instantly shut the computer off. I smelled a whiff of the magic electronic smoke, banged my head against the table (literally) and turned it back on. Everything turned on fine and ran perfectly. Now here is the problem, when I turn off the computer about 3/4 through the shut down process it just dies, when I turn the computer back on I get the improper shut down message every time. On a side note the computer also stopped recognizing 1 stick of the ram after the short until I switched them around and now its fine. The bios shows +12v at the rails but other programs like speedfan only show +6.xxv at the +12v rail. Any ideas how to troubleshoot the problem?

• Corsair Employees
Most programs will not be accurate when reading PSU voltages. I would recommend that you reset the BIOS, load setup defaults in the BIOS and see if you have the same issues. If the problems persist, then you may want to test the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same results. I would also recommend that you run http://www.memtest.org to make sure you do not have any memory related issues. Let us know your results!

Archived