Corsair Community

DFI nF4 m/b with 4 channels of RAM

pm72

Hi, I have another pc which is a DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra SLI-D m/b. I was planning on putting 4GB of DDR1 RAM in it (4x 1GB sticks).

I wanted to know if this would give me the same MCH overload problems when you use 4 sticks?

I don't want to underclock this RAM so what DRAM do I need to get?

(m/b is also not overclocked and won't be for a while).

Hi, I have another pc which is a DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra SLI-D m/b. I was planning on putting 4GB of DDR1 RAM in it (4x 1GB sticks).

I wanted to know if this would give me the same MCH overload problems when you use 4 sticks?

I don't want to underclock this RAM so what DRAM do I need to get?

(m/b is also not overclocked and won't be for a while).

If you do not wish to drop the bandwidth, then there is no advice I can give you. It is likely you will have issues, possibly right away, possibly in the long term. I would drop the DRAM speed and raise the chipset voltage control +.2v and the CPU voltage (memory controller is on CPU with AMD) +.1v as well. You will also need to drop the DRAM command rate to 2T when you populate with all four DRAM slots.

Otherwise, good luck, you might luck out and run at full bore and not have either short term or long term issues. There are those who do not, but they are not in the majority.

I was thinking about the problem, and do you think it's an issue with only SLI based systems? I would've thought having SLI puts too much more strain on bandwidth hence the memory issues.

I know people without SLI running very similar motherboards to my system(s) and having all four banks populated without any problems - there BIOS' have settings all at AUTO, and their FSB:RAM ratios are weird combinations.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

Then make your own choices with your own DRAM. I am just giving you information regarding the possible issues with the hardware limitations. Just because some may do something, does not mean you will. You also will not read on those forum from the people who damage their mainboard, CPU or DRAM as they come here and we deal with them. They go to the Motherboard manufacturer and RMA and they go to the CPU manufacturer (AMD) and RMA.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

Archived