Corsair Community

Compatability issues with P5N32E SLI Plus mobo and TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

DarkSideofOZ

I had 2GB of XMS2 800 ram in this system for a while until recently when it started messing up, so I went and bought TWIN2X2048-8500C5D.

Every thing was running fine... until I noticed on boot today that the ram was clocked @ 800... HUH?! I thought. So I go in the BIOS and see it was set on auto and 800 is default while my cpu FSB was running 1066. So I enable 1:1 ratio link and set mem @ 1066 to match the CPU FSB. I reboot, notice it loads a tad quicker now... great I think.. I boot XP start up firefox start browsing... and bam BSOD (irq_not_less_or_equal : NV4_mini.sys) I immediately recognize this as an Nvidia driver so I reboot and open up firefox to check on the error and how to fix it... BAM BSOD again (BAD_POOL_HEADER : no driver listed) ook I thought, lets try this again... reboot, start up XP log in... get to desktop BAM BSOD (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA : no driver listed) .... sigh... so I reboot set mem back to 800.. now it's stable again....

So did I get a bad set or is there a compatibility issue with this mobo. Also I checked the compatibility chart here on the website and it said it should work, then I noticed over to the right that it listed the ram as 2.2v rather than the 2.1 it says on the ram itself, could this be the issue?

Well I just attempted 1066 again and uped the voltage to 2.2... BAD idea, twice it told me "window cannot boot because C:\windows\system32\system\system is missing or corrupt... oook, so I go in the bios get ready to switch back to 800mhz and the BIOS crashes... lol wow. so I reboot go back into bios and try to change settings back to 800 and 2.1v as quick as possible... done.. reboot... walla system is stable again and windows boots right up...

but alas... I have 1066 dominator ram @ 5-5-5-15 clocked down to 800 and I can't use it at it's intended speed.

:(

Different version have different voltage and timing requirements even if the speed is the same. You are transitioning from one set of DRAM to another and you may have BIOS stack corruption issues.

Download memtest from http://www.memtest.org and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Perform a hard reset of your system.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord
  10. Restart the system
  11. Enter the BIOS
  12. Load Default Settings
  13. Save Default Settings and Exit

Insert a single stick of DRAM in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) Shut your system down. Restart and enter your BIOS. Set to these values:

AI Tuning = Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex = Disabled
LinkBoost = Disabled

Extreme Tweaker Screen

FSB & Memory Config[/b][indent]FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 333 (1333)
MEM (DDR), MHz = 333 (667)

CPU Configuration

CPU Multi = 9
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled 
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Enhance Intel Speedstep Tech = Disabled

Chipset

Memory Timing Setting
tCL = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
Command Per Clock = 2 clocks

Advanced Memory Settings
tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 60  
Async Latency = Auto

Voltages
Vcore  = Auto
Vdimm (DRAM Voltage)  = 2.1v
1.2v HT = 1.2v
NB Vcore = 1.40v
SB Vcore = 1.55v
CPU VTT = 1.35v

Shut the system down. Insert the second stick of DRAM in Slot 3. Restart the system and boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

FSB & Memory Config[/b]
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked

FSB (QDR), MHz = 333 (1333)

MEM (DDR), MHz = 333 (667)

don't you mean:

FSB & Memory Config
[/b]
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Linked

FSB (QDR), MHz = (1066)

MEM (DDR), MHz = (1066)

? it's an e6600 and dominator 1066 ram.

1st failed with 184 errors and the second with 24 (this was @ 800Mhz not 1066.. infact 1066 won't even boot). I took them back to Microcenter and did an exchange for a new set, they don't fail @ 800 but If I try to do 1066 the system refuses to boot, and locks up in the bios over and over. I touched the south and north bridge after attempting this and you could fry an egg on them. Though the memory is barely luke warm. I think my mobo just won't run this dominator ram @ 1066 - 5-5-5-15-2T :(

1st failed with 184 errors and the second with 24 (this was @ 800Mhz not 1066.. infact 1066 won't even boot). I took them back to Microcenter and did an exchange for a new set, they don't fail @ 800 but If I try to do 1066 the system refuses to boot, and locks up in the bios over and over. I touched the south and north bridge after attempting this and you could fry an egg on them. Though the memory is barely luke warm. I think my mobo just won't run this dominator ram @ 1066 - 5-5-5-15-2T :(

Typically you need a bit of extra memory controller voltage (SPP voltage on Nvidia) to run at 1066. Try 1.4v to 1.45v if you want to try for 1066. Just make sure your case has good airflow.

Typically you need a bit of extra memory controller voltage (SPP voltage on Nvidia) to run at 1066. Try 1.4v to 1.45v if you want to try for 1066. Just make sure your case has good airflow.

Normally I wouldn't fret about such things as you suggest except that I have THIS motherboard (P5N32-E SLI Plus where the Northbridge: NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI (C55-SLIX8N-A2) and the Southbridge: NVIDIA MCP55P (NF590-SLI-N-A2)) , and as you can see from the picture it uses "silent cooling" by use of heat pipes and it's already hot enough to cook on, I'd be afraid it would fry the chip. :(

I gave you beginning settings that should clear up any issue with BIOS stack corruption that can occur when transitioning from one set of modules of one speed to another set of modules to another speed, especially with Nvidia chipsets.

Yes, 1066FSB and 667Mhz on the DRAM. Gain boot and enter BIOS and set to 800Mhz. Gain boot and enter BIOS and set to 1066Mhz and Memtest.

With Nvidia, this step up procedure can work with a recalcitrant mainboard. Issuing memtest errors on both sticks of DRAM is almost always indicative of issues external to the DRAM.

btw, all Nvidia chipsets are hot. The minor raise of voltages given will not harm the system. Stock NB Vcore default voltage on JEDEC DRAM (800Mhz 5-5-5-18) is 1.35v. The increase given is +.05. Stock SB Vcore voltage is 1.52v so the increase is +.03v.

I gave you beginning settings that should clear up any issue with BIOS stack corruption that can occur when transitioning from one set of modules of one speed to another set of modules to another speed, especially with Nvidia chipsets.

Yes, 1066FSB and 667Mhz on the DRAM. Gain boot and enter BIOS and set to 800Mhz. Gain boot and enter BIOS and set to 1066Mhz and Memtest.

With Nvidia, this step up procedure can work with a recalcitrant mainboard. Issuing memtest errors on both sticks of DRAM is almost always indicative of issues external to the DRAM.

btw, all Nvidia chipsets are hot. The minor raise of voltages given will not harm the system. Stock NB Vcore default voltage on JEDEC DRAM (800Mhz 5-5-5-18) is 1.35v. The increase given is +.05. Stock SB Vcore voltage is 1.52v so the increase is +.03v.

What is "Gain boot?"

Archived