Corsair Community

Gigabyte 965P-S3 (F14A) CM2X1024-6400C4 issue

wdilmore

I have been using 2 Gig in my PC for a couple of years, CM2X1024-6400C4 Year 6 Week 23 without any issues. Decided to upgrade and ordered the exact same part number, but PC will not POST will all modules installed (swapping memory slots doesn't make a difference). I noticed that the 4-4-4-12 timing wasn't recognized on the new memory and manually set it, but still doesn't post with more than 2 Gig installed. Am I overlooking something?

Those settings are for 8 gig - could you list as you did above how to get my four gig kit to hit 1066?

When you populate all four DRAM slots it is advised to drop the bandwidth.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller.

Archived