Corsair Community

Corsair TX750 unable to power 9800GTX+?

Paneka

Hi ........ I have an Asus P5Q Pro powered by a Corsair TX750 power supply. The graphics card is an XFX 9800 GTX+ that draws 24amps and uses two 6 pin plugs. I've been having problems booting my unit with the TX750. The yellow light stays on the monitor like it's not getting a video signal. I am able to boot every 1 out of 5 times if I play with the plug and switch but have random video crashes. XFX support pointed me to the power supply after I RMA'd the first card that was DOA and reported problems with the second graphics card, which I have been advised is a tested card. I found that my problem lies with the power supply. I ended up purchasing a 1000w PSU as a replacement to troubleshoot. I am able to boot and run stable with the new 1000 watt unit but not with the TX750. Is it too weak to power my card or is it just a defective unit needing replacement?

Hi Ram Guy.......Thank you for responding. I've been experiencing random video crashes, usually when I mouse over an icon in the system tray or click on a program. It seems that when there is load on the system it locks up. Sometimes when I restart I am not able to boot. The boot problem is mostly on cold starts, it won't boot unless I pull out the power plug and play with the switch. I have experienced the dreaded BSOD only once while the system was booting. The longest I have run using the TX750 was 20 minutes without locking up. Thanks for your help!

• Corsair Employees

Normally a failing PSU would give you consistent issues, however the issues you are having seem random. Nvidia lists your 9800GTX as having a "Maximum Graphics Card Power" of 140 watts, so I would be hesitant to believe that our TX750 could not power your system, unless there was something seriously wrong with the PSU, in which case I would suspect the PSU would not even power up to begin with.

If you run out of options we can definitely try replacing the PSU for you, but I can not guarantee you would see any change. You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived