Corsair Community

Twinx 2048re-3200

I installed this memory on a Tyan S2875 motherboard updated the bios and chipset drivers, the memory is running hot! Almost to hot to touch! No overclock (200mhz memory bus), have (2) Opteron 248's and system performance is slow. sisoft sandra memory score is only 4100 / 4000. Whats happening? Mike

Actually, one of the best bandwidth's I've seen is 4600 MB/s on Sandra, and 3100 MB/s on Cacheman (because of buffering). You might check out Aida32 (search on Google, you'll find it) for a more realistic test and comparison! However, you can look in BIOS to find out if you're running the correct timings for that memory. Look for: [i]Should be...[/i] CAS - [i]3[/i] RAS to CAS Delay - [i]3[/i] RAS Precharge - [i]3[/i] Cycle Time (tRAS) - [i]8[/i] DDR Voltage - [i]2.7x[/i] If your DDR voltage is too high, you'll create a lot of heat! However, because of the high density of your modules, the fact that they're Registered ECC modules, etc, means they will indeed get hot when running. I wouldn't worry too much as my own dual-channel DDR400 modules get hot to the touch too. If it bothers you that much, think about getting another case fan, etc. As for your score of 4100, that's probably because you're running CAS 3 memory. The 4600 score was CAS 2-3-2-6 memory and those differences in timings, even though they're all at DDR400 can easily account for a 500Mb/s difference in bandwidth ([i]and because of the motherboard, some are faster than others[/i]). Bottom Line: Seems normal to me. PLUR CK

Archived