Corsair Community

Can I use ddr3 modules from a few months ago with a core i7 system?

Cooper

I have a 2x2Gb pack of Dominator 1800Mhz Ddr3, I was wondering if I can use them on a new core i7 compatible mobo (asus p6t deluxe) buying a third identical module, or am I forced to go with the newer Ddr3 3x2Gb packs, due to the 1.65V limit?

I have a 2x2Gb pack of Dominator 1800Mhz Ddr3, I was wondering if I can use them on a new core i7 compatible mobo (asus p6t deluxe) buying a third identical module, or am I forced to go with the newer Ddr3 3x2Gb packs, due to the 1.65V limit?

As long as you set the voltage to .5v lower than the value of the Northbridge you will be fine. Intel states that 1.65V on the DRAM voltage should be the absolute limit before you reach for the maximal danger threshold. That's not exactly the issue although what they say is correct and will serve to help the uneducated with not damaging their systems. What is necessary to understand and follow is this:

"Keep the CPU Uncore (Memory Controller) voltage within 0.5V difference of the DRAM voltage and you will not find an issue."

If you step over this potential difference, you will increase the chance of CPU death, not immediately but in time and the greater the differential between the increase of DRAM voltage greater than .05v from the uncore.

Research:

http://i4memory.com/wp/article/327

As long as you set the voltage to .5v lower than the value of the Northbridge you will be fine. Intel states that 1.65V on the DRAM voltage should be the absolute limit before you reach for the maximal danger threshold. That's not exactly the issue although what they say is correct and will serve to help the uneducated with not damaging their systems. What is necessary to understand and follow is this:

"Keep the CPU Uncore (Memory Controller) voltage within 0.5V difference of the DRAM voltage and you will not find an issue."

If you step over this potential difference, you will increase the chance of CPU death, not immediately but in time and the greater the differential between the increase of DRAM voltage greater than .05v from the uncore.

Research:

Thanks a lot, very interesting info!

Please don't bump a thread within a 24 hour period. You need to give Corsair time to get into the office and read posts.

Sorry, I'm from a different time zone so I didn't think about that. I'll remember for next time.

I tested 3 x 1800C7 1GB modules on 2 i7 MOBOs, Intel X58 SO and ASUS P6T Deluxe. They ran 1600C8 just fine at 1.65v. I did not test higher than that but I am certain they will do well above 1600 also. Of course, we cannot guarantee it as it is not a part tested for i7 but I think you'll be just fine.

I tested 3 x 1800C7 1GB modules on 2 i7 MOBOs, Intel X58 SO and ASUS P6T Deluxe. They ran 1600C8 just fine at 1.65v. I did not test higher than that but I am certain they will do well above 1600 also. Of course, we cannot guarantee it as it is not a part tested for i7 but I think you'll be just fine.

Cooper, could you please provide the specs of the ram you would use on P6T deluxe? part number, cas, voltage? Better help maybe

It's a 4gb kit, TW3X4G1800C8DF, which I'm using on a x48 asus mobo. So it's cas8, voltage around 1.8v on this rig I'm currently using.

The actual problem I've found though, is this modules don't exist as a single 2Gb module. They're only available in 2x2Gb kits. So I would be forced to buy a new kit with a 2Gb module to spare, and it would cost me about as much as a 2x3Gb 1600Mhz kit. So I guess I'll have to resort to that after all...

As far as voltage, the problem is that u should fit intel spec so 1.65, so forget 1.7/1.8/1.9...

If you think that that memories are a real value for your system (as i think as i have the same!) u can still use them but... with a compromise... downgrade at 1600MHz that sticks could fit.

I had the same problem on my MoBo P5E3 WiFi Deluxe using

2x TWIN3X2048-1800C7DF,

i had to downgrade them at 1600MHz as this MoBo doesn't support 4sticks, but no problem, they run at 1.5V and... i can run then up till 1700MHz.

Having higher memories used downgraded should guarantee lower voltage indeed! so no stress at all. And u have to "fine tune them" in order to run them at the best.

As far as using another kit of them to fullfill triplechannel, well, this is up to you...

For instance, I'm seeing the manual of P6T deluxe,

it says that also 4 sockets could be used so u should try that way:

DIMM A1 Populated

DIMM B1 Populated

DIMM C1 Populated

and then:

DIMM A2 Populated

I think u can try and, in case, u should have no proplem in placing another stick to someone as u should not be the only one to have this problem.

I think several people here have the same problem

Research:

I found this little article that states that the voltage limit is not correct.

Check it out here ... http://www.dvhardware.net/article30659.html

Archived