Corsair Community

Installed 3 GB, System says 2.5 GB

Reepicheep

I installed 2 Corsair Twinx 1 GB modules + 1 Corsair ValueSelect 1 GB module, for a total of 3 GB. All three modules are 400 MHz. My system BIOS recognizes only 2560 MB, Windows calls it 2.5 GB. Why doesn't the system recognize 3 GB? My mboard (Asus K8V Deluxe) supports up to 3 GB.

I installed 2 Corsair Twinx 1 GB modules + 1 Corsair ValueSelect 1 GB module, for a total of 3 GB. All three modules are 400 MHz. My system BIOS recognizes only 2560 MB, Windows calls it 2.5 GB. Why doesn't the system recognize 3 GB? My mboard (Asus K8V Deluxe) supports up to 3 GB.

It is not recommended to mix different memory modules, especially on an AMD processor-based system with an on-CPU-die memory controller. And it is possible that some of the newer production Value Select 1GB modules could have been single-sided (your existing TWINX/XMS modules are double-sided). And most steppings of the Socket 754 AMD processors have a memory controller which was designed long before the advent of IC chips with 1Gbit density. As such, the Socket 754 memory controller recognizes only half of the capacity of some newer 1GB modules.

Also, due to the limitation of the VIA K8T800-series chipsets (and also due to the official JEDEC speed/capacity limits for systems with multiple memory modules), you will not be able to run all three memory modules at any speed other than the molasses-slow DDR200 (100MHz) speed. In fact, you can use only one single module (leaving the other two slots empty) if you want the full DDR400 speed (this limits the maximum memory capacity at the full DDR400 speed to 1GB total maximum). Using even two modules would force you to drop your memory speed down to DDR333 speed.

Archived