Corsair Community

What is Timing/Latency?

Cold Fusion

I often see this: 3-3-3-8 or other combinations and I don't understand what it means, I'm going to be building a computer this summer and I want to make sure I get it right... But it's going to be pretty hard to do it if I don't understand everything about memory, so can someone please help me out here. What does Timing/Latency mean? ---EDIT--- Also, I have already bought my MB, it's an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, I wanted to populate all 4 slot with 1GB stick of PC3200, but now I'm all confused and don't know if it's even possible or worth it... should I get 4X512mb PC4000? HELP THE NOOB! Thank you.

As I said in your other post, [url=http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=24550]here[/url], latencies are how many clock cycles the memory has to complete certain phases in the memory access procedure. 3-3-3-8 means: CAS - 3 RAS to CAS Delay - 3 RAS Precharge - 3 Cycle Time (tRAS) - 8 If you don't want to overclock, buy PC3200 memory since it runs with faster timings. If you want to overclock get PC3700, 4000, 4400, etc. As for 4Gb of memory, you have to run certain OS's to use it. Windows XP will only cache 2Gb of RAM for program use and the other 2Gb will go to waste. I would reccommend a TwinX1024- set, rather than 4 modules of anything. PLUR CK

• Corsair Employees
I would have to agree with CK! In addition if you want to run with 2.0 Gig of memory I would suggest Twinx2048-3200. For more detailed information about specific settings. You can do a search with [url]www.google.com[/url] or [url]www.rojakpot.com[/url] and get a better description of each setting! ;):

Archived