Corsair Community

HX1000W problem, but voltages aren't the issue?

lndnny

Hello, I was wondering if a power supply could give the correct amount of voltage, but not supply the amperage behind the volts? I've been working on an SLI gaming rig for about a month now, replacing components, RMA-ing video cards and a motherboard, but still have similar problems to when I first started. I get artifacts sometimes when I start into windows, most times when I try to run 3dmarks, and ocassionally when trying to run a game, it bluescreens. I've tested voltages with a multimeter, and they seem just fine 12.18 on 12+ and the others are reasonable. So with that, I thought the power supply was fine. After running through two motherboards and four video cards, and having a perfect memtest overnight, the only other things are the CPU and the PSU.

So, is it possible that there just not be enough amps behind the volts? If so, is there a way I can test this?

Thanks for reading,

Danny

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the make and model of the video cards you are using? Also, which driver revision do you have? I would initially suspect a driver issue from what you describe, although its possible the PSU could have something to do with it. Have you tried multiple drivers or have you updated the drivers without first using a driver cleaner to make sure all the old drivers were removed?

Ok, yeah video cards are two EVGA GTX 260's. I've used drivers 180.43 and the 178.24 two drivers that have good reps with the 260's. Yes, I have uninstalled, booted into safemode, used driver sweeper, etc. I know it does sound like a driver issue, but with a fresh windows install? I'm going to try the new 180.48 and see if that does anything.

Thanks,

Danny

p.s. aren't my video cards under the little pc specs box under my username?

• Corsair Employee
p.s. aren't my video cards under the little pc specs box under my username?

My mistake, I missed it!

Have you tested with a single video card to see if you still have the same issue? If you have not contacted your video card manufacturer I would suggest getting their input on the situation. If they think that there is even the slightest chance that the PSU could be causing the issues, then we can certainly try replacing the unit for you.

I honestly would not suspect the PSU, especially since you have tested the rails with a mulimeter. If you look at the image below you will see which cables supply power from the 12v1 rail and which ones are getting power from 12v2. You might do an experiment and test a single video card powering it off of the 12v1 rail. The 12v1 rail powers your motherboard, CPU, and 2x PCIE ports. If you have the same problem with a single video card running on 12v1 then maybe there is an issue with the PSU. You can also try a single card on 12v2 to make sure that 12v2 is not causing any problems. If both cards work individually on each 12v rail, then I would not suspect the PSU to be failing.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3676&stc=1&d=1213300906

To have the unit replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Ok, I just found out that the first video card I had RMA'ed was in perfect working condition. With that, and a perfect memtest run, tech support at EVGA told me that the only other things would be the CPU or the powersupply. I ran intelburntest for a few hours and it gave me no errors, so... I guess it's the power supply :(:. I've tried this thing with different combinations of one or two video cards and rails one or two, but everything is giving me the same problems. So, I guess I'll try a RMA and see what happens. If this fails, I won't know what to do....

Danny

Archived