Corsair Community

CM2X1024 6400C5DHX only working with one ram on P5Q

chrisaix

this is a new build, i cant seem to make the 2 sticks of ram work on my asus P5Q, i have already updated my bios the latest version, i ran memtest and 1 stick is ok and the other would not even boot, it will only work with single ram but both it would just freeze in the windows logo.i tried each ram on every slot on my motherboard and the other would not boot. do you think my ram has a problem and have it replaced where i bought it? i hope for your help.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

hi ramguy,

just a follow up question, im planning to add a pair of 8500c5d someday which will make my ram to 4 sticks, im just wondering if it would work on my mobo P5Q? and im planning to OC my q6600 GO to atleat 3-3.2ghz, or what do you think is the sweet spot for it? i have a coolermaster V8 for my heatsink.

thanks in advance.:biggrin:

hi ramguy,

just a follow up question, im planning to add a pair of 8500c5d someday which will make my ram to 4 sticks, im just wondering if it would work on my mobo P5Q? and im planning to OC my q6600 GO to atleat 3-3.2ghz, or what do you think is the sweet spot for it? i have a coolermaster V8 for my heatsink.

thanks in advance.:biggrin:

This board has not seen great successes with an 8GB population. The DRAM is fine and keep in mind that DRAM is passive, it can not effect a four or eight GB population. If the sticks pass in single testing, then they are proof of the DRAM's working. If they pass in two slot 1 & 3/2 & 4, then that is proof of the motherboard memory controller's stability in Dual Channel Mode. If they do not work in 2 X Dual Channel Mode, then that is an issue of the motherboard memory controller and must, as such, be dealt with at the motherboard level.

Google P5Q 8GB Problems and you will see what I mean.

I would advise you to sell the 2 X 1024 and transition to a 2 X 2048 configuration. You are advised to drop the bandwidth one bin.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

Wow, I just built my new rig last night with 2x2GB PC6400C4DHX and a P5Q Pro and have the same problem. Only one module will allow my system to boot.

Is it necessarily a bad module? Is there anything I can try? I placed them in several different configs and none of them worked with both modules installed.

Wow, I just built my new rig last night with 2x2GB PC6400C4DHX and a P5Q Pro and have the same problem. Only one module will allow my system to boot.

Is it necessarily a bad module? Is there anything I can try? I placed them in several different configs and none of them worked with both modules installed.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Set one stick in slot 1 (Closest to the CPU), enter BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

[b]Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 9
FSB Frequency = 333
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-800
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  4
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
RAS# PRE Time = 4
RAS# ACT Time = 12
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60 
All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Read Training = Disabled
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Disabled
Relax Level = 9
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.1v
NB Voltage = 1.40
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Volage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled

Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut down, remove the stick and insert it in the third slot. Retest. Shut the system down insert a stick in first and third slot. Retest.

Results?

Archived