Corsair Community

memory compatible with X58 MB

comrade

I just ordered an Intel I7 940 CPU and an EVGA X58 motherboard for it.

I have 4 1-gig sticks of Corsair CM3X1024-1333C9DHX memory that I've been using in an EVGA 790i Ultra motherboard.

I thought I could use three sticks of this memory in the X58 board. However, I've heard that this memory won't work because it was designed only for dual channel use.

I thought that since you can run one stick of this in almost any MB designed for DDR3, that it would work in the X58 board. Do I have to buy new memory now for the X58?

Has anyone tried using this memory in an X58 board?

Thanks for any help offered.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

http://www.corsair.com/corei7/default.aspx

That memory is TESTED and WARRANTIED in a 3 stick config, whereas their 2 stick packs are tested as a pair. If you're running 4 sticks together w/ no problems, chances are that 3 of them will work fine together, but since no one has tested them like that, no one can guarantee it.

In otherwords, try 3 sticks, see what happens. As long as you don't over volt anything, it can't hurt to try.

Archived