Corsair Community

voltage settings for the new core i7 CPU's

itzjonjon69

ramguy or derek, as u know before i had the Asus Rampage Extreme and Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650. I just returned both of them and ordered the new Rampage 2 Extreme and Intel Core i7-965 3.2GHz (extreme version) and i was reading a review on the forums and someone said that if the memory voltage is set above 1.6V it could damage the CPU or something?

ramguy or derek, as u know before i had the Asus Rampage Extreme and Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650. I just returned both of them and ordered the new Rampage 2 Extreme and Intel Core i7-965 3.2GHz (extreme version) and i was reading a review on the forums and someone said that if the memory voltage is set above 1.6V it could damage the CPU or something?

Intel states that 1.65V on the DRAM voltage should be the absolute limit before you reach for the maximal danger threshold. That's not exactly the issue although what they say is correct and will serve to help the uneducated with not damaging their systems. What is necessary to understand and follow is this: "Keep the CPU Uncore (Memory Controller) voltage within 0.5V difference of the DRAM voltage and you will not find an issue. If you step over this potential difference, you will increase the chance of CPU death, not immediately but in time and the greater the differential between the increase of DRAM voltage greater than .05v from the uncore.

hey guys my computer has been running pretty great for the past couple of days, but today i started experiencing random hangs, ill be listening to music or something and the computer monitor will just go to black and the music will still be playing for like the next 5-6 sec then it'll keep repeating over and over and then the comp will finally restart :confused: i'm just waiting for someone to post correct memory timings for the Rampage 2 Extreme or release bios update for the motherboard

comp still crashes about every 2-3 hours :confused: , i checked the asus website and i downloaded the memory QVL pdf file and it said to run the memory at 1066 MHz with a 7-7-7-20 timings and at 1.7V but i'm not quite sure if thats safe for my CPU. Can anyone confirm if it's safe or not.

(heres the file: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/mb/LGA1366/RampageII_Extreme/Rampage_II_Extreme-QVL.zip)

I would think that this is a BIOS issue and will be fixed in newer BIOS revisions. I have seen this issue before and new BIOS revisions will fix it. Considering ASUS has the greatest amount of BIOS design engineers, and the price of that board, it will not be long. Be sure to use a Flash USB or CD-ROM and ASUS's EZ-Flash method as it is the most secure method in which to flash the BIOS.

• 2 weeks later...
ughhh everything was running smoothly for so long until today... started getting random restarts and now whenever the computer boots up it takes about 3-7 minutes until it'll reboot on its own again. It's strange ill be listening to music and the computer will restart and ill still be able to hear the music for about 2-3 more secs and then it'll hang. I don't know why i'm having so many probs with this computer! can you guys tell me what exactly am i supposed to have set in the bios! ive tried everything and it still crashes. I hope an upcoming bios to the R2E will fix this issuee :confused:

Archived