Corsair Community

Question

bluf98

Well I tried these advised settings with the latest MB Bios 1104 unsuccesfully. :confused:

With the FSB manually set to 400, the 1600Mhz setting selected for RAM & the RAM voltage changed to 1,8V the system normally gets through system post but always halts/freezes with these settings during Vista startup.

This happens both on AUTO settings where the Bios selects the correct DDR3 values based on SPD (9-9-9-24) or manually setting the same values.

Through trail & error incrementally increasing the RAM voltage to <=2,2V will get it through to Vista desktop, but remains unstable running multiple simple apps (the higher the Voltage the better stability).

For the record, since both RAM pairs were supposed to be "100% factory tested at 1600Mhz/1,8V/9-9-9-24", upping the voltage beyond the default voltage at precisely this setting shouldn't be necessary. :(:

Strangely enough settings like FSB333/RAM1333(1/2; 1,5V), FSB400/RAM1066(3/4; 1,8V), FSB410/RAM1093(O'C; 3/4; 1,8V) the system is rock solid in Vista64 under 3DMark06, 2hr+ MEM Stress-testing & 3D gaming.

I simply want to get the default ratio setting CPU3400/FSB400/RAM1600Mhz or a higher equivalent to work as stable like my current CPU3485/FSB410/RAM1093Mhz setting...

Is there anything I'm doing wrong here or could try differently?

Do NOT set your DRAM higher than 2.0v and 1.80v should be enough for that DRAM. You forgo warranty when you set higher than 2.0v.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Insert your DRAM in the White Slots, restart, enter BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

Extreme Tweaker 

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual 

CPU Multiplier = 8.5
FSB = 400
FSB Strap to NB = 400
PCIE = 110 For Stability Testing

DRAM = DDR3-1333
Command Rate = 2T
Primary Timings =  9 - 9 - 9 - 24
Secondary = 5 - 66 - 9 - 6
Set other Advanced Timings to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled
AI Clock Twister  = Auto
AI Skew for Channel A = Auto
AI Skew for Channel B = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Auto

Voltages

CPU = Auto
CPU PLL = 1.55v
NB = 1.55v
DRAM = 1.8v
FSB Termination = 1.54v
SB = Auto
SB 1.5  = Auto
Loadline Calibration  = Disabled
CPU GTL REF = 0.63x
NB GTL REF = 0.67x
DDR3 Channel A REF = Auto
DDR3 Channel B REF = Auto
DDR3 Controller = REF DDR3 REF

CPU spread spectrum = Disabled
PCIE spread spectrum = Disabled

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM into the second slot (closest to the CPU). Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If you pass, then shut the system down and insert the same stick in the fourth slot. Retest.

Results?

Thx Derek! I'll try...

These settings were available & set by me:

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual OK

CPU Multiplier = 8.5 OK

FSB = 400 OK

FSB Strap to NB = 400 OK

PCIE = 110 For Stability Testing OK, but why? PCI seems fine, why not leave it on default 100?

DRAM = DDR3-1333 Set to our DDR3-1600 goal value instead, since 1333 is NOT available when FSB Strap is set to 400, only avail. when set to 200;

Command Rate = 2T OK

Primary Timings = 9 - 9 - 9 - 24 OK, manually set since 'Primary Info' by SPD states: 7-7-7-20-4-60-8-4

Secondary = 5 - 66 - 9 - 6 Are you sure? Since 66 was NOT available as (Primary) Row Refresh Cycle Time [<=60 or >=72] or as (Secondary) Write To Read Delay (S)[<=15] , therefore I manually set it to: 8-4-6-4-7-4-7 based on SPD's indicated 'Secondary Info'

Set other Advanced Timings to Auto OK

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled OK

DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled OK

AI Clock Twister = Auto OK

AI Skew for Channel A = Auto OK

AI Skew for Channel B = Auto OK

AI Transaction Booster = Auto OK

Voltages

CPU = Auto OK, I'll try but my CPU seems stable at >=1,25V when on 8,5*FSB400?!?!

CPU PLL = 1.55v Set to 1,56V, since 1,55 is NOT available

NB = 1.55v OK?, value becomes yellow instead of green

DRAM = 1.8v OK

FSB Termination = 1.54v OK?, value becomes yellow instead of green

SB = Auto OK, for 'SB Voltage' setting

Loadline Calibration = Disabled OK

CPU GTL REF = 0.63x OK

NB GTL REF = 0.67x OK

DDR3 Channel A REF = Auto OK

DDR3 Channel B REF = Auto OK

DDR3 Controller = REF DDR3 REF OK, but value turns magenta

SB 1.5 = Auto OK, for 'SB 1.5V Voltage' setting

CPU spread spectrum = Disabled OK

PCIE spread spectrum = Disabled[/code] OK

Hopefully this setting cocktail works. I'll first try these settings with all RAM banks filled as system is currently configured.

Many thx again for your support, I'll keep you posted...

Derek,

After restart when your bios settings were saved system won't even get to POST screen. Screen simply stays black.

After shutdown and wait for 10sec. I tried to restart succesfully, but restart values went back to default (CPU2,83Ghz/RAM1066Mhz) with following message: "Overclock failed! Please enter Setup to reconfigure sys"...

#2nd try: Also with my tried & tested CPU Voltage on 1,25V your settings also don't get sys to POST.

#3rd try: only downgrading RAM to DDR3-1066 won't change anything: sys will not POST

FYI the LCD POSTER keeps displaying/ hanging on "DET DRAM"...

#4th try: Keeping settings from previous tests but only changing

DRAM Timing Control to AUTO makes the system startup normally again!

Also with or without also changing:

CPU Ratio Setting: AUTO

DRAM Command Rate: AUTO

FYI advanced settings @ C1E Support: Disabled, CPU TM Func: Enabled, Vanderpool Tech: Enabled, Execute Disable Bit: Enabled, Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled & Intel Speedstep: Enabled

My issue therefore DRAM Timing related?

Or could it be the memorycontroller in the NB of the Maximus not able to properly manage/address my 8GB via a 2GB * 4 bank setup? I believe I read this somewhere on this forum.

Could a 4GB * 2 bank setup fix this 1600Mhz compatibility issue?

#5th try: keeping settings from all previous tests, but only upgrading RAM to DDR3-1600 WILL get it normally through Sys POST but then sys freezes during Vista startup...

You are running with 4 DRAM slots filled. I missed your "Both RAM PAIRS" or would not have advised a 1600Mhz DRAM speed. It is advised to lower the bandwidth when you populate with four DRAM slots. The voltages and PCI-e speeds I gave you were for testing purposes. To try and gain boot. Clearly you will have to drop the bandwidth.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller.

So, set to 333FSB and 1333Mhz on the DRAM.

Extreme Tweaker 

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual 

CPU Multiplier = 8.5
FSB = 333
FSB Strap to NB = 333
PCIE = 100 
DRAM = DDR3-1333
Command Rate = 2T
Primary Timings =  7 - 7 - 7 - 20
Secondary = X- XX - X - X
Set other Advanced Timings to SPD Values

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled
AI Clock Twister  = Auto
AI Skew for Channel A = Auto
AI Skew for Channel B = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Auto

Voltages

CPU = Auto
CPU PLL = Auto
NB = Auto
DRAM = 1.6v
FSB Termination = Auto
SB = Auto
SB 1.5  = Auto
Loadline Calibration  = Disabled
CPU GTL REF = Auto
NB GTL REF = Auto
DDR3 Channel A REF = Auto
DDR3 Channel B REF = Auto
DDR3 Controller = Auto

CPU spread spectrum = Auto
PCIE spread spectrum = Auto

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM into the second slot (closest to the CPU). Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If you pass, then shut the system down and insert the same stick in the fourth slot. Retest.

Results?

Many thanks for your advise & info!

Last wrapup to verify my proper understanding:

Since a 2*4GB(8GB) Corsair kit doesn't excist AND is not supported in only 2 slots of the Maximus, my options are:

#1 - stick with all slots filled (4*2GB), but lower bandwith to either FSB333/DDR3-1333(1:2) or any higher FSB400+/DDR3-1066+(3:4). The latter setting if I still want to push the CPU beyond the default 2,83Ghz.

#2- yank out one kit so ONLY 2 banks remain filled (2*2GB) and the "advertised" FSB400/DDR3-1600(1:2) setting should be feasable & stable.

Right? :roll:

"This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3."

Will this full RAMslot population vs. bandwith beyond 1333Mhz be solved with Intel's new X58 chipset?

It's not really an "issue" per se. It's simply an electrical limitation of the memory controller. Read AN806 for more info, especially the portion about Overclocking on page 2.

From the article:

A good analogy representing visualization of the above specifications is a passenger truck. Let‟s assume that the maximum hauling capacity of the truck is 8000 pounds representing 8GB of memory. The top speed of the truck is 106.6 mph representing a memory speed of DDR1066. However, this does not mean that the truck can haul 8000 pounds at 106.6mph. The physical limitations are similar for a memory controller as 8GB and 1066 are both tested maximums for this memory controller. When the memory controller speed is increased for overclocking, it simply cannot manage the same amount of memory at that overclocked speed for proper stable communication with the CPU.

Archived