Corsair Community

German review: HydroCool 200 EX with GPU & chipset coolers

x13y7

Hi there! As many here are excited and waiting for the new water cooling blocks for graphic cards and chipsets, I just wanted to let you know that my review of the HydroCool 200 EX and the additional water blocks has been published yesterday: [url]http://www.k-hardware.de/artikel.php?artikel_id=2779[/url] Unfortunately for most of you, the article is in German, but you still might want to enjoy the pics ;) I received my samples of the HydroCool and the additional coolers about two weeks ago; and they are the final versions. I can't give you a definite date when the water blocks will be available in stores, but it shouldn't last much longer. What I can tell you is are the prices: the water blocks will cost around 45€ each here in Germany. That might be higher than expected, but I also understand that manufacturing those micro channels is very complex; and the number of pieces Corsair/ Delphi produces is quite low... Many thanks again to Corsair for supplying me with those samples so early! Greetings from Germany, --x13y7

I'm not to sure I like the way the cooler fits on the 9800 Pro sitting at that funny angle like that. By the way the base is machined, I would think the block would sit square to the card so the machined part woulf fit inside the shim area on the 9800 Pro. And with the barbs on the corners it looks like you might have a problem fitting the tube on without it hitting the MoBo. Just seems a bit strange to me the way they fit the video card.

Yeah, it looks weird, but that's the way the blocks are ment to be positioned. The GPU cooler doesn't fit square on the FX5900 Ultra as well; I just didn't publish any pics of that installation. If you take a closer look to the chipset block (page 9), it's the same there. You might archieve an "alignment" there on other mainboards with the long bracket. But on the SK8N, the long bracket can't be mounted as it would collide with the BIOS battery; and also no graphic card would fit into the AGP slot any more. It's already really tight with the angeled setup; there's less than half a millimeter between the capacitor and the hose (pics are without the hose). But fortunatelly the cooler/ bracket are flat enough so that a graphic card can bypass above the cooler. No way a "traditionally sized" water block would fit there... To my knowledge, Corsair wanted to support as many graphic cards and mainboards as possible (which is logical as they want to sell many units :D: ). Their are other mounting hole setups on non-ATI or non-nVidia cards (or on other mainboards), so I think they accepted the angeled setup and can support a lot more boards now...

I just added two more pics: the new one on page 9 shows how close the graphic card gets to the chipset block. I had to use the metal clamps to secure the hose; the plastic ones are too thick :bigeyes: The new one on page 11 shows the FX 5900 installed and running. There's no problem fitting the hose on the barbs of the GPU block; the hose is always above the PCI sockets... no contact to the motherboard itself. It's a little tighter with the R9800 Pro, but also no big problems.

It looks like if you flip the mounting bracket upside down you could get the cold block to sit square on the card. It's sort of hard to see looking at the pics tho. I think you guys over in Europe are pretty lucky cause you get most of the new stuff before it comes out here in the US........even from US companies,,,,,, :confused:

Unfortunately, flipping the bracket doesn't change anything; I tried that. The thing ist that the slot between the two barbs is a diagonal to the square base face; the bracket and its mounting slots fit on the extension of that diagonal. It's the mounting holes on the graphic card that aren't placed on the extensions of one of the diagonals of the chip! So flipping the bracket just mirrors the ~ 15° angle to the other side of the diagonal. The mainboard block on the other hand can be aligned if the other components on the mainboard allow so. In the case of the SK8N, no graphic card would fit into the AGP slot any more (even if there wasn't that space problem with the BIOS battery). With the GPU block, it's even more complicated: flipping the bracket results in one barb facing directly towards the mainboard. Pluging that card into it's slot will most likely result in nice scratches on the mainboard and a damaged GPU die (broken edges) because of the leverage. Not to mention that there's no way of installing a hose to the barb... -> don't try this at home :p: I'm surprised as well that apparently I've done the first review worldwide of the new water blocks. Originally, I just wanted to test the HydroCool when the Prescott was launched. That CPU showed that air cooling nowadays reaches limits (and btw it's not the fault of the cooler manufacturers... :sigh!: ). Corsair then told me that they are working on the new water blocks so I decided to wait for them... It might be that low noise products sell better in Europe but in general, I think you guys in the US are more lucky when it comes to new products and technologies :sunglasse : Gaming consoles and other home entertainment stuff need 6 to 9 month to get to Europe; same goes for nearly all movies (except some (potential) blockbusters). And HDTV is something most Europeans haven't even heard of yet (not to mention that there are hardly any plans on introducing it...) :[pouts:

Archived