Corsair Community

MSI 7512 V1.0 MB and Pair of CM2X1024-8500C5D's

sylvester94

Hi,

I have been trying to get the above pair of memory modules to run at 1066 in dual channel mode with no luck on the stated motherboard.

I have the following configuration set in the bios:

Processor FSB 333Mhz

Ram Voltage 2.1v

5-5-5-15 set manualy

1:1.2 Bus ration 401Mhz (DDR800)

Spread Spectrum disabled

Slicks in DIMM1 and DIMM3 (Also tried DIMM2 & DIMM4 no difference)

Whith this config the memory is stable but as soon as I enable 1066 the systems refused to boot or falls over during or after POST.

I have tried both sticks individualy in single channel mode with Memtest86+ at both 800 and 1066, and while relatively stable I do get errors on both sticks over several runs. Same with both sticks at 1066 in single channel mode (DIMM1 & 2).

I also spoke to another forum user who had similar experiences with V5.1 of these modules but operates perfectly well with a pair of V4.1 modules. (I thought I read somehwere on the forum that the chip vendor changed with V5.1, could this be the cause).

Any further advice or insight would be welecome.

Regards

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Enter BIOS and load these values:

Advanced BIOS Features

Cell Menu

DOT Control = Disabled
Intel EIST = Disabled
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 333MHz (1333Mhz QDR)
Adjust CPU Ratio = 9.5

Advanced DRAM Configuration = Manual

Memory Clock = 1066

Memory Timings = Manual
DRAM CAS# Latency (tCL) = 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge (tRP) = 5
DRAM RAS# Active to Precharge (tRAS) = 15
DRAM tRFC = Auto
DRAM tWR: Auto
DRAM tWTR = Auto
DRAM tRRD = Auto
DRAM tRTP = Auto
1N/2N Memory Timing = 2N

FSB/Memory Ratio = 1:1.6
Adjust PCI-e Frequency = 100Mhz
Auto Disable DIMM/PCI Frequency = Enabled
CPU Voltage = Auto
Spread Spectrum = Enabled
Memory Voltage = 2.10v 
MCH Voltage: 1.4v
FSB VTT Voltage = Auto

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM into the second slot (closest to the CPU). Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If you pass, then shut the system down and insert the same stick in the fourth slot. Retest. If both sticks pass, then insert one in slot 2 and one in slot 4. Retest.

Results?

Hi thanks for the advice and settings

I could not find where to set a couple of the item such as:

1n/2n memory timing = 2n

Adjust PCI-e Frequency - 100Mhz, the options were auto, 37.x and 42, so I left this at deafult.

I tested as you described and was not able to post with either stick in any but the very first dimms slot.

With these settings and a stick in dimm1 physicaly closest to the cpu then both sticks pass 2 cycles of memtest without errors.

If I then add a second stick then I'm back to not being able to post.

Does this start to point towards either settings or a fault with the motherboard as both ram sticks appear to function perfectly well at 1066 individualy ?

Thanks again for your advice and assistance

Does this start to point towards either settings or a fault with the motherboard as both ram sticks appear to function perfectly well at 1066 individualy ?

Yes, you look to be correct. If the modules both function well in one slot, but not another, or not as a twin pair in 1 + 3 or 2 + 4, then I would look towards the motherboard memory controller being at issue.

thanks for the advice.

I was building another PC over the weekend and took the chance to do some fault finding with a different motherboard (Asus P5QPRO) and different memory in the MSI P45 Platinum, with very interesting results.

First Up the MSI P45 Platinum with a pair of TWIN2X4096-8500C5G running at 5-5-5-15 2.1V MCH @ 1.4 and on auto. Passed multiple runs of Memtest and seemed to be completely stable.

So I'm now less certain that there may be fault with the MB as opposed to a straight compatability problem.

Running the CM2X1024-8500C5D's in the P5Q PRO at 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v and all other settings on auto passed two or three rounds of memtest without fault. However as soon as I loaded Vista (64bit) the machine would freeze/Blue screen but be perfectly stable at DDR800 as in the MSI.

Any further ideas or suggestions ?

Freezing would normally suggest some other problem, but if the modules worked on one system and not another chances are it was just a setting that was over looked or maybe the BIOS was not up to date.

Hi Thanks for the feedback.

I dont beleive that the problem is related to the version of the bios as the behaviour has been consistent when using three different verios of the MSI 7512 bios with exactly the same settings, rgese being V1.0 V1.4 and now the V1.53 Beta.

I'm also not now convinced that the issue is related to different settings, as I have worked through many combinations over the last several weeks including all variations that have been suggested in this thread.

Also without changing the bios version or any of the configuration settings the TWIN2X4096-8500C5G running at 5-5-5-15 2.1V performed as expected straight away.

Not sure where that leaves the situation unless either.

There CM2X1024-8500C5D are failing under the increased stress of running at 1066 but that seems a little unlikley as each seems to perform perfectly well as a single stick or;

That all versions of the MSI Bios have a compatibility issue with the CM2X1024-8500C5D.

Definatley confused as to what the next steps may be.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Running the CM2X1024-8500C5D's in the P5Q PRO at 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v and all other settings on auto passed two or three rounds of memtest without fault. However as soon as I loaded Vista (64bit) the machine would freeze/Blue screen but be perfectly stable at DDR800 as in the MSI.

DRAM is passive. If the DRAM passes the Memtest of Read/Write/Acess and Load commands, then the DRAM can be seen to be external to the issue. However, if you are convinced that the DRAM is the issue you can RMA. If you RMA and the issue repeats, then you are assured that the problem is with your hardware or BIOS settings/revision.

When I read that one stick works in the board, but when you add a second stick (that works singly on memtest) into another slot you have issues, I think mainboard issue.

Then you remove those two sticks and use two other sticks of the same speed with no issues, then it doesn't make much sense to me. So, RMA the DRAM and see what happens I guess. It's a strange situation.

There CM2X1024-8500C5D are failing under the increased stress of running at 1066 but that seems a little unlikley as each seems to perform perfectly well as a single stick

That leads me to look at the mainboard memory controller. If I had this issue, I would look to the mainboard.

Archived