Corsair Community

ASUS Maximus Extreme EL I/O Shield

Darren K

Not really sure which section to post this in....

I'm having awful problems with the I/O shield. Do I have to line up the metal pins so that they fit into all the connections of the motherboard?

I have tried fitting the shield in place on the chassis first, but the metal pins on the back block the path of the connections.

Please someone help before I get more grey hair!

I have this board. There are two connectors to the motherboard. One for the LCD poster and the other for lighting the back plate a light blue. Both work as they should on mine.

If you look on your motherboard you will see a small input as shown by the below graphic. You insert both the LCD Poster connection and the backplate connection before you insert the board into the case. Then you partially lower the board into the case, insert the backplate and finally fully lower the board and affix it.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/layout.jpg

Cheeers for the reply Derek.

However, my problem is the small metal "springs" (I think they are called) that are on the back of the I/O shield. Should these be bent out of the way at all so the MB's connections can fit through the holes of the I/O shield or are the metal contact things (springs) supposed to be pushed flat/leveles out so they sit flush with the shield.

Really hard to explain what I mean so I've inclded a pic here.

It's the little metal "spikes/springs" that you see that are in question.

P1050148.thumb.jpg.b30b367756edf9ca8d986f470f1e88f2.jpg

Those are separators. They fit in between the connections. They are not in the way of anything on any system I have ever built.

When you say they fit in between, you don't mean that have to be bent at a 90 degree angle and inserted into the connections do you?

You don't do anything with or to them. Just fit the motherboard into the slots and those will insert themselves in between.

It's not rocket science. Why don't you just fit it in? :sigh!:

LOL Yeah I know it seems like a dumb question :D: , but when I first tried to insert the MB some of those seperators seemed to get in the way.

Sure, that can happen. Just jiggle the board until it fits. :D:

:idea: Haha! All done! :D: It actually took a bit of fiddling about with the seperators. A had to bend one out of the way both both net connections and the firewire connection so these don't actually have any contact with the connections - I hope this is alright?

And thanks again for that picture showing where the connections to the back plate and poster are , that would have been my next question as the board and pics in the manual have a slightly different layout! :confused:

Archived