Corsair Community

Getting 1600 out of my TW3X4G1600C9DHX

Islandor

Hi,

You can see my system specs above, just built my first PC with the parts shown. Its working perfectly but would like to get the most out the RAM I purchased from Corsair. My Q6700 has a 1066FSB, and thats what shows in Windows or CPU-Z. I understand from reading here, and elsewhere, that I would need to OC the Q6700 to do this.

I have never done this before so would appreciate any simple (if possible) suggestions as to the correct OC settings for the Q6700 with my system, step by step woul be even better :-) I was not planning on any other modifications, unless they are necessary.

Great to have a place like this with experts like Derek & Ram Guy around, and the readers as well, to help out, thanks!

If you drop your multiplier and raise your FSB, then you will be able to make the 400Mhz FSB for 1600Mhz on the DRAM. Even then, many of those processors ran quit hot so you will very likely need an aftermarket cooler for a stable overclock.

Download Realtemp from Here

Run Linpack for full memory (2) and use a 1 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures.

What are the temps (Maximum Realtemp) after five minutes?

If you drop your multiplier and raise your FSB, then you will be able to make the 400Mhz FSB for 1600Mhz on the DRAM. Even then, many of those processors ran quit hot so you will very likely need an aftermarket cooler for a stable overclock.

Download Realtemp from Here

Run Linpack for full memory (2) and use a 1 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures.

What are the temps (Maximum Realtemp) after five minutes?

Hi Derek.

If possible, could you give me the BIOS settings I should use? As I had mentioned, its my first time to try this so having it shown in a bios listing fashion (like what you did for Darren K or bluf98 in some other threads)... "Dropping the multiplier, and raising the the FSB" sounds easy enough, and for you pro's I'm sure it is, but I don't want to screw things up :-)

Yes I have read much on the need to take care re temps when OC'ing, and will use heat monitoring and stress test programs. My cooler is a Thermalright SI-128 SE and I think its up to the task.

By the way, I should have asked in my first post... will there be much of a positive difference by doing the OC to get the FSB up to 1600? Should I expect a nice increase in speed for some tasks, or will there be little difference?

Thanks again!

You will find major difference in tasks of rendering video, multiplexing audio, cpu and memory intensive database programs, etc.

If you are scrolling through Excel, you will find little difference :D:

Hi Derek,

Been trying to make adjustments in the bios, no luck so far, will keep studying. Played around with the Asus AI Suite a bit and had a bit of luck, but not much. Currently just running in "Turbo Mode" which made the bus speed 280, got the CPU to 2.8Ghz and the Ram up to 1122. Temps in RealTemp were low to mid 50's after 15 minutes of Prime 95, CoreTemp about 5 higher.

In the bios, the "defalut" settings for the Ram are 7-7-7-20, not the 9-9-9-24 specified by Corsair, and I could see no way to adjust the FSB:DRAM memory divider, default seems to be 2:1, or thats whats shown in CPU-Z anyway.

I'm using Bios 1401.

If you have the time, would still be interested to see your recommended code for the correct bios tweaks... thanks.

Or if anybody else out there is running the P5E3, and using a Q6700 Go step, with the 1600 Corsair Ram, please post any successful, stable OC settings, cheers!

If possible, could you give me the BIOS settings I should use?

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Please Enter your BIOS and set to these values, save and shut down.

[b]AI Tweaker[/b]

[b]Configure System Performance Settings[/b]Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
    eXtreme Memory Profile = Disabled
CPU Ratio Setting = 9
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
FSB = 333
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto
CAS# Latency =  9
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# PRE Time = 9
RAS# ACT Time = 24
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Enabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled
Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = 1.25v
DRAM Voltage = 1.7v
NB Voltage = 1.45v
SB Voltage = Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
Load Line Calibration = Disabled
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = 67%
NB GTL Voltage Reference: 63%
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Insert a single stick in the slot closest to the CPU. Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut down. Remove the stick and replace it with the second stick. Retest. Then insert a stick in slot one and slot three. Retest. If stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Insert a single stick in the slot closest to the CPU. Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut down. Remove the stick and replace it with the second stick. Retest. Then insert a stick in slot one and slot three. Retest. If stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Derek, You are the man!

I have to admit though that I did things a bit backward, put in your settings, successfully booted, and did the windows testing, then ran the memtest, without even opening up the case... would have done it the hard way had it not worked though... but it did, thanks!!! First successful overclock!

I'll have to study up about attaching photos here, sorry, a rookie at forums also... will do so when I get it sorted. For now, I ran Prime 95 & Defrag simultaneously for 45 minutes while surfing and using other programs, very stable it seems. Real Temp got up to low 60's which I guess isn't too bad with my current fan. Will work on cooling it down a bit in the future, especially as I still would like to get to 1600, the Corsair value of my memory. Also, my memory was put in the slots as per Asus manual, 3 & 4 on CPU-Z (A1 & A2 by Asus) which are the 2 slots closest to the CPU...

Will try the photos later, cheers!

Derek,

I put some photos of the CPU-Z & Real Temp in my profile photo album, hope that works OK for you.

Cheers,

Bob

I don't see any pictures. Just post and look a bit lower in the editing post and you will see an "Attachment" button. Just use that. :D:

Derek, You are the man!

I have to admit though that I did things a bit backward, put in your settings, successfully booted, and did the windows testing, then ran the memtest, without even opening up the case... would have done it the hard way had it not worked though... but it did, thanks!!! First successful overclock!

I'll have to study up about attaching photos here, sorry, a rookie at forums also... will do so when I get it sorted. For now, I ran Prime 95 & Defrag simultaneously for 45 minutes while surfing and using other programs, very stable it seems. Real Temp got up to low 60's which I guess isn't too bad with my current fan. Will work on cooling it down a bit in the future, especially as I still would like to get to 1600, the Corsair value of my memory. Also, my memory was put in the slots as per Asus manual, 3 & 4 on CPU-Z (A1 & A2 by Asus) which are the 2 slots closest to the CPU...

Derek,

Thanks for the tip... I had not scrolled down far enough before to see the attachments button.

If you think we can go to 1600 would love to try the code!

Photos attached:

You have your DRAM in the wrong slots. Notice on the Memory tab in CPU-z that you are running in Single Channel Mode.

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick in Slot 1 and one in Slot 3. Restart the system and post the CPU-z Memory tab again.

You have your DRAM in the wrong slots. Notice on the Memory tab in CPU-z that you are running in Single Channel Mode.

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick in Slot 1 and one in Slot 3. Restart the system and post the CPU-z Memory tab again.

Wired: Thanks for that... I deleted the photos in the previous post also.

Derek: OK, I put the RAM into slots 1 & 3 as you suggested. :o:

Ran memtest 2 passes, no errors. Have Prime 95 running now, temps stable as attached also. Everything seems fine running at 1333.

Had read in some other threads here that getting 1600 with my MB and the Q6700 may not be easy, but if you think we can, I'm game to try it.

Was wondering what the difference would be for Single vs Dual channels for the DRAM, will try to google it...

Thanks again, everything seems stable with your good help. If you ever get to Phuket, let me know, beers are on me!

373397282_CPU-ZCPU.jpg.4dee1ea5ea240208e30c71aeaea60f7a.jpg

177313914_CPU-ZMem.jpg.4f1f85ef9a8541ece7ac06cb08919929.jpg

1891175682_CPU-ZSPD-3.jpg.8d11138b0f812fe5be36fb6740fcf65a.jpg

1361780081_CPU-ZSPD-1.jpg.f8937a3085d1a4bbb396063679ad69cb.jpg

883912283_RealTempafter10mins.jpg.838465305c121a0b9965e5e9a2c4989c.jpg

Derek,

Since its Sunday afternoon here, been playing around a bit... changed the following settings only from what you gave me above:

CPU Ratio Setting = 8

FSB Strap to Northbridge = 400

FSB = 400

The good news is that it booted fine, was running fine at 3.2 & 1600, for a while. Have attached screen shots below so you can see the details.

Ran Prime95 together with defrag for about 2 hours, then the screen froze. Re booted to the 1333 settings and am running the Prime95 & Defrag combo again as I had stopped previously after an hour or so thinking all was good, and probably it will be, but thought it fair to run it longer to double check so will let it run until bedtime. Also, in the pic above for Real Temp, that was with the cover off of my box, and the system runs quite a bit cooler that way. I put the cover on for these current tests. At the 1600 settings temps stabilized in the high 60's, at the 1333 in low to mid 60's.

Thought for a couple of hours that I had it sorted, and would have been quite happy to get to 3.2 and 1600 and leave it be... Maybe there are some other adjustments needed for voltage or ? to get it stable??

Seem to be close to the goal...

203857482_CPU-ZCPU3.2.jpg.bba92ae0d603ffa64dd76ccf90469554.jpg

795562907_CPU-ZSPD-11600.jpg.d1ccb4cbe1a32cf2314021470bc31aa9.jpg

808932644_RealTempafter30mins.jpg.921665aa0c6239879accbb49c0df4646.jpg

Increase your DRAM voltage to 1.80v. Set your DRAM strapping to 333Mhz. Change nothing else. Your temperatures are getting up there. What cooler are you using?

Hi Derek,

Sorry if I'm a bit dense, but watned to clarify Did you mean to keep all previous settings for the 1333 MHz in the code you gave me above and just change the voltage as:

CPU Ratio Setting = 9

FSB = 333

DRAM Voltage = 1.8v

or to keep try the 1600 Mhz settings I used but with higher voltage as:

CPU Ratio Setting = 8

FSB = 400

DRAM Voltage = 1.8v

My cooler is the Thermalright SI-128 SE (seems to be pretty good but I have some height issues in the Silverstone case that made it difficult to get one of the monster types)

Cheers

Hi Derek,

Sorry if I'm a bit dense, but watned to clarify Did you mean to keep all previous settings for the 1333 MHz in the code you gave me above and just change the voltage as:

or to keep try the 1600 Mhz settings I used but with higher voltage as:

CPU Ratio Setting = 8

FSB = 400

DRAM Voltage = 1.8v

Set to these values and see if you gain stability. You may have to set your CPU voltage higher and manually to achieve a 400Mhz FSB with stability on such a 266 (Stock) MHz FSB processor. I would set to 1.38v on the CPU if you are still unstable and then lower it incrementally.

Use Prime95 Large FFT's for testing the stability of your CPU.

Download 32bit Prime95 for Quads from-->

Download 64bit Prime95 for Quads from-->

Set to these values and see if you gain stability. You may have to set your CPU voltage higher and manually to achieve a 400Mhz FSB with stability on such a 266 (Stock) MHz FSB processor. I would set to 1.38v on the CPU if you are still unstable and then lower it incrementally.

Derek,

I tried the settings as suggested, and ran Prime's Large FTT's and window froze in minutes, upped the CPU voltage... froze again quickly... tried various combinations, froze in minutes... Changed the FSB strap to 400, lowered the CPU to 1.35v and the DRAM to 1.74v (voltages chosen arbitrarily) and it ran ror a few hours under prime... no crash at all... I have no idea why the higher voltages caused the failures, but backing them off seemed to do the trick.

While it was running at 400, I decided to plug the 333 back into the FSB strap and try that again as I assumed there was a good reason for your specifying it... that was 13 hours ago, and Prime ran all night successfully so I'm calling it a success and a done deal. That is unless you say differently.

Attached the CPU-Z's CPU tab and Real Temp after 13 hours. To recap, the final settings used were:

CPU Ratio Setting = 8

FSB = 400

CPU Voltage = 1.35v

DRAM Voltage = 1.74

I have saved the successful 3.2/1600 OC settings as Profile 2 in the bios. Am currently running on Profile 1 which I saved as the 3.0/1333MHz OC and will use this for daily things until I can work on decreasing heat, then will use the higher OC.

Thanks again Derek! I am a very happy, and will be loyal customer of Corsair.

1951707149_CPU-ZCPU3.2.jpg.1e0ac1e2c3ef27bad2ad3b348ba533ae.jpg

310876423_RealTempafter13hours.jpg.997a355669ac7f9089c842bc5ab24b1e.jpg

Derek,

I tried the settings as suggested, and ran Prime's Large FTT's and window froze in minutes, upped the CPU voltage... froze again quickly... tried various combinations, froze in minutes... Changed the FSB strap to 400, lowered the CPU to 1.35v and the DRAM to 1.74v (voltages chosen arbitrarily) and it ran ror a few hours under prime... no crash at all... I have no idea why the higher voltages caused the failures, but backing them off seemed to do the trick.

While it was running at 400, I decided to plug the 333 back into the FSB strap and try that again as I assumed there was a good reason for your specifying it... that was 13 hours ago, and Prime ran all night successfully so I'm calling it a success and a done deal. That is unless you say differently.

Attached the CPU-Z's CPU tab and Real Temp after 13 hours. To recap, the final settings used were:

CPU Ratio Setting = 8

FSB = 400

CPU Voltage = 1.35v

DRAM Voltage = 1.74

I have saved the successful 3.2/1600 OC settings as Profile 2 in the bios. Am currently running on Profile 1 which I saved as the 3.0/1333MHz OC and will use this for daily things until I can work on decreasing heat, then will use the higher OC.

Thanks again Derek! I am a very happy, and will be loyal customer of Corsair.

Well done! :): Let us know if you have any other issues. It takes time to find your system sweet spot. Attempt to lower the CPU voltage incrementally and retest if you want to find a lower voltage, but all in all, there's not much need.

For me, well I buy the parts and play for a month or so, if I'm lucky and then when the system is known and at the best possible overclock sweet spot, I move on to another system. :biggrin:

btw, your temps are fine and that's a good Prime test.

Well done! :): Let us know if you have any other issues. It takes time to find your system sweet spot. Attempt to lower the CPU voltage incrementally and retest if you want to find a lower voltage, but all in all, there's not much need.

For me, well I buy the parts and play for a month or so, if I'm lucky and then when the system is known and at the best possible overclock sweet spot, I move on to another system. :biggrin:

btw, your temps are fine and that's a good Prime test.

:biggrin: Thats great news, done deal!

I will post below the final full OC settings on the chance somebody else has the same MB/CPU/DRAM set up as mine... and won't have to go back through all of these posts to make sense of things:

(In Black Derek’s OC for 3.0GHz & 1333MHz, In Red = Stable Adjustments for 3.2GHz & 1600MHz)

AI Tweaker in Asus Bios rev. 1401

Configure System Performance Settings:

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual

eXtreme Memory Profile = Disabled (not shown in my bios)

CPU Ratio Setting = 9 (8)

FSB = 333 (400)

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333 (1600 automatic system change when FSB changed)

DRAM Command Rate = 2N

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto

CAS# Latency = 9

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9

RAS# PRE Time = 9

RAS# ACT Time = 24

All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Enabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled

Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto (Manual-1.35v)

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

FSB Termination Voltage = 1.25 (1.28v)

DRAM Voltage = 1.7v (1.72)

NB Voltage = 1.45v

SB Voltage = Auto

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

Load Line Calibration = Disabled

CPU GTL Voltage Reference = 67%

NB GTL Voltage Reference: 63% (61% was closest option on my bios, used for both OC’s)

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Derek, I will send you a private email as well, thanks again for your patience and great help!

Archived