Corsair Community

New Gaming Rig - i7 of course :)

Time to ditch this 4 yr old barebones and build a new gaming rig :)

Primary uses: WoW, RA3, TF2, CS:S, FarCry 2 and the like, etc... you get the idea...

Secondary uses: VMs, media server, heater :)

Here's my thoughts so far. Note that I haven't started heavily researching the CPU / video card yet (that's what's next).

CPU: i7 - Tempted to get the Extreme 965, but haven't researched the cost / performance ratio yet

Motherboard: Seen favorable reviews of the Asus P6T (deluxe?), but the ASUS Rampage II Extreme looks good as well, albeit overkill if you're not going to OC a lot.

Memory: 6 GB... maybe 12 GB ... :) Possible choices:

TR3X6G1866C9DF

TR3X6G1600C8D

TR3X6G1600C9

*****'s AWESOME EXCELLENT UBER DUBER memory... just kidding!

PSU: Only 1 choice - HX1000W

Video Cards: sooo out of touch, I have no idea. Running a 20 inch wide LCD @ 1680x1050 ATM. I'll probably upgrade to a 24 or 30 inch down the road (although I could just hook it up to my 42" 1080P LCD tv just as easily). Need to run Farcry 2 well and anything in the future. I'm guessing this will cost at least $600.

HDDs for boot: 1 or 2 Raptors (RAID 1 if 2 drives), 75GB or 150 GB... or an SSD drive (the new Intel one looks good)

HDDs for Storage: Tempted to go NAS for media (or just a media server). If I go that direction, 750GB / 1 TB should do it for internal, 3-4TB after RAID 5 for the NAS. Otherwise, 2 x 1 TB internal + some other drives I have laying around.

DVD Burner: May not get a new one, or I may get a blu-ray burner for kicks :)

Case: Depends on if I get a NAS or not. If I get a NAS, I'll stick w/ a Chemming case I have around, which is the OEM version of a good Antec case. If not, I'll get an Antec 900 or 1200.

Cooling: I'd prefer an air solution... but I may finally try my hands at a water solution.

NAS: not sure yet.

So yeah.... I'm gonna spend some cash :)

Guy @ work is selling this rig, may pick it up as well for the core of a Media Server:

Mini ATX case

Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 (overkill, I know)

Memory: TWIN2X2048-6400

Video: EVGA GeForce 8500GT 256 MB (256-P2-N740-LR)

HDD: 160 GB

DVD ROM

750W PSU (generic)

Thinking I'd replace the HDD and put in 2 new ones (750GB-1TB per drive) and add existing external storage. Should be good for a while. Not sure though, could just build one in the spring and save some money.

So, thoughts / suggestions?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very solid build. Here are some thoughts:

OS: Not sure if I'd splurge and get Vista Ultimate at this point in time; I would try and skimp here and go with something temporary or cheap until Windows 7 gets released, such as Vista Home Premium 64. W7 is strongly rumored to be out sometime between mid-late 2009, and Beta 1 is rumored to be released next month officially.

HDDs for boot: Velociraptor 150GB. I'd skip the Intel SSD. I also considered it, but after looking at the benches, even though it provides blazing fast read times, it does have some questionable write times for the money you're spending, you would expect better and the VR is right there with it in that regard. $600 for an 80GB Multi-Level Cell Solid State Drive just doesn't seem cost conscious to me.

Cooling: One heat sink I would consider is the TRUE (~$50-60) with LGA 1366 mounting kit ($10), assuming your case can fit it. I think Thermalright also has one made just for i7 so you wouldn't need to purchase the mounting kit separately, but I haven't seen it for sale yet.

Hey Homie,

I would go Core I7 hands down but its your choice and please let me know if you need any help with the system or questions!

They're ALL Core i7 :) The other rig is just a possible media rig really. I'll give you a call sometime this week.

Very solid build. Here are some thoughts:

OS: Not sure if I'd splurge and get Vista Ultimate at this point in time; I would try and skimp here and go with something temporary or cheap until Windows 7 gets released, such as Vista Home Premium 64. W7 is strongly rumored to be out sometime between mid-late 2009, and Beta 1 is rumored to be released next month officially.

W7 will be pushed back for sure. Vista cost is free for me via work contacts. Yes, it's LEGAL.

HDDs for boot: Velociraptor 150GB. I'd skip the Intel SSD. I also considered it, but after looking at the benches, even though it provides blazing fast read times, it does have some questionable write times for the money you're spending, you would expect better and the VR is right there with it in that regard. $600 for an 80GB Multi-Level Cell Solid State Drive just doesn't seem cost conscious to me.
Yeah, the Intel was added to the list as an afterthought. Dream PC and all :)

Cooling: One heat sink I would consider is the TRUE (~$50-60) with LGA 1366 mounting kit ($10), assuming your case can fit it. I think Thermalright also has one made just for i7 so you wouldn't need to purchase the mounting kit separately, but I haven't seen it for sale yet.
I'll check it out, thanks.

Here's the config I'm probably going with:

Intel Core i7 940

Asus P6T Deluxe

TR3X6G1600C8D (probably get the fan when it comes out)

HX1000W

2 Western Digital Raptors for boot

Raid 5 config of a couple of 1TB or 1.5TB drives

Video cards are still up in the air, but leaning towards the EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1GB series (01G-P3-128*-AR), but why the hell do they have so many versions? Only difference is a slight OC to the core (~50 Mhz) and it's a 15 dollar difference between the low end and the high end...

Thinking of picking up the Antec 900 (it's on sale locally for a lot less than online).

Here's the config I'm probably going with:

Intel Core i7 940

Asus P6T Deluxe

TR3X6G1600C8D (probably get the fan when it comes out)

HX1000W

2 Western Digital Raptors for boot

Raid 5 config of a couple of 1TB or 1.5TB drives

Step up to the plate mate... :D:

If you ever do make the plunge into WaterCooling your newest baby, the D-Tec FuZion may be worth looking at once an i7 mounting is created.

i have only the version 1 on my BloodIron Q6600 and dropped over 20c on temps running 4 F@H cores 24/7 vs the stock air cooler @3.7Ghz! (both used AS5)

just dropping in my .02 from a very happy customer.

ill never go back to air....ever.

Here's what's in my NewEgg cart currently ($3000 atm, eheh):

Intel Core i7 940 (going to the 920 would save $300)

ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm (dropping the OC Palm, which is a trinket, face it people, would save $30)

TR3X6G1600C8D

CMPSU-1000HX

2x EVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB (01G-P3-1284-AR) (going to the 1280 would save $40)

1x Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB (going to the 150GB would save $100)

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB (going to the 1TB would save $60, and I could get 1 drive now, 1 later, saving another $100)

So, I could downgrade it a bit, and save ~$650, and I wouldn't really notice any difference. CPU could be OC'd, OC Palm is a toy lol, video cards could be OC'd, don't need that much space on a boot drive, and storage could always be bought later.

Step up to the plate mate... :D:
As in buy it now? Waiting on pricing from a local vendor. Hopefully they're the same or better as NewEgg, or can get me a discount for buying most of it from them.

If you ever do make the plunge into WaterCooling your newest baby, the D-Tec FuZion may be worth looking at once an i7 mounting is created.

i have only the version 1 on my BloodIron Q6600 and dropped over 20c on temps running 4 F@H cores 24/7 vs the stock air cooler @3.7Ghz! (both used AS5)

I know next to nothing about WC though. What's the cost of a good WC setup? I'd probably have to go w/ a bigger case to do it properly though.

Yeah, the Intel [sSD]was added to the list as an afterthought. Dream PC and all :)

Afterthought? Hah!

One thing that people overlook is that SSD's (especially with Intel's quality standards) can be expected to be much more reliable than legacy mechanical HDD's.

That means you can put them in RAID-0 without worrying about losing your data, and in my case triple the read and write speeds. Yes, the write speeds for each SSD are about the same as Velociraptors, but in regular usage you do far more reading than writing, and the SSD's are much faster for reading.

The core-i7 I'm building this week (and OK money is not a problem) is:

Asus P6T mobo

6G Corsair memory (the TR3X6G1600C8D kit)

Core i7 965 processor

BFG Nvidia 280 vid card (the ATI x2 is faster but pulls way more power and I like to keep heat and fan noise as low as possible)

3xIntel 80G SSD's in RAID-0

Antec p180 case (all fans replaced by Silenx fat 120mm fans running real slow on Zalman fan controllers)

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366 h/s (when available, also with a fat Silenx 120mm fan running slow)

Seasonic 650W power supply (not planning any SLI, and the HDD's pull about 2 watts combined!)

My mass storage is a Synology DS508 NAS box, which will contain 5x1TB Seagate barracudas in RAID-5, and will talk to the PC over a dedicated Gigabit Ethernet connection using jumbo frames. (Exploiting the dual Gig Ethernet on the P6T - the other ethernet port talks to the home network and the web.) Jumbo frames significantly improve the performance of NAS boxes, but if you're using them it's better to have a dedicated connection.

Revised the plan a bit:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 ($300 for a small bump isn't worth it)

CPU Cooler: Stock, then switch to a better one once they're available. Looking at the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366 RT currently, although I'm waiting for Zalman's new one to come out as well.

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme

Memory: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D

PSU: Corsair HX1000W

Video Cards: Debating between:

2x EVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB (01G-P3-1284-AR)

2x BFG Tech GeForce GTX 280 1 GB (3 versions though)

Hard Drives: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB (solely for boot)

Primary Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (apps) - may change to a smaller WDC Black for apps, and a WDC Green for Storage

Changed the motherboard for triple SLI, but apparently it's a bit bigger than the ATX standard. I'll need a BIG case for it (not to mention for the huge video cards). Gotta see if the Antec 900 is big enough. If not, the Antec 1200 probably. Any suggestions?

2 video cards for now, but not sure if I'm going BFG or EVGA. Not too worried about the rebates, but BFG rebates are for 2 cards max, while EVGA only lets you get a rebate for 1. BFGs also come w/ one or 2 more items in the box. BFG shows some thought in letting the user have 2 rebates (SLI and all), however one of their rebate companies is having issues paying out rebates currently (although BFG says they've made sure all of their rebates will be paid out).

XBrit: Synology DS508 NAS looks nice but a bit pricey. For that cost, I'd rather go w/ an Infrant ReadyNAS, which is now owned by Netgear. Bastards jacked up the prices though when they bought them out.

Good news on the motherboard RMA front:

http://usa.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=13586

Fremont, CA (Nov 24, 2008) - For the customer and system builder seeking peace of mind with their motherboard investment, ASUS, the industry-leading motherboard manufacturer today announces the ASUS Premium Service (APS) program for their enthusiast-class motherboards. This program entitles users requiring RMA to cross-ship defective boards for replacement free of charge, ensuring faster service and minimal downtime.

ASUS' current top shelf motherboards initially qualify for APS, including the latest Republic of Gamers (ROG) series boards and two X58 iCore7 motherboards, the P6T Deluxe and Rampage 2 Extreme.

Effective immediately, qualifying motherboard customers can enjoy these benefits by contacting ASUS Customer Service at 510-739-3777 (option 2, then option 2) or visiting ASUS support on the web at livesupport.asus.com. For more information, please visit: livesupport.asus.com/APS

My head hurts... been reading up on mobos, cases, etc.

Video Cards: 2 of the GTX 280 from either EVGA or BFG. Too bad EVGA's combo deal right now isn't on the 280s)

I want a motherboard that supports triple SLI, but I'd rather not get an E-ATX board like the Asus Rampage 2 Extreme. Looking at the Cooler Master 840 case (hole for the back plate assembly of the CPU cooler, transverse HDD mounting) but OMG is it big!

Researching smaller CM cases, but that HAF 932 is just too ugly to buy, in spite of its features.

Coincidentally, I found a system using a CM Stacker 832 case @ work today, hidden in a corner. 5 min before that I was thinking of buying one lol!

Confirmed by Intel

We were told that Intel's Nehalem, the CPU that we know as Core i7 has TLB. TLB, three letters that have destroyed the sales of Phenom and Opterons based on 65nm K10 cores, stands for Translation Lookaside Buffer, and Intel officialy states in its Intel Core i7 Processor, Extreme Edition Series and Intel Core i7 Processor - Specification Update PDF, that the CPU has a TLB bug.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10707&Itemid=1

I await the second iteration of Nehalem. However, all processors have bugs, just as all software has bugs.

Keep in mind that the Inquirer and Fudzilla are not known for being newsworthy sources and as a matter of a fact, the two are known to be very poor sources as they are not concerned with truth. They will publish pretty well anything that can create hits.

I would await more information.

http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008/12/02/alleged-core-i7-tlb-issue-is-not-a-story-at-all/

This was my hoot recently. Designed to be a high performance gaming/entertainment rig at 1900x1200.. hehe :cool:

1. Intel® Core™ i7 i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366  
2. MSI Eclipse SLI Intel X58 LGA1366 DDR3   	    	 
3. Corsair TR3X3G1600C9 XMS3 Classic 1600MHz 3GB Kit DDR3 
4. Antec Quattro 850W TruePower Quattro PSU 80Plus   	   
5. Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package Full Tower   	    
6. HIS Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5
7. DELL 2408WPF 24" LCD Monitor

Had a hell of a lot of getting the Eclipse and RAM to work with each other though... Crappy XMP profile... But all is fine now :D:

This was my hoot recently. Designed to be a high performance gaming/entertainment rig at 1900x1200.. hehe :cool:

Hrm, that case may work for me actually. How was the install? Watched the review @ 3DGameMan, and it seems that you can probably access the back of the CPU mounting system through the motherboard fan.

Hrm, that case may work for me actually. How was the install? Watched the review @ 3DGameMan, and it seems that you can probably access the back of the CPU mounting system through the motherboard fan.

The install.. Easier then say the thermaltake armour. The cable management stuff is a good bonus. It's also lighter then the thermaltake armour.

Not sure whether you can easily mount stuff though the hole at the back of the cpu area. It more meant for an additional fan...

So far the peeves I have with this case.. The side panel release hinge was not designed very well and it is quite expensive. But does look cool and all the accessories are of good quality. eg. all black screws, extra fan, 5.25" hard disk/floppy mount.

You might also be impressed with the hard disk mounts. You get 6 of them and they work quite well (tooless btw). Reminds me of the raid 5 hot swap drives.

Oh the plastic compartments might seem stupid at first.. But since I am using a 4870x2.. I am glad I have a heat shield between the back of the x2 and the CPU... The freaking thing runs freaking scary HOT !!

Had a hell of a lot of getting the Eclipse and RAM to work with each other though... Crappy XMP profile... But all is fine now :D:

2. MSI Eclipse SLI Intel X58 LGA1366 DDR3 ??

Read this review Wired, before you look at this board.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208711&highlight=MSI+Eclipse

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/search.php?searchid=10407758

There's posts like this all over the Enthusiast community.

thats why i looked at the whitepaper myself. search the pdf for tlb

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/specupdt/320836.pdf

There we go. Something to reference rather than weebee jeebee sites. :D:

Doesn't sound to be much. Intel is so powerful that it can and does demand Manufacturers of Mainboards (BIOS engineers) and OEM software BIOS engineers to effect ROM changes.

Look to C1 revision to have the changes in CPU ROM.

The side panel release hinge was not designed very well and it is quite expensive.
As in you've already had to replace the hinge?

Oh the plastic compartments might seem stupid at first.. But since I am using a 4870x2.. I am glad I have a heat shield between the back of the x2 and the CPU... The freaking thing runs freaking scary HOT !!
Yeah, that's a nice feature. Does it go over ALL the PCI-E slots? Doing dual / triple SLI.

2. MSI Eclipse SLI Intel X58 LGA1366 DDR3 ??
I'd rather stick w/ the Asus R2E, but I'm not especially happy w/ the PCI-E x1 slot at the top. You have to hack off part of the chipset heatsink to put in a full card.

Gotta compare this case w/ the CM 840 / 832 later in terms of size.

As in you've already had to replace the hinge?

Yeah, that's a nice feature. Does it go over ALL the PCI-E slots? Doing dual / triple SLI.

I'd rather stick w/ the Asus R2E, but I'm not especially happy w/ the PCI-E x1 slot at the top. You have to hack off part of the chipset heatsink to put in a full card.

Gotta compare this case w/ the CM 840 / 832 later in terms of size.

The hinge nope the it isn't broken but I guess I could break if I was rough with it. But it is hard to open the side panel, I can't why from design of the prying mechanism. Found it odd they overlooked this part when everything else was done pretty well.

Dual shouldn't be a problem.. Not sure about triple... Worst case scenario you can take out the bottom compartment. I really need to get into a long gaming session to see how well this works this weekend. Since I live near the equator.. Heat issues are put to the ultimate test.

Oh btw... The Speedo is TALL !! It dwarfs the thermaltake armour in height.

Archived