Corsair Community

Creating Bootable Flash Voyager USB drives

trades4usd

I am the proud owner of an 8GB Flash Voyager, CMFUSB2.0-8GB, and since its arrival, 4 months ago, it has served me flawlessly.

Today, I ordered a 16GB Flash Voyager, CMFUSB2.0-16GB, and plan to use it for many applications including my reason for this posting . . .

I want to make each Flash Voyagers a bootable USB drive, and while I have researched the Internet, reviewed several Google hits, downloaded and executed a couple of utility programs, I have not succeded.

My primary goal includes a bootable Windows 98SE USB drive, and the other a bootable Windows XP USB drive.

My primary goal involves running a DOS version of AutoCAD11 that I currently use on my, Pentium III, notebook PC - running 98SE. Due to the 386Enh requirements, PharLap and other related issues, I do not run from 98SE, instead I run the AutoCAD program after pressing F8 at startup, and selecting option 5 which boots me to a DOS Prompt. From there, I load the AutoCAD software and so on.

I should mention that my desktop PC BIOS can be set to boot from to a USB drive.

I should also mention that I tried using a Boot CD, a bootable floppy (with no HDD attached - literally, physically disconnect the SATA and power cables) and then ran FDISK to create a primary partition, then enable it and set is as active. But when I loaded 98SE, it would not boot. I even tried MS-DOS 6.0 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 = neither would boot.

QUESTION #1

Can either or both the CMFUSB2.0-8GB and CMFUSB2.0-16GB Flash Voyagers capable of being set up as bootable USB drives?

QUESTION #1

Has anyone had any success with any particular software utility for XP, and, with fingers crossed, perhaps, 98SE?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

T4USD

Search the forum, there's multiple posts about this. I believe there's an HP utility that many have found useful.

Searched before posting. Tried the HP utility before posting - HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - it did not work and found it completely USELESS since everything it does can be accomplished without it or any other (similar) utility.

And I don't work for CORSAIR either.

T4USD

> Flash Drive Won't Format? Try This

I have no problem formatting my 8GB Flash Voyager. Did not answer QUESTION #1...

Can either or both the CMFUSB2.0-8GB and CMFUSB2.0-16GB Flash Voyagers capable of being set up as bootable USB drives?

> Jack Flash F.A.Q.

Does not answer my QUESTION #1...

So, what is the answer, oh mighty RAM GUY, to QUESTION #1...

Hmmm???

• Corsair Employees

I dont think you read through that whole post.

The steps are there to use a Win9X Boot Floppy or CD and set the Flash Drive as if its a HDD and use FDISK and FORMAT from a Win9x Boot Floppy to make the Flash Drive boot able, but your MB BIOS will have to support setting a Flash Drive as a USB HDD and you have to disconnect the HDD when you run this procedure and FDISK can only have one active Boot drive in any system.

I dont think you read through that whole post.

The steps are there to use a Win9X Boot Floppy or CD and set the Flash Drive as if its a HDD and use FDISK and FORMAT from a Win9x Boot Floppy to make the Flash Drive boot able, but your MB BIOS will have to support setting a Flash Drive as a USB HDD and you have to disconnect the HDD when you run this procedure and FDISK can only have one active Boot drive in any system.

If I was given an American nickel for every time I asked an engineer to speak to me like I'm a 2nd Grader, or for every time others asked me (a fellow engineer) to speak to them as if they were a 2nd Grader, then I would be a wealthy Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer instead of a loathsome electrical engineer struggling with this Corsair bootable Windows 98SE problem. That being said, let me summarize my efforts.

The post to which you refer involves downloading a Windows 98 SE boot disk file, boot98se. This file, when executed writes to FDDs only. Fortunately, my XP SP2 PC was ordered with a floppy and after executing the file, boot98se, it created a BOOTABLE FLOPPY. It did NOT create a BOOTABLE Corsair USB drive.

I have no problems formatting my 8GB Flash Voyager, and no problems setting my BIOS to boot USB devices (including flash drives), and I have no problem setting up AutoCAD on my 8GB Flash Voyager. However, I do have a problem MAKING my 8GB Flash Voyager bootable so there is no need for a floppy boot disk.

In short, after executing the instructions associated with the link to which you referred me, I now have a bootable Windows 98SE floppy disk and when I set my BIOS' boot sequence to first boot a USB device, second a floppy disk drive (also known as the A:\ drive on my PC), the floppy boots Windows 98 to an A:\ prompt where I can type C: which is the root directory of the Corsair USB drive that houses the AutoCAD executable file to enter the AutoCAD program.

Of course, I created a batch file to eliminate the extra typing and once the floppy loads COMMAND.COM, MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, and executes CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, the Corsair USB drive is engaged and the PC loads AutoCAD from it. The procedure that I describe cannot be be described as a BOOTABLE USB DRIVE because the USB drive does not boot, the floppy boots.

I prefer not having to carry both a floppy disk and a Corsair Flash Voyager when I simply want to carry the Corsair (as a bootable USB drive).

When I copy the bootable WINDOWS 98SE floppy files to my Corsair, and disable the floppy drive in my BIOS where I also set the USB Device in the first position under boot sequence, I get the following error:

Disk Error

Press any key to restart

Pressing any key results in this same error message repeated each time any key is pressed. The only way out of this loop requires removal of the Flash Voyager USB drive, and then the system boots into Windows XP (as it should).

If the Corsair 8GB Flash Voyager USB drive is indeed CAPABLE of being used as a BOOTABLE DRIVE, then what steps are required?

By now it should be abundantly clear that my understanding is either SERIOUSLY FLAWED or this drive is NOT capable of being the SOLE device when booting.

Looking forward to your clarification(s),

T4USD :confused:

Wow, im sorry to see someone that frustrated, perhaps you can take a moment and read through the instructions for the HP flash program.

you take the win98 files put them in a directory on your hdd then run the HP app, it asks for the location of the win98 files THEN formats and WRITES to the USB flash drive including creating a MBR on the flash drive making it bootable.

you cannot drag and drop the files on the drive, then there is no MBR creation.

i do apologize if i sound forward, i have made at least 50 of these over the past year with no error or problem once i followed the instructions and assumed nothing.

here is the app i use in windows, there is another dos based one too.

i extracted all the win98 boot files to a dir on my desktop and pointed the app to it as shown.

i scribbled out the brand of the disk since it wasnt a Corsair one i had handy.

i sincerely hope this helps, the whole process took 14 seconds.

http://www.liquidninjas.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=2832

as far as an XP bootable flash drive i personally have never made one, i simply use like WINPE or Barts bootable CDs

sorry i cannot help you there. maybe bootdisk.com can help?

hpflash.zip

When I copy the bootable WINDOWS 98SE floppy files to my Corsair, and disable the floppy drive in my BIOS where I also set the USB Device in the first position under boot sequence, I get the following error:

Have you resolved this yet? Synthohol provided excellent clarification.

FYI, the purpose of the floppy in this process is simply to be the source for the DOS boot image needed to make the USB drive bootable. Once the HP utility is finished, you won't be needing to carry any drives other than your Voyager.

Wow, im sorry to see someone that frustrated, perhaps you can take a moment and read through the instructions for the HP flash program.

you take the win98 files put them in a directory on your hdd then run the HP app, it asks for the location of the win98 files THEN formats and WRITES to the USB flash drive including creating a MBR on the flash drive making it bootable.

you cannot drag and drop the files on the drive, then there is no MBR creation.

i do apologize if i sound forward, i have made at least 50 of these over the past year with no error or problem once i followed the instructions and assumed nothing.

here is the app i use in windows, there is another dos based one too.

i extracted all the win98 boot files to a dir on my desktop and pointed the app to it as shown.

i scribbled out the brand of the disk since it wasnt a Corsair one i had handy.

i sincerely hope this helps, the whole process took 14 seconds.

as far as an XP bootable flash drive i personally have never made one, i simply use like WINPE or Barts bootable CDs

sorry i cannot help you there. maybe bootdisk.com can help?

Thank you for your kind, generous and comprehensive reply, Synthohol.

Following your suggestions and instructions to the letter, I was successful at creating an 8GB Flash Voyager USB Boot Drive with only three 98SE files, and now my AutoCAD11 program. I could not be HAPPIER!!!

MANY, MANY THANKS!!!

Best regards,

T4USD :D:

Have you resolved this yet? Synthohol provided excellent clarification.

FYI, the purpose of the floppy in this process is simply to be the source for the DOS boot image needed to make the USB drive bootable. Once the HP utility is finished, you won't be needing to carry any drives other than your Voyager.

Indeed I have, specmike!

Thanks for chiming in regarding my difficulties on this issue.

I must admit that I find myself red in the face with embarrassment given how simple this process truly is.

Thank you also for taking the time to create an EXCELLENT thread regarding the formatting and creation of USB bootable drives, as found here: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=62742

Thanks again, specmike!

Best regards,

Indeed I have, specmike!

Thanks for chiming in regarding my difficulties on this issue.

I must admit that I find myself red in the face with embarrassment given how simple this process truly is.

Thank you also for taking the time to create an EXCELLENT thread regarding the formatting and creation of USB bootable drives, as found here: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=62742

Thanks again, specmike!

Best regards,

No worries, I am just glad you have it conquered. I have done the same type of thing before and felt really embarrassed when I finally got it right. Luckily, my loving wife was there to share the moment and point out my ineptitude :o:

Thanks again to Synthohol also :!:

Archived