Corsair Community

Please Comment My Setup

skyrider

Hi everyone! :)

I realy like my current corsair RAM. [TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX] DDR2

link to ram specs

I am running the two 1GB sticks in dual channel and it's at stock setting with no RAM overclocking.

I want to upgrade to 4GB of ram.

Now what I would like to know is,

1. Can i just buy another [TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX] kit and run 4 x 1GB sticks in dual channel still without an overclock.

or

2. Do I need to buy a [TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX] kit and run 2 x 2GB sticks in dual channel.

I don't plan to overclock my memory at all at this stage.

I've seen simmilar setups of both work but I would just like some input for ideas thanks!

also, all my PC specs are in my profile to be viewed :)

I would run with 2 X 2048MB alone. When you populate all four DRAM slots it is advised to drop the bandwidth.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller.

At any rate, I can help you with the settings if you choose to populate all four slots although I advise against it. Please research the above and understand what has to be done before we move ahead if you want to populate all four DRAM slots.

Hi everyone! :)

I realy like my current corsair RAM. [TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX] DDR2

link to ram specs

I am running the two 1GB sticks in dual channel and it's at stock setting with no RAM overclocking.

I want to upgrade to 4GB of ram.

Now what I would like to know is,

1. Can i just buy another [TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX] kit and run 4 x 1GB sticks in dual channel still without an overclock.

or

2. Do I need to buy a [TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX] kit and run 2 x 2GB sticks in dual channel.

I don't plan to overclock my memory at all at this stage.

I've seen simmilar setups of both work but I would just like some input for ideas thanks!

also, all my PC specs are in my profile to be viewed :)

Thanks for the reply.

I am wondering now if it's worth the extra $60 to ensure stability if i ever decide to overclock.

I don't plan to run at 1066MHz tho

The settings I plan on using are:

Memory Speed 400*2 = 800MHz

Latencies of 4-4-4-12

Voltage of 2.1v (Stock)

Any other opinions are apreciated :)

It is advised to drop the speed of the DRAM one bin if you populate with four DRAM slots.

In other words,

8500 (1066) --> 6400 (800) when populating with 4 X 8500 modules

6400 (800) --> 5300 (667) when populating with 4 X 6400 modules

Since you are looking for other responses, I will not be re-entering this thread.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Archived