Corsair Community

Corsair XMS 4000PT TwinX - Problems in Dual Channel mode...

muterobert

After installing a pair of Corsair XMS4000PT TwinX modules in my MSI 865pe Neo2 FISr2 mobo I have experiened issues gettint the RAM to run at (or even below) the rated speed of DDR500. I realise that there are others out there with similar issues (on this board) and wondered if there were any workarounds. I have tried all Voltage/Timing settings and have also the below RAM / Slot configurations: 512MB only (Bank A - Slot 1 - Single Channel Mode) - Runs Well at DDR500+ 1024 (Bank A - Slots 1+2 - Single Channel Mode) - Runs Well at DDR500+ *** The same results apply if the modules are swapped around *** 1024 (Bank A and Bank B slot 1 - Dual Channel Mode) - Even with the most LAX of timings I have issues. This is the case even if I run the memory at drsatically reduced speeds (well below rated) - the system will work stably at around DDR410-420 with no performance options on, and lowest possible timings. RamGuy or anyone out there - help me!!

• Corsair Employees
If the memory will run at the rated speed in single channel; but not in dual channel. It’s either a failing MB CPU or PSU, or possibly a setting. I would suggest testing the memory on another makers MB to be sure!

[quote name='RAM GUY']If the memory will run at the rated speed in single channel; but not in dual channel. It’s either a failing MB CPU or PSU, or possibly a setting. I would suggest testing the memory on another makers MB to be sure![/QUOTE] OK, I have tested the sticks in a nForce running dual DDR, again they seemed to have similar issues, above DDR 415-420 they exhibit issues. I will try lessening the load on my PSU tonight to see if that helps. As for a setting being the culprit, I am 99% certain this is not the case. I have been through them with a fine tooth comb with no success so far. Do you have any idea if MSI recognise any of these issues with my current board? It seems more BIOS related (barring the PSU) than anything else to me. If anyone else has any suggestions I would be grateful.

• Corsair Employees
Please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and the speed of the CPU you have and it's FSB. In addition, Nforce2 or AMD platform will top out at about 215-220 MHz! For these modules, IE: XMS4000 you would need to use I875 chipset with an 800 FSB CPU 2.4 or 2.6 GHz in order to reach 250 MHz!

OK I run the following settings: - P4 2.8 (800FSB - 1.6125 vcore) - will run up to 3.6ghz stable in Single Channel Mode - Ram @ 3-4-4-8-8 (up to 2.9v) - craps out at around DDR420 (Single Channel mode is still going strong at DDR500+) - MAT and DOT disabled Is that all you need? Incidentally nForce2 chipsets will clock quite high, especially if you reduce the multiplier on your CPU (which is what was done in this case).

• Corsair Employees
If they will run at the tested settings one up but not in dual channel, that would suggest some other problem. You might want to check at [url]www.overclocker.com[/url] and see how your CPU compares with others for the same S-Spec. But I have 2 2.8C CPU's and neither one will do much over 230MHz. But I can take the same memory with a 2,4C and run the modules at 260 MHz. I have no problem replacing your modules if that’s what you want! However, I don’t think that’s the problem in your case!

I absolutely agree with you. I think my problem is most certainly the board. As I say - I can actually take the CPU to ludicrous speeds (3.7Ghz so far) in single channel mode - but as soon as I engage dual channel its a no go. I have been chatting with someone on the MSI forums who owns a pair of 4000 Kinston HyperX bits - he is experiencing exactly the same issues as I am with the same board. My posts here was to maximise the amount of advice I could get, I am inclined to concur with you RE the RAM, I think its just fine. Looks like I'll be RMA'ing the board for an Asus or equivalent Abit at least. Thanks for all your help - and with anyone else about to invest in an MSI board with a view to some serious 1:1 clocking - my advice - DON'T!

Archived