Corsair Community

Couldn't Help It- Need A New Motherboard

DerekT

Looks pretty nice :cool:

Whats that little thing sticking out between your CPU and GFX card on the first pic?

Mobo should be top notch, where do we find your test reports??

edit: that thing is crazy expensive btw!

That's the ADI 2000B X-Fi Sound PCI-e adapter. No on board sound.

SupremeFX X-Fi Audio Card

- ADI® AD2000B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC

- EAX® Advanced™ HD 4.0

- X-Fi CMSS®-3D

- X-Fi Crystalizer™

- Creative ALchemy

- Supports 1 x S/PDIF out header

- Supports Coaxial/Optical S/PDIF out ports on rear

When I'm done, I'll post in here. Might take me a bit though :biggrin:

Out of interest Derek what made you choose CAS7 DDR3 1600 over CAS4/5 DDR2 1066/1200?

Is there a fair bit of headroom potential in DDR3? If so how low can these chips go?

Is it possible for these chips to take DDR2 voltages to improve latency\speed or will 2-2.2 burn'em out?

Be nice to get your take on this.

Cheers

Out of interest Derek what made you choose CAS7 DDR3 1600 over CAS4/5 DDR2 1066/1200?

Is there a fair bit of headroom potential in DDR3? If so how low can these chips go?

Is it possible for these chips to take DDR2 voltages to improve latency\speed or will 2-2.2 burn'em out?

Be nice to get your take on this.

Cheers

There are those who use high voltages and do get better timings and speeds, but those are the few in forums such as xtremesystems.org. I chose Cas7 DDR3 1600 over Cas9 DDR3 1800/2000 as I was pretty sure that I could tweak 1800C9 out of them at any rate. Also, the lower Cas can mean lower voltages. I have found that these modules (that I have) can make 1T at 1800Mhz 8-6-6-16 with 1.906v.

I had decided to make the move to DDR3 and await the "tock" (32nm) of nehalem which is a good six months or more. I was bored with DDR2 and this board will allow me the ability to play for the next six months until Nehalem's tock release.

However, I'm tweaking and playing at the moment. :D:

I had decided to make the move to DDR3 and await the "tock" (32nm) of nehalem which is a good six months or more. I was bored with DDR2 and this board will allow me the ability to play for the next six months until Nehalem's tock release.

However, I'm tweaking and playing at the moment. :D:

i know the feeling, but i guess your not married are you

:nutkick: -->that's what the mrs would do

Hi, I think it is a very nice Mobo you got, except for the ATI Crossfire, Im thinking of throwing my 470$ P564ws pro away and get me on of these, Nvidia is C.R.A.P, but I like their VGA card, and my question is, if Ill be getting this Rampage extreme Mobo, am I be able to install 2 geforces 9800 gtx on it, or it is exclusively for ATI crossfired Cards?

my Motherboard is hanging on post now, each restart means clearing CMOS, so congratulation on your 48X excellent choice, and tell us more about this mobo stability .

Hi, I think it is a very nice Mobo you got, except for the ATI Crossfire, Im thinking of throwing my 470$ P564ws pro away and get me on of these, Nvidia is C.R.A.P, but I like their VGA card, and my question is, if Ill be getting this Rampage extreme Mobo, am I be able to install 2 geforces 9800 gtx on it, or it is exclusively for ATI crossfired Cards?

my Motherboard is hanging on post now, each restart means clearing CMOS, so congratulation on your 48X excellent choice, and tell us more about this mobo stability .

The i7 X58 will be X-fire and SLi compatible. That will be the only Intel chipset that will do this. Intel and Nvidia have exchanged technology. Intel gives Nvidia the right to the X58 chipset and Nvidia gives Intel the right to the Sli technology for implementation. So, no SLi on Intel boards until X58.

This is the most stable motherboard I have ever used. I have yet to have to even use the CMOS reset. A simple shut down, press the Insert key and restart allows boot.

Great overclocks, but need for better cooling on the Northbridge though. BIOS revisions will help with greater memory bandwidth. The tweaking of memory, CPU, Memory Controller, Northbridge is better than any board I have ever used.

Something tells me that ATi will be a factor in the future. With AMD software driver engineers and their ringbus technology, I think you will see far better than parity soon.

Nvidia will have to get working or they will finally fall behind I think.

Something tells me that my next purchase of a Video Card will be ATi. I picked up a GTX 260 and a 4870X2 for testing. I found there were issues with online play and the 4870 and it ran very hot so I went with the GTX 260 and clocked it to 725/1450/2300.

Hello DerekT,

I found there were issues with online play and the 4870 and it ran very hot so I went with the GTX 260 and clocked it to 725/1450/2300.

Apparently ATI felt a slower running fan, with higher GPU temps, was more appealing from an acoustical standpoint then a faster running fan, but lower GPU temps.

Starting with the Catalyst drivers version 8.10, ATI has added the ability to manually control the fan speed of ATI HD 4000 series cards. This is much easier than performing the XML file edit that we used to have to do to increase the speed of the fans prior to CAT 8.10.

Of course, you can also use ATI Tray Tools and Rivatuner as well to control fan speed, along with overclocking features. I see that Rivatuner version 2.20 has just been released over at guru3d.com.

Winter is officially almost here is NE Ohio :(: and the ambient temps are dropping like a lead balloon, so I have my fan speed in CCC set to 31% for my HD4870 (non x2 version), which is just about 2000RPM. Barely audible. GPU core temps never exceed 60C in gaming :D:. I will increase the fan speed a little more during summer months.

Just a little FYI, but I am sure you already knew this DerekT :D:.

Apparently ATI felt a slower running fan, with higher GPU temps, was more appealing from an acoustical standpoint then a faster running fan, but lower GPU temps.

Starting with the Catalyst drivers version 8.10, ATI has added the ability to manually control the fan speed of ATI HD 4000 series cards. This is much easier than performing the XML file edit that we used to have to do to increase the speed of the fans prior to CAT 8.10.

Of course, you can also use ATI Tray Tools and Rivatuner as well to control fan speed, along with overclocking features. I see that Rivatuner version 2.20 has just been released over at guru3d.com.

Nvidia does the same with their fans as well. The differential in heat in the X2 versus the single card is markedly higher, though understandably so. Possibly I would have felt better with the single 4870.

EVGA Precision is the newest Nvidia tool and is easier with less of a memory footprint. Thanks for the info :):

Always had the same problem with ATI, now with my x1950pro, the fan will go around 65% on its lowest temperature (making it the loudest fan in my case), I make it go 45% and it stays on that temperature anyway...

It'll go 100% when I get over 65C, thats a 30C degree rise before it starts to go any faster, thats dumb, ATI is dumb when it comes to cooling.

btw DerekT, how hot is your CPU with that OC?

Archived