Corsair Community

Asus P5Q Deluxe + 2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-6400

Sunwind

Hi,

I can not get my system to boot with 4 sticks of this ram.

I have tried multiple combinations in different RAM ports and they all boot up fine alone, mixed together (in x3 combination) fine etc.

I have managed to get the PC to boot a couple times, but after a short time the PC will crash and shutdown immediately with no blue screen.

I have tried manually setting the timings to 5-5-5-12, loosened them to 5-5-5-15 and even the default 5-5-5-18 (the BIOS sets that as default, but on the actual sticks of ram, it says it should be 5-5-5-12)

I've tried changing the voltage to 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2

I've tried upping my NB Voltage to 1.36 (I read from RAM GUY on this forum somewhere that 1.45 is the safe limit for an Asus P5Q but I wasn't sure so I didn't try it that high.

This is with the CPU at stock settings and not overclocked.

I have tried setting the ram to 667mhz from 800mhz and still no dice.

Not sure what else to try, any help in getting this sorted and working would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
Then there is some other problem with one set installed please load setup defaults and set the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well then exit saving changes and install the other set and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I've just tried what you said, one set does indeed seem to be faulty, I have 2 sets, one says it is version 7, and the other set says on the sticker on the ram that it is version 1.5, the version 1.5 sticks seem to not work properly, should I RMA these to Corsair? I have had them quite a long time so i'm not sure they are covered by warranty anymore, and I think you need a reciept from where you bought them or something? I don't even remember where that was anymore ;-;

You tested the pair and posted again within 7 minutes of RG asking you to do that? Please explain how this is possible.

I was already doing it as I was making this thread, i've been continually trying to get it working and figure out the problem all day, posted in the thread on my laptop while troubleshooting the PC.

• 2 weeks later...

it seems the replacement ram is TWIN2X2048-6400 G

however what I sent you was CM2X1024-6400

I am currently using a matched pair of what I sent you, will the replacement ones you have sent me back play nice in dual channel config with what I already have? 2x 1GB CM2X1024-6400 with the TWIN2X2048-6400 G? will it work fine, is there anything I need to consider in the bios settings?

I see, thanks,

can you confirm what timings and voltage I should be using? your website says 5-5-5-18, the sticks of ram say 5-5-5-15 and the SPD says something else I think, I just don't know what I should have it at.

FYI I will be overclocking my E6750 CPU to 450 (3.6ghz) which will bring the ram to 900mhz, will these sticks handle that fine? I can't unlink it because it's an intel board obviously

5-5-5-18 is the JEDEC standard. The DRAM has been tested at 5-5-5-15 and 1.9v.

One can not guarantee an overclock, but you should be good at 900Mhz. You might have to raise the Vdimm a bit but those modules are warranted up to and including 2.1v.

Archived